What kind of gas do you put in your tank ???

Burning higher octane fuels can actually lead to the engine developing a knock. This is because the engine was actually only designed for 87 octane. 91 or higher won't burn completely and leaves residue, that residue will screw up piston timing. Also the piston heads can get screwed up as well, but is significantly less likely. 91 could actually do more harm to these type engines over the long run.

That was funny, Did someone say they used 93 octane because they had a "performance" muffler and an intake??? I almost pissed myself laughing. What does he think he has there, a performance car now?? It's a ******* Protege!!! If you took any kind of Chemistry classes, forget what a mechanic says, you will know exactly what octane is. Lower octane gas does not have "more stuff" floating around in it. Do yourself a favor, read a book, and not SCC or Turbo~~most of those guys huff high octane too. Read about gasoline and its properties. Additives such as octane, hexane composites, toulene, decane. Come on people.

what he says down below. You will not and cannot tell a difference in running a higher grade when you have an intake and muffler. I bet you think you get a 10 horse gain because each thing you have bolted on should give you 5 hp. You don't need to run anything higher than 87 and the computer in the car is set for that, so running higher is not doing a thing except taking more money from your wallet, or in some cases in here your purse.

Shawn said:
haha, an intake and muffler will never change your car's fuel requirements from regular to premium fuel. Unless you play with the timing or compression ratio, no higher octane fuel will go hand-in-hand with better performance. Spend a few hours and do some quality research. Those who have are telling you to stick with 87. You may think you KNOW it makes an increase in performance but in a Protege5 I guarantee it is the placebo effect you are feeling.:rolleyes:
You are going to believe what you want but if you or anyone else actually cares about what is best for their car, they will research it and discover that regular will burn cleaner and leave less hydrocarbon build-up than premium in a new, low compression vehicle. Octane prevents early ignition(knocking) thus raises the threshold of spontanious combustion by pressure alone. This also means that your normal engine will not as easily ignite and completely burn off a premium octane fuel than a regular octane. So it is wasteful and leaves more residual carbons to build-up and slowly clog parts of your engine. Also, a lesser combustion will result in less pressure created and thus less power.
Basically, if you raise the octane, you need to find a way to burn the fuel more completely. Some possibilities are increase the compression(pistons, forced induction) or get hotter spark plugs.
I'm just trying to let people know what is best for their cars. If you don't want to believe some of this, do some research yourself or choose to live in ignorance.
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

An answer to that queston!

Great article on Car and Driver.com, just the answer we need to end this dispute.

http://www.caranddriver.com/xp/Cara...11_feature_gasoline.xml?&keywords=fuel&page=1

For those who are too lazy to click on the link. :) ppl at Car and Driver went out an test on what will happen if we put premium gas in a car (Accord) which only requires regular and regular gas in a car (M3) which requires premium. The result is that if you use the wrong fuel, (premium in Accord/regular in M3), it will actually decrease the performance of your car.

I hope this will end all the ph-word, no more fuss. just good old 87.

Last edited:
Most of you is saying regular is the best for the P5 and thats what it says in the manual......But that doesn't mean supreme gas will hurt the enigine ...right ?? Who knows if it will give the car a better performance or not.....but I know one thing is that its not gonna hurt our car.......I use supreme all the way......Just maybe 5 more bucks.....who cares !!!
I think the manual just says to put regular gas....it doesn't RECOMMEND it..........does it ??!!!!! If it recommend its.....than its a different story.....

amen to that white zoom zoom.......its use not recommended use of regular......so why not go for better or at least what should be better

Irony -

"i use 93 because I KNOW that it shows a big difference in performance " and to have "Think Smart" in the signature.

Actually I used to think the same thing. But after working on cars in college I discovered differently. There were quite a few TSB's out there describing premium fuel blends as being the actual cause of cold weather driveability problems on some cars. Also, premium fuels sometimes have longer carbon chains. Combine that with their higher resistance to ignition and you have a greater potential for carbon buildup on the combustion areas. Now you created a problem that wasn't there before. The owners manual is your friend, read it and follow the directions. The gas company didn't design the car so I don't think they know what's best for it. That goes for the Tornado too....

Last edited:
I know it may seen simple, that using a higher grade gas will increase performance, since it is a higher number. But learn what the number means, and what it means the motor has to do. YES, it will negatively affect an engine that recommends ~~yes, recommends~~ 87 octane. There is a complete science behind this simple statement I make, believe me. You will not "blow your engine up" using it, but with everyone talking performance, and tyrying to squeeze every last bit out by adding intakes and exhausts, gasoline is the more crucial, and burning the wrong kind will negatively affect performance. Our motor will never completely burn a 91-93 octance rated gas. You will slowly deposit carbon on your valves and pistons, creating a "need" for high octane due to its higher flash point (because you are now compressing gas more). Higher compression achieved this way is not desireable, let me remind you. Lower octane gas burns more readily, and more completely in the case of our motor. Pay what you want, I will use 87, and you will have no advantage, if some disadvantage, when we are sitting at the stop light.

