What interesting place have you Driven with the Mazda5?

:
2008 Mazda5 GT
Drove the Skyline Drive in VA this past week. It was in the foggiest condition I’ve even see, which was a buzz kill. Couldn't see more than ~10 ft at its worst but there were clear pockets. Didn't get to drive it all but didn't need too b/c I was getting bored of it. Saw a bunch of bikers who were prob more disappointed. Then again, this road there is suited as a cruising road b/c speed limit is 35MPH but the lane and turns are wide and can take on much more speed BUT deer and animals are known to jump out so that's a big risk.

The car was loaded with 4 adults, 2 kids, and bags stuffed all over. I would estimate ~800-~900 lbs so I had no intent on speeding through anyway. This is the first time I've had the car loaded and can say the engine handles fine as long as you don't mind revving it (3,000 ft high). BUT the stock brakes SUCK. I can see why Mazda says no towing...

http://www.nps.gov/shen/planyourvisit/upload/whole_park.pdf
Waited for a clear patch for this pic..

So what interesting roads have you been on or know about? I'm planning a road trip to Montreal this summer so any roads in upstate NY or New England would be great to hear about. :)

I took my honeymoon in Montreal from Indiana last summer. We took small highways the entire way and then rented a cabin on a lake north of Montreal. Took a couple days to make the drive each way and about two weeks in between. We drove through the Adirondacks, which I highly recommend.

Should also mention some other memorible drives.

-PA Grand Canyon. It was scenic and ok. Miata.
-HI Road to Hana. This is truly a driver’s road. So want to go back. Miata
-NV Red Rock Canyon. Beautiful road and scenic and this was in a Mazda5 rental :D

Last edited:
I drove up to the summit of the Mt. Washington Auto Road in New Hampshire last August. I only wished it was sunny and clear when my family and I drove up to the summit. Heavy rain and strong wind. Stayed at the summit for 15-20 minutes. Then we drove back down. Luckily about 1,000 ft down from the summit the rain stopped. So we pulled over to one of the rest points and got out to check out the scenery. It was still windy and cloudy, but we were still able to see the scenery. Pretty cool to be 5,000 ft above sea level.

I drove up to the summit of the Mt. Washington Auto Road in New Hampshire last August. I only wished it was sunny and clear when my family and I drove up to the summit. Heavy rain and strong wind. Stayed at the summit for 15-20 minutes. Then we drove back down. Luckily about 1,000 ft down from the summit the rain stopped. So we pulled over to one of the rest points and got out to check out the scenery. It was still windy and cloudy, but we were still able to see the scenery. Pretty cool to be 5,000 ft above sea level.
Thanks! OMG this route and scenery looks awesome! This is a must do for me. Thanks for the heads up.

@ Orangutan - Is there a particular road?

There's nothing like driving the mazda 5 under the guidance of a confused gps,
and conflicting instruction from back seat drivers. The joy of a family vacation.

This is in Canmore, Alberta last year.

Last edited:
Loaded with 6 passengers and belongings, the Mazda5 is comfortable mixing it up with the big guys.. This is a drive along I15 headed towards Riverside CA.

Loaded with 6 passengers and belongings, the Mazda5 is comfortable mixing it up with the big guys.. This is a drive along I15 headed towards Riverside CA.

Ha ha ha next time go by wave hello. You drove right past my house. The exit that followed right after your video finished is my exit. Between Palm and University.

So far, we have done a few trips in the last 4 years. Kingston, Ontario to Darrien Lake to Niagara Falls, and back. Kingston, Ontario to Tampa, Fl, to New Orleans, LA and back to Kingston (totally memorable), and again this year from Kingston, On to Miami, FL and back.

If all goes well, the next trip will be a route 66 journey... really can't complain about 1 minute behind the wheel of our 5.

Last weekend we took my 5 from Kentucky to Deadwood, South Dakota and back in 5 days (to see my very sick Grandma). She got better and the van was a blast to drive in the black hills. Win-win.

I drove the hell out of her in the past three weeks. About 3200 miles in all. Interesting places?

Did a parade lap around Road Atlanta - Would have been fun if we could go fast. But the kids liked it.

Drove about a hundred miles of the Blueridge Parkway in Virginia the week before last.

Went to Savannah over the 4th. Was just exploring when I noticed something odd on Hutchinson Island next to Savannah. Many of the inside turns have red/white curbing. Realized I was driving on the old Savannah Grand Prix Circuit. I did turn around for a more spirited drive back....

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=32.0...=v9dUIUYaSCrLI6BE2xWY3w&cbp=12,115.2,,0,15.64

Just got back from a trip to Hiawassee Georgia over the long 4th of July weekend, where I abused the crap out of the 5. I flung that van around every mountain road I could find, at speeds that far exceeded the limit, and had a blast doing. From Helen Mountain to blood Mountain, into Rabun county, I pushed the 5 to the limit. There is just something fun about passing other motorist on curves, all while revving the engine into the high 5000 rpm range. At one point my brother-in-law said " you are doing things to that mini-van, that mini-vans just shouldn't be able to do." It may not be a Miata, but for what it is, it sure is fun to drive on a curvy mountain road, and never complains about it being pushed to it's limits.

below a thunder clouds and there is hail. Scariest moment to be in a MAzda5 in the middle of the highway. What if the windshield breaks?

We took our 5 around colorado, utah, over to yellowstone, and the badlands recently. Lots of camping equipment and stuff in the back but we put some firestone coil rite air bags or something in the rear springs to help the car handle the weight. We're please to report the car was not doing a wheelie the entire trip.

Our 5 has never been to skyline drive, but the protege has been there like 3 times now. I actually like the 10 foot visibility, it's great if you're out there hiking around. Keeps it cool and everything looks weird. Here's a good picture to describe the 100% cloud cover we experienced while we were in Virginia buying my new-to-me wheels:
923307_626195817409870_1815136938_n.jpg

One thing that sucks a lot about the fog... i think that, after we went to a shooting range in west virginia briefly, the fog does an excellent job of making my nice rifles all rusty -_-

We did Brooklyn to Toronto via Niagara Falls which was nice. Last year we took it to Orlando but tried the Auto Train, NOT recommended! I also took the girls in their car seats to an autocross event. We almost won which blew minds across the board lol. Beating the turbo S2000 was not in the cards however.

I want to turbo it sooooo badly but its the family ride. I'm looking to see what develops with that ECU tune. I might do CAI with a cat back and tuned ECU. This car begs for another 20 HP. Oh we also did a Cape Cod drive out to P-town for whale watching, very nice fall drive!

Back