Gas Tank Heat Shield Drilled Through

cx5boo333

2021 Cx5 GT AWD
Hey everyone, unfortunately at my 35k mile oil change/tire rotation, my Mazda dealer sent me a video from under my car showing everything (everything else was great), and long story short the fuel tank's heat shield got a hole drilled through it, most likely someone trying to steal gas. They didn't reach or puncture the gas tank thankfully, but I was wondering what you all would do if you had the option to replace a 99% good heat shield with one hole in it. The folks at the dealer told me that since the hole is so small that they personally wouldn't worry about replacing it (I asked if it was their car what they would do) I have family members telling me I should just replace it though. I'll attach a couple screenshots of the video so you can see the hole and how small it is. Please let me know if you'd replace it (for a whopping $500) or if you're pretty certain that it would be ok to keep it as is. Thanks, as this is quite a weird situation and I'm not sure yet! (Also, resale value with the hole wouldn't matter, as I plan to keep this amazing car till it won't run anymore)

Attachments

• IMG_2311.PNG
    IMG_2311.PNG
    147 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_2312.PNG
    IMG_2312.PNG
    157.9 KB · Views: 73
I would plug it, so water doesn't enter and rust later. I would never replace it at that price. I'm thinking a 1" fender washer covered with muffler cement? or ?

Thanks @erhayes and @ceric for the replies - when I drive back to NJ in a few weeks for the summer, I'll probably get it welded by someone I know. I could try to DIY before then, but I'd do a horrific job most likely so I'll take a few weeks chance and hope not too much water gets in the hole. What an odd situation!

Um, that the gas tank heat shield, right?
Maybe welding would not be a good idea, unless you remove it first.

As mentioned above, I would get some metallic tape of some sort and just tape it over.

Even better, a small piece of aluminum JB Welded onto the shield over the hole.

Hey everyone, unfortunately at my 35k mile oil change/tire rotation, my Mazda dealer sent me a video from under my car showing everything (everything else was great), and long story short the fuel tank's heat shield got a hole drilled through it, most likely someone trying to steal gas. They didn't reach or puncture the gas tank thankfully, but I was wondering what you all would do if you had the option to replace a 99% good heat shield with one hole in it. The folks at the dealer told me that since the hole is so small that they personally wouldn't worry about replacing it (I asked if it was their car what they would do) I have family members telling me I should just replace it though. I'll attach a couple screenshots of the video so you can see the hole and how small it is. Please let me know if you'd replace it (for a whopping $500) or if you're pretty certain that it would be ok to keep it as is. Thanks, as this is quite a weird situation and I'm not sure yet! (Also, resale value with the hole wouldn't matter, as I plan to keep this amazing car till it won't run anymore)
It’s the gas tank shield, so don’t weld the hole unless you take the shield out like Buzzman12 said.

I’d use epoxy to patch the hole.

F75C1734-435A-4E1B-B8A2-5E98EBDE4474.jpeg

Last edited:
I would do... nothing at all. (Correction: I would mix myself an Old Fashioned and never give that hole in a heat shield another thought!)

Last edited:
I would do... nothing at all. (Correction: I would mix myself an Old Fashioned and never give that hole in a heat shield another thought!)
IMO, do nothing may not work for the OP. The shield seems to be made of galvanized steel and it may start to rust from the hole, especially if the OP lives in the snow belt area.

If i did anything at all, it would be painting the hole edges with a q-tip. Most likely I'd forget to do that.

Prolly ought watch where you park the car.

You don't need to do anything, at all. It will still shield heat perfectly, and it doesn't matter if it rusts a little. It won't affect it over a decade or more of life.

The hole was made with a drill, extracting the bit pulled the thin metal out with it. Very normal when drilling holes in thin sheet metal.

The hole was made with a drill, extracting the bit pulled the thin metal out with it. Very normal when drilling holes in thin sheet metal.
Yeah, this explanation makes the most sense (to me), also cause the marks look like they had a hard time getting the drill in place.

Agree. But begs the question, what were they trying to do? Blow themselves up!

There's been many reports of people having the gas stolen from their tanks with the perps drilling a hole in the tanks and draining using this method. I wouldn't recommend it but, hey, that's just me.

Back