WhiteZoomZoom said:
Most of you is saying regular is the best for the P5 and thats what it says in the manual......But that doesn't mean supreme gas will hurt the enigine ...right ?? Who knows if it will give the car a better performance or not.....but I know one thing is that its not gonna hurt our car.......I use supreme all the way......Just maybe 5 more bucks.....who cares !!!
I think the manual just says to put regular gas....it doesn't RECOMMEND it..........does it ??!!!!! If it recommend its.....than its a different story.....

DO you not listen, or do you just like being ignorant about things, the link above was provided to hep educate you on hte matter at hand. It helps if when you come in here you have something constructive and informative to say not well it is only $5 more So I will do it anyway. The car is not designed for anything higher that 87, and intkae and exhaust does not warrant higher grade fuel either. The only time you would need to run 91 or higher would be if you were running a turbo, and then only because it would help deter detonation.:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :rolleyes: :mad:

4DRMP5ATR said:
amen to that white zoom zoom.......its use not recommended use of regular......so why not go for better or at least what should be better

Higher octane does not equal "BETTER". This is what you should understand. More expensive does not mean better. Did you even read the above posts?

LambOfSilence said:
Great article on Car and Driver.com, just the answer we need to end this dispute.

http://www.caranddriver.com/xp/Cara...rds=fuel&page=1

For those who are too lazy to click on the link. ppl at Car and Driver went out an test on what will happen if we put premium gas in a car (Accord) which only requires regular and regular gas in a car (M3) which requires premium. The result is that if you use the wrong fuel, (premium in Accord/regular in M3), it will actually decrease the performance of your car.

I hope this will end all the ph-word, no more fuss. just good old 87.

I now repeat, The result is that if you use the wrong fuel, (premium in Accord/regular in M3), it will actually decrease the performance of your car.
If you are decreasing the performance, obviously this can be considered bad for the car.

WhiteZoomZoom said:
Who knows if it will give the car a better performance or not.....but I know one thing is that its not gonna hurt our car.......I use supreme all the way......Just maybe 5 more bucks.....who cares !!!
Many people know, many people care. It will 'hurt' the car or at least hinder the car a little bit. I would never try to tell you what to do but am only trying to suggest what has been proven to be the best for your vehicle. If you really want to spend a few more bucks on gas, some fuel injector cleaner may be a good idea.

In the end it is your hard earned money, but we all come here to learn so hopefully this has been useful.

Shawn said:

Higher octane does not equal "BETTER". This is what you should understand. More expensive does not mean better. Did you even read the above posts?

I now repeat, The result is that if you use the wrong fuel, (premium in Accord/regular in M3), it will actually decrease the performance of your car.
If you are decreasing the performance, obviously this can be considered bad for the car.

Many people know, many people care. It will 'hurt' the car or at least hinder the car a little bit. I would never try to tell you what to do but am only trying to suggest what has been proven to be the best for your vehicle. If you really want to spend a few more bucks on gas, some fuel injector cleaner may be a good idea.

In the end it is your hard earned money, but we all come here to learn so hopefully this has been useful.

I don't think these guys are going to listen no matter how many times we tell them this. :rolleyes:

Sorta off-topic, but, I wanted to ask, well, after reading the many replies, I see that low octane gas burns easier than the high-octane gas so there's less carbon build-up in the engine. Well, in turbo/supercharged cars, do you have to run high-octane gas then? What happens if you don't? Do you get short-term reduced performance, or is does something bad happen to the engine over the longterm? I'm not talking about some aftermarkt turbo or anything, just a factory one, like, I don't know, say a VW 1.8T car or a MB C-coupe (supercharged).

hakushi no sakura said:
Sorta off-topic, but, I wanted to ask, well, after reading the many replies, I see that low octane gas burns easier than the high-octane gas so there's less carbon build-up in the engine. Well, in turbo/supercharged cars, do you have to run high-octane gas then? What happens if you don't? Do you get short-term reduced performance, or is does something bad happen to the engine over the longterm? I'm not talking about some aftermarkt turbo or anything, just a factory one, like, I don't know, say a VW 1.8T car or a MB C-coupe (supercharged).

for a STOCK application.....it would be as easy as looking into the manual and seeing what the factory recommends. for they are going to let you know what THEY designed the cars system for.

I feel like I'm on the Mr. Obvious show.

Thanks for the link. That was the most informative article I've ever read on the subject. It was scientific, clear and extremely supportive of Mazda's requested specification.

In the manual.

What they said.

Car and Driver agrees.

Sheesh!

Well, what do u want me to do..apologize? s***, im young and i have a young mind. I never thought about all that compression and combustion s***. I did take physics and i slept through most of it but i still knew what was goin on. I understand now so everyone that thinks there the s*** and im not can kiss my ass. For those who helped me understand that 93 isnt the right gas, thanks. For those that just keep draggin on about the s***, middle finger when i see u. Oh yeah, see u at the Nopi's!:eek: :p :D

After reading the article i am now convinced i should use the cheap gas. I have been using the middle gas and i have 9,200 miles on my car. Does anyone know if it is better for me to just stay using the middle gas or should i just start putting the cheap one. Because im not sure if it is bad to switch the kind of fuel you use. Please let me know. Thank you

Back