What have you done to your P5 today?

Made the most of the 60 weather by giving her a bath and waxing her. My mom commented on how small the car is... I still love it.

Parking her for what im planning to be a month now. Going to try hard to resist the temptation to do anything stupid (I.e. Driving her w/o insurance). On that note, I found out why its gonna be so high ($1500 for 6 mos.) its because my dads getting the step up from PLPD. I guess it includes the car- which im happy about but he's not going to get off my back any time soon for that...

Ill look at getting that CEL fixed nearer the time my dad gets back from KC. Just going to try and make sure nothing else goes wrong :)

got my mudflaps on and fixed the gauge lights for real this time

46924A8E-EC5C-41A9-823B-26450FE2E9C9-4165-000006694F0A95A7.jpg

thats the first P5 that ive seen that looks 'beefy'
I dig it.

In these past 2 days ive put in and taken out the alternator at least 10 times with no progress.
For the first time since ive owned this car, I think I might have to take it to a shop :(
A little part of me has died.

"Rear fender roll question".......... I want to have my rear fenders rolled due to tire/wheel rubbing. I currently have RX8 wheels fitted with falken 215/35/18 tires and it rubs when fully loaded during hard cornering and dips on the road. I've checked with local paint/body shops and want to charge me around $600.00, checked with another local wheel shop and said that the P5's rear fender lip is double layered and not wide enough to roll it, shop suggested they can mill/shave the inner wheel lip and center part of the wheel to reduce the offset to clear the rear struts for $70.00 per wheel. Which would be a total of $280.00 but if I do that and I have to replace one of the wheels later on I would always have to spend $70 bucks on top of the the price for the RX8 replacement wheel.

I thought of just replacing my RX8 wheels with the wheels from the prev gen Mazda 6 that were fitted with 18's, MazdaSpeed 3 wheels or even aftermarket brands, which in either way still going to spend more that I want to just to fix the minor rubbing but it may be more of a minor issue when I replace my tires to 225/35/18 later in the year.

I know i can buy the Eastwood fender rolling tool for around $180 with S/H included.

My question is, has anyone actually rolled their rear fenders using the same tool/method that everyone else uses to roll their fenders?

sounds like some BS, you can roll the fenders with a roller, heat gun, a 6 pack and some patients. Depending on the offset of the wheels you might need more camber

RX8 wheels should clear without fender roll (18x8 +50), but yeah BS about the double lip, its super easy to roll P5 fenders if no rust lol.

Back on topic - rushed to work this morning because our entire email system was down. Actually hit 120mph lol ... the header definitely gave me more power - with the 626 5th gear I could barely hit 100mph because there was not enough torque to for the longer gear ratio. Excited to see what I put out on the dyno now.

Since I have to wait on my water pump, I started swapping out the cams. Can't get the dowel pins out, I'd rather put in new ones anyway. I'll swing by a machine shop later this week or try my luck at a parts store today. Not looking forward to checking clearances and/or shimming.

Hey Circuit, how easy was the 5th gear mod?

Going to try to clean it out today, got all my tools and what not from my failed sway bar installation attempts.

I actually didn't do it myself. Way back when I got my MSP trans from Prodigy, I had him weld the diff and do the 5th gear swap. I think you can do it with the trans in the car tough, since there is the cap on the end that houses 5th and reverse.

RX8 wheels should clear without fender roll (18x8 +50), but yeah BS about the double lip, its super easy to roll P5 fenders if no rust lol.

Thanks for the reply. On my P5 it does rub a bit under load, tight corners and dips. I don't have a rear camber kit on my car and it rides on eiback pro kit springs. Will need to roll the fender when I change my tires from 215/35/18 to 225/35/18.

Do you live close to school? Im a few miles away, but its maybe a 10 minute drive? I wake up at 6:15 and leave by 6:40. Class starts at 7:13... What an odd number. But we get 10 minutes passing time. Look up PCEP. Its three schools on one campus. I try and get to bed by 10 but I've been in bed by 12... :S

I usually see a mate Saturday night but then homework never gets done...

It takes about ten minutes to get to school but I literally get out of bed, get dressed, brush my teeth, and head out the door. hahaha

You guys are lucky! I have a 30 mile drive EACH way for school, in another time zone, AND I don't get out of class until 9:40pm 2 nights a week. So jelly bros!!!!!

Made the most of the 60 weather by giving her a bath and waxing her. My mom commented on how small the car is... I still love it.

I too capitalized on the nice weather yesterday. Took her through a basic wash at the gas station and did a decent wax at home. I love the water beading off the car the morning after a good wax. Celebrated it with a few leftover Christmas brews and some disappointing football.

In other news, I ordered some error code eliminators for my HID's. I installed the harness and double-checked all of the connections to see if that solved the flickering problem, but to no avail. I honestly think the temperature has part to do with it, but for $30 shipped, I'll take it.

Thanks for the reply. On my P5 it does rub a bit under load, tight corners and dips. I don't have a rear camber kit on my car and it rides on eiback pro kit springs. Will need to roll the fender when I change my tires from 215/35/18 to 225/35/18.

Most likely

Hey new guy here. Names Cameron from southern MO. Just got a 2002 Protege5 white mint condition with 171k miles. got tons of mods soon to come [some being delivered at the moment]. mostly just look upgrades. such as black euro tails, new fog lights since one has a crack in it with yellow fog light tint, new front billet alum. grille, 3in. silver and black mazdaspeed antenna, ebay mud flaps and ebay fake turbo whistle. ya, i know. the real turbo and tons of engine and suspension upgrades to come after tax season :). looking around at the moment for a front light bar for the protege5s and having reallllllly bad luck and hope someone can message me a good referral. this is a really badass site and gonna stay till my project is done. pics soon to follow. someday. soon as i figure out how to move pics to an xbox360 or ps3 which i use internet on...... anyways, whatever.

Back