what is clutch chatter?

kk52736

:
2003.5 Mazda Protege 5
my clutch problem

i just want to know what is the explaination of this clutch chatter, how, and why, and when it happen?

i got some problem with my clutch these two days because of the cold weather -30c, and clutch is twice harder than usual, and not smooth. just wanna anyone have this problem here?

and going to send my car in for service to look for the cause of the problem tomorrow.

Last edited:
I always believed it to be when you are engaging the clutch slowly like in 1st gear to start and it doesn't slip, but catches, lets go, catches, lets go etc... and it gives a weird engagement.

Not sure if this is clutch chatter, but I think it is. Usually happens with aftermarket clutches with soft engagements.

Stiff in the morning is normal, that's just the fluid being all stiff. Chatter is what makes your car buck when you release the clutch, usually during cold takeoff.

TSB description:
"Some vehicles may exhibit a clutch chatter or judder when releasing clutch during cold conditions. This may be caused by the flwheel and clutch cover surface materials creating a chatter or judder during clutch engagement. The flywheel and clutch cover has been revised to correct this concern."

http://web2.airmail.net/theman/protegefaq/

edit: but as for the tsb above, I think your year P5 was already fixed for this.

pretty sure it's happening to me, when it's really cold out and it hasn't warmed up yet, if I engage it too quickly it jolts me forward kinda like I downshifted too far and then recovers (usually then I clutch back in and try again slower)

but after 30 min warm up for my car and 30 min driving on it, it still hard to engage my clutch, is it right?

that's not the clutch chatter, I'm not sure what that is, it should definitely be good to go after an hour

ha, how can you drive to work for an hour, i usually warm my car up about 30 mins before i get into the car, and drive about 30 mins to work. so anyone know what is it?

Back