what if? should I have gotten a ms6?

MS6 suck (enguard)

J/K folks........

I almost bought a MS6 (06 SPORT model) for about 1k less than the new MS3 but the wife and i both like the MS3 better for the comfort and design, Though my wife does hate the ass of the MS3 (egg shaped she says)
I think the seats in the MS3 are better than the MS6 IMO.

Really what hurt was the fact i was afraid GAS mileageand overal maintence would suck badly and well i like the fact the MS3 is lighter and handles well. You can feel the extra weight in a MS6.
AWD is nice but my wifes SUV is AWD, so i figure in bad weather she can go play bumper cars with it instead of my MS3.

elderlycoffee said:
speed 3 is faster...
really... its not the tell all for how quick a car is but..
13.5 quarter on stock trim for a speed6 aint too shabby... has an ms3 hit these times yet..

Last edited:
AWD>FWD.

Which car is faster and handles better..well it should be obvious the mazdaspeed3 with it's better power to weight ratio. But for me the choice was clear when came time to decide between mazdaspeed3 and the mazdaspeed6.

Charlie

I drove both, and contemplated both. I could have gotten the MS6 cheaper (by a few $100) than my speed 3.

The 6 looks better IMO. The 3 was more of what I was looking for.

I really really almost waited for a 3. Only because I thought the ms6 would be something I couldn't never afford. But...

The MS3 would cost me about 100 bucks more then the deal I got on my 6. Plus, I live winter wonder land, so AWD was the obvious winner. The MS3 would have been a beast in our winters here. With the woman driving the car often, a 260hp fwd card + snow= death. With the 6, she gets around in the snow with ease. Next, I didn't want another "cute" hatchback, been there done that, and the 3 feels cramped to me. The seats are nice but I'm wondering how long they'll last after experiencing my seats in my old MSP. Seats that are 2 different materials have a way of not lasting. No doubt the MS6 is the heavier car, but don't let the weight fool you. Over real roads, you know those roads with those annoying things called bumps, the 6 has just enough play in the suspension to handle real life conditions without losing grip, I love it. It is a heavier feel in the steering and coming from the super nimble MSP it took time for me to adjust. Honesty, my MSP would skip and jitter over bumps that my MS6 takes with ease and that has nothing to do with AWD. On a track, obviously things are different. But there are no perfect roads where I live, and high power FWD cars are a handfull. Now that I have owned a AWD car, I'm never going back to FWD again. The MS3 is an amazing car, but the two are so different from each other it really is 2 different types of buyers.

As for the false statement "kind of AWD", you could not be more misinformed. Yeah the soobie's are more advanced, but I can get my rear wheels out any time I want on snow using no tricks at all, just mash gas peddle and turn wheel. That alone indicates this 100% FWD while turning bulls*** that gets flung around here is just that, bulls***. I think people need to stop reading forums and go drive the darn things themselves. The AWD in the MS6 is extremely effective in slippery conditions. I have never felt more safe, and had more traction in snow in any previous car or suv over the years. And folks, I KNOW SNOW, heck we get it 6 months a year. Heck, we still have snow up to my shoulders here :( -5 C here today.

Well said Newf. I have experienced everything you said. I have driven many cars in the snow and even with the slick stock tires the MS6 kept me moving where other cars might give up. About the snow though...its always good to remind people that AWD only gets you moving. When it comes to stopping, your weight, tires, and abs are what help the most. So if a MS3 and MS6 were both equipped with equivalent tires, the MS3 would have safer stopping power due to its weight....but that obviously doesn't matter if you can't get the car out of your driveway when there is 6"+ of snow on the ground.

I took the car out yesterday in the rain..and made a sharp right turn..onto the main road..normally in the rain..if I gave any gas in my old mazda p5 i would spin tires..and that was with OEM & aftermarket. Than in my maxima..i would spin slightly...but in the speed6...it just grabed..and i was up at 4-5k before shifting into 2nd....and it was sweet...AWD rocks..

chuyler1 said:
Well said Newf. I have experienced everything you said. I have driven many cars in the snow and even with the slick stock tires the MS6 kept me moving where other cars might give up. About the snow though...its always good to remind people that AWD only gets you moving. When it comes to stopping, your weight, tires, and abs are what help the most. So if a MS3 and MS6 were both equipped with equivalent tires, the MS3 would have safer stopping power due to its weight....but that obviously doesn't matter if you can't get the car out of your driveway when there is 6"+ of snow on the ground.

