What kind of gas do you put in your tank ???

well i just middle grade and thats it not high not low just in the middle and i aint had any probs and i am at 19,000miles

I read this whole post from beginning to end (it was like a good Hemingway novel) and could not be more convinced of the following:

1. It is best to use the manufacturer reccomended octane.
2. If I feel the need to question the manufacturer reccomendations, then using the compression ratio as a guide to picking the proper octane is appropriate.
3. My feeling any performance difference whatsoever from using higher than proper octane would be strictly a figment of my imagination and completely against all the laws of Physics (which I can honestly say I did not sleep through).
4. If Korey Chaos feels that some of us think we are better than him despite no comments make directly towards that assumption than that is most likely related to his level of maturity as well as his own insecurity in his opinions and mistakes.

For the record, I have always used and am on my last tank of 97 octane Chevron gasoline. 87 from now on.

Re:

Wanna ask a stupid Q!!!
Since the 2nd tank I am using 92(Is almost 8 months already!!!)
Then if i switch it to 87, will it be any prob???
Reply my Q plz.......TANG Q TANG Q!!!

Here we go again. :rolleyes: Ok im young. And? Im not beating myself over this and who said anything about me being insecure? Everyone makes mistakes. U live and learn. Im not losing sleep over this so Sean, why are u? Give me my nuts back and talk about something new. Oh yeah, how many wet dreams did it take u to come your conclusion? :eek: :p

Last edited:
Here we all go again.

Ther manual for the MP3 calls for good ol' 87 octane pump gas. It runs fine with that gas. However, on the gas door, there is a decal that says "Premium Preferred" that looks like an add-on.

The explanation I heard somewhere was that the computer backs off the timing where it hears pinging (even minor) and that the request for the premium is to keep the computer from maybe doing that.

I have tried it both ways and have not noticed a difference.

So from this Ive gathered that premium should be used, with an additional octane booster if available right?

damn er'bodies a smart ass up in here, i use middle grade cause i figure hey it cant hurt and it can only do better.............and if it does hurt it will only hurt just a bit.................no biggy here.........drive fast, drive hard thats my motto.........

Last edited:
It's all good guys. Korey, there's no need to continue the little banter war. The point I wanted to make, which I should have just said rather than making a jab in an earlier post, is that if you all are going to argue a point at least make it a logical argument. In addition, try to keep the posts somewhat intelligible - insults, swearing, and primitive phrases such as "Think Hard, Brake Fast!!" just causes many people on this board to not take you seriously. And when no one takes you seriously, you might as well not post at all. I do appreciate the enthousiasm, but when the guys and gals that know what they're talking about give the advice we are all here to share, the least everyone can do is take it and be grateful. I won't post on this again, so anyone feel free to steal the last word.

Still got nothin but love for ya,

OK heres an update, from the first tank that I put into my car in October Ive been using premium, after this thread I ran my tank down till the low fuel light went on and I filled up with regular (87 octane)

I SWEAR MY CARS SEEMS TO HAVE MORE POWER!!

or it could be the placebo effect

Great information guys. I am glad to know that I don't have to use 93 oct in the PR5. I absolutely have to in the miata because it requires it or knocking will occur.

definitely the placebo effect there...lower octane = less power...higher octane = more power. just look at dynos with cars running pump gas and race gas (of course these are in highly modified cars...makes a big difference there...wont see such gains in our limp n/a motors)...as for the mp3 manual...mine says premium gas...i think it actually says 91 or higher. its actually a sticker that goes over the regular print...perhaps they put a regular protege manual in your car...or forgot to put the sticker. either way i only put premium in my car...will only put premium in any of my cars...just because it makes me feel better.

kep0ne said:
definitely the placebo effect there...lower octane = less power...higher octane = more power. just look at dynos with cars running pump gas and race gas

Did you READ this thread at all? I mean, how clear can people be?

I put gas in my new car for the first time yesterday. I felt cheep putting in the 87 octane , but Im convinced by most of you that it is best for the car, I will keep putting the 87 in.

Todd

Back