What is a good amp to power two subs?

So you have a JL audio 13W7 or Adire audio Brahma 15 perhaps?

WAY more infor needed then just that chief.
I need to know the sub, it impedanca dn voice coile setup.
Not to menting the price range you are looking at.

Don't foget to acount for the needed 1/0 power wire to run the system.

I dont mean to jack your thread but...

what is a good amp for clean power for my Adire Shiva? I am more interested in clarity than pure power.

Thanks

whatwhat411 said:
They are alpine type-r subwoofers SWR-1221D with dual 4 ohms. the coil setup is a brassvoice coil bobin.

Becuase they are DVC 4 ohm coils it is going to bit more difficult or expensive to get an amp. Also the subs are each 300 watt rms subs, not 1000 watts.
The Alpine MRD-M500 won't work since you will have either a 4 ohm load or a 1 ohm load and this goes for any mono block that can't handle a 1 ohm load.
To stick with alpine he best bet is 2 MRD-M300
The JL500/1 would be my choice but there are hundereds of choices.
If you want a single amp then a mono block that can be at its best at either a 4 or 1 ohm load or a 2 channel amp. Or you can use 2 mono bl;ock amps that are at there best when playing a 2 ohm load. Either way the amp/amps needs to be capable of atleast 500 watts rms. Also keep in mind many manufactureres out right lie about power so the cheaper stuff is usualy not as good nor typicaly in the same ball park.

smithers_0990 said:
I dont mean to jack your thread but...

what is a good amp for clean power for my Adire Shiva? I am more interested in clarity than pure power.

Thanks
650 watts rms seems to be the spec'd rms max for the shiva but it seems from reading there site that may be overkill.
With a single shica you will need either a 2 channel amp or a JL mono block as the shiva will present a 4 ohm load. Unfortunitly no other monoblocks other then the JLs can be at there best at 4 ohms. Also only a few companies still make high powered 2 channels.
Kicker and Phoenix gold I know do but I have only used the kickers and I wouldn't dexcribe them as producing clarity.

Best bet is to build a box for it then take the box into different stores and see what amp goes well with it.

jbl BP600.1 i know the 1200.1 will put out the same power whether at 2 or 1 ohm. the 600.1 *should* be the same, and it'll put out 600 rms at 1 or 2 ohm. you could also short out one VC on each sub and have SVC 4 ohm subs, so you can get an amp that's about 600x1 @ 2 ohm. here's some really good info about DVC subs:
http://www.adireaudio.com/tech_papers/dvc_subs.htm

I already have a box that I made its a 1.5 cubic foot 3/4" MDF box.

How would I go about hooking up a two channel amp so that it does 4 ohms?

Thanks

I would be sceptical of doing this on Alpines subs without alpines expressed assurance it will be ok and leave your warrenty in effect.

as far as the warranty goes, i couldn't tell you, but the mechanics of subs are all alike. an electromagnetic field moving a piston in and out;) it can't hurt the sub running one VC, but alpine might give you a bunch of crap about the warranty, if something were to happen.

He didn't mention how exactly to short the coil. Just wire the + to the - with nothing between?

just use speaker cable. a little short piece;) i've heard of people putting potentiometers outside the box, so they can adjust the sub without removing it.

That I realize but I want to be sure he means, short, as in connect the + and - terminals of a VC to each other and nothing else?

i meant the 1241D alpine 12" subs but the rest is the same. dual 4 ohms, and the brass voice coil bobbin. is a 1000 watts just their peak power they can handle?

Power Handling

Power Handling Capacity (Peak) : 1000W
Power Handling Capacity (RMS) : 300W

1st MP3 in NH said:
That I realize but I want to be sure he means, short, as in connect the + and - terminals of a VC to each other and nothing else?

yep, that will cause there to be a constant magnetic field from the inputs of that VC. all the movement will come from the other magnetic field the other VC causes, while the other shorted VC resists the movement, keeping the behavior of the sub the same as a DVC.

There seems to be something missing from this explination.
It would reason to me, if 2 voice coils working in phase puch a driver witha certian force based on a magnetic field cuased by moving electrons through that coil then if one of the coils is removed from having any flowing current it can not help nor hinder the movement of the sub any longer as it is no longer generating a field of its own.

For the sub to perform normally it mush have the power of each voice coils field. How can the energy of the single coils field creat the same mechanical enegry as 2 of them? Ones not even hooked up to the power source.

since the shorted out VC doesn't have any power going through it, it doesn't have much force keeping trying to keep the sub centered. it's just the force from the magnets, without the alternating current forcing the coil in a certain direction. leaving the VC open would take away half the force trying to keep the sub in the centered position, making it looser. i do want to test this, however, by taking a sub and measuring the force needed to push the cone with nothing hooked to the sub. then short out the terminals, and see how much force it takes then. as far as creating the same mechanical energy, the VC's are overlapped, so if you have the 100 watts going to each VC, the sub will perform the same with 200 watts going to one VC. it's all about creating the right magnetic field. dual or quad coils are generally for wiring flexibility and hooking up multiple amps. look at 2 subs in the same line. one SVC, one DVC. they will have slightly different characteristics, but the same power handling and excursion. applying the same amount of power to each sub will produce the same effect. same with comparing the same power input of a shorted out DVC sub to a DVC sub with both VC's hooked up. all the mechanical energy is created from the power coming into the sub, regardless of how many VC's are hooked up, or not hooked up;)

AH, twice thepower to a single coil, thats different. Now what if the single coil can't handle the extra power I wouldn'y think many subs with a 200 rms rating that are DVCs will do well for long if that full 200 was sent over just one coil?

Back