(mswerd)

AWD can certainly create a false sense of safety as well. Like you said, it only gets you moving, and has nothing to do with stopping. Killer is, it gets you moving so much more quickly, and you may find yourself going faster then you should. Even more so when the car is quiet, and you don't notice that you are doing 20 above the posted speed limit!
The weight has another advantage in the snow as well. I found my MSP to be too light, like it wanted to float above the now rather then dig into it. It would slip sideways on even the easiest of corners with no gas applied, and hitting the brakes didn't always straighten it out. Starting off always resulted in wheel spin in my MSP. With the MS6, it weight certainly pushes the car through slushy/deep snow better, but once she does slip, the weight is obvious.

my ms3 was almost the same price as my ms6.... i don't know about other states but here they're adding $5,000 to the sticker price because of the ms3 demand

Wait 4 months and you'll be banging your head on the wall. The price for the MS3 will go down...way down.

AWD is Nice and if you are in a climate where it has incliment weather 6 months of the year, you should buy a car w/ AWD. Down in texas where ice happens for 1 day a year, AWD isn't as important.

MAybe if i lived up north i would opted for AWD.

All AWD are effiecient and do what they have to. Hell my wifes Bravada has AWD and i can get it sideways and spin all 4 tires in crappy weather. I like the MS6, but it wasn't for me or the wife.

I will say MS6 owners seem to get REAL defensive about their cars.... why is that ???(poke)

J/K gents.....

MS3Chik said:
awd..i was thinking today..should i have gotten a speed 6..?
i dunno..more expenvie..i lke the hatch look better
Apples and oranges.

Do you want to make your decision based on someone else's personal preferences?

It all comes down to preference..as mentioned many times...I prefer AWD for when it rains or snows...over any FWD. The p5 used to spin tires..even when in stock form...i driven msp's too..and their fwd is just as bad..so much wheel hop u feel like tranny gonna come loose.

-C

Of course the P5 will spin the tires, it has an open diff. The Mazdaspeed 3 has a limited slip diff. that elminates the issue. The only thing you need for the Mazdaspeed3 is some good winter tires. I will mention, that my p5 does great in the snow and only really has issue getting started. Though once it gets moving, it does pretty good. I personally would only choose a car like the Mazdaspeed6 if I planned on getting more power with mods. With mods you could over come the extra weight and make it a faster car. Do not forget that you could always make the car lighter with getting a light weight battery, carbon fiber hood, and maybe a carbon fiber trunk if they make it.

Really it comes down to needs and personal wants.

I personally didn't like the look of the MS6. Don't get me wrong, I don't think it is ugly -- just a basic 4-dour sedan. They (MS3 vs. MS6) are fairly comparible in terms of performance, and I felt the hatchback was more practical as well. I have had many a sedan / coupe in my time (and one hatchback), and you just can't compare the two to a hatchback when you need to haul anything more than a trunk full of groceries.

matsuda said:
Apples and oranges.

Do you want to make your decision based on someone else's personal preferences?

I'll echo the echoes: personal preference is indeed the numero uno reason to go with one over the other. I owned the 6 for a good nine months and then had the 3 for about a month before I managed to sell the 6. The last time I drove the 6 (to the place I sold it to) I couldn't believe how much quieter it was than the 3 and how much it isolated road and engine noise from the driver. It was so clearly a much better mannered car than the 3. The 3 has a very sporty feel and sound during every second of your drive. The MS6, you mainly notice it's sportiness only when you stomp on the gas.

You can best summarize the difference b/t the two cars by the target cars each had in the design process. The 3's target was the WRX. The 6 was designed to go up against . . . nope, not the Evo or STi, although many mistakenly think this, but the comparable BMW and Audi models. You can really tell this when you drive the 3 for awhile and then hop in the 6.

I still miss the awesome, claw-footed launch and power delivery you get with the 6's AWD. But I personally prefer, the lighter, noisier, sportier feel of the 3, even it means having to put up with some bad road manners in the form of wheelspin, torque steer, and (worst of all) occasionally nasty wheel hop.

Nuff said?

well it depends what you want, the speed 6 can get out of the hole faster AWD, but its added power train loss and extra weight will steal tons of 000 mph, me for example love to race in the track, so awd works for me, if you like to have a faster car in the streets the MS3 is the way to go !

chuyler1 said:
Wait 4 months and you'll be banging your head on the wall. The price for the MS3 will go down...way down.

I guess I just noticed this post...what do you mean by way down? If you are talking about more than $500, I am curious on how you came up with your conclusion. Cars that are even moderately popular (certainly the MS3 falls into this category) do not drop the MSRP at all over time unless something seriously wrong is found with the car, or they are not selling at all. (Like the Chrysler Crossfire.) Even that takes quite a bit of time to happen. The first thing they do is offer dealer incentives and cash back programs. They will also offer really low dealer financing to move them off the lots. The LAST thing they want to do is lower the price....

Back