What have you done to your P5 today?

Hi BP5, which "rear-frontward" control arms did you get and where did you get them? I've installed my Delphi trailing arms and have the "rear-rearward" TRW control arms, but I haven't purchased the "rear-frontward" control arms yet.
Here’s a snapshot of the rear suspension components I purchased from Rock Auto.

Not looking for anything sporty, just trying to clean up the clunks.
4FFAAB78-DF4E-4B7D-B221-8FDA8F9E78C7.png

Hi BP5, which "rear-frontward" control arms did you get and where did you get them? I've installed my Delphi trailing arms and have the "rear-rearward" TRW control arms, but I haven't purchased the "rear-frontward" control arms yet.
Sorry just throwing in my two cents here. But I just recently learned the hard way that the front rearward arms on a drum brake models are slightly longer than on the disk brake models. It wasn't marked very well on RockAuto, so just make sure you double double check the lengths with your old ones before purchasing. They are I think 0.5" difference in length.

Sorry just throwing in my two cents here. But I just recently learned the hard way that the front rearward arms on a drum brake models are slightly longer than on the disk brake models. It wasn't marked very well on RockAuto, so just make sure you double double check the lengths with your old ones before purchasing. They are I think 0.5" difference in length.
Thanks for the heads up. I did verify (and it asked to make sure on the site) that I was buying the arms for the disc brake P5.

Started with the easy job. No more cracked and leaking overflow tank.

Still waiting on the trailing arms to arrive, hopefully before the weekend so I can tackle the suspension.
E87EE090-0A53-4693-A361-D9CE538C3B98.jpeg

Attachments

• 841BBCF7-9290-449F-9FCF-13E42766DACC.jpeg
    841BBCF7-9290-449F-9FCF-13E42766DACC.jpeg
    93.5 KB · Views: 49
Since I had about two hours of daylight after work, I set out to replace the rear trailing arms.

Really not a tough job, because this car has been in California since the day I bought it new from the dealer in ‘03. Took about 90 minutes give or take. The forward bushings were shot.

I lifted it off the jack stands after they were installed and the bolts were finger tightened, then lowered the rear wheels onto ramps before torquing down the bolts.

Hoping to get much more suspension work done this weekend.
C18D1D51-C680-4FF4-B459-2E61138B3816.jpeg

Attachments

• C9A75AA0-E579-4625-A52A-ADC48C076B14.jpeg
    C9A75AA0-E579-4625-A52A-ADC48C076B14.jpeg
    180.9 KB · Views: 51
  • 66AB7ACC-B30D-469D-A895-ABC6F575787B.jpeg
    66AB7ACC-B30D-469D-A895-ABC6F575787B.jpeg
    154.7 KB · Views: 53
  • 9773AFFA-89CD-4D34-A3D3-45D151A81B8E.jpeg
    9773AFFA-89CD-4D34-A3D3-45D151A81B8E.jpeg
    210.6 KB · Views: 50
  • A9BD82CA-B4DB-49D8-9678-D196D45A060D.jpeg
    A9BD82CA-B4DB-49D8-9678-D196D45A060D.jpeg
    252.5 KB · Views: 52
  • 6B1F2BDA-287E-4FD1-9B67-5F23049B6C82.jpeg
    6B1F2BDA-287E-4FD1-9B67-5F23049B6C82.jpeg
    190.1 KB · Views: 58
I took two hours just to get one bolt out of my rear trailing arms :p
(might have been the cross arms, the long bolt through the hub was very stuck)

Also, mad props for buying the car new AND keeping it for 20 years
I’ve heard the horror stories. I haven’t purchased the lateral arms yet, but I’ve been thinking about grabbing the Megan Racing kit to have some adjustability once I lower it a bit.

Not looking forward to removing that longer rear bolt, that’s for sure.

I have held on to it for sentimental reasons.
It was my first brand new car, I’ve taught both of my sons how to drive a manual in it, and it still makes me smile when I drive it. 😎

Last edited:
I’ve heard the horror stories. I haven’t purchased the lateral arms yet, but I’ve been thinking about grabbing the Megan Racing kit to have some adjustability once I lower it a bit.

Not looking forward to removing that longer rear bolt, that’s for sure.

I have held on to it for sentimental reasons.
It was my first brand new car, I’ve taught both of my sons how to drive a manual in it, and it still makes me smile when I drive it. 😎
I haven't found a deal I like yet on the rear-frontward pair of trailing arms. They're $40+ apiece at Rock Auto, so let me know if you find a good deal. I may replace only the rear-rearward ones that I have lying around and do the other pair later on when I find a deal.

Sounds like I need to start spraying that long bolt now, and on a daily basis. @LankyKiwi , is it supposed to be difficult to remove that bolt even with an impact? Thank god we have no rust down here in Texas to speak of.

I got my P5 new in late '02 and haven't been able to let it go. Was going to replace it with a BRZ and then realized I could just keep it and add a Miata. Problem solved. :p

Sounds like I need to start spraying that long bolt now, and on a daily basis. @LankyKiwi , is it supposed to be difficult to remove that bolt even with an impact? Thank god we have no rust down here in Texas to speak of.
An impact will make it a ton easier, and a good overnight soak with penetrating oil you should be right 👍
Getting the nut off was the easy bit, getting the long bolt out through the hub was the challenge 😅

Got some fresh new kicks today. Man what a difference. Nitto NEO GENS

Attachments

• B3C2EC6D-4DC9-4535-AB44-A3323C744D6D.jpeg
    B3C2EC6D-4DC9-4535-AB44-A3323C744D6D.jpeg
    139.4 KB · Views: 52
  • EC4AFDCE-3E8F-4096-86A4-7822B686D88C.jpeg
    EC4AFDCE-3E8F-4096-86A4-7822B686D88C.jpeg
    156.1 KB · Views: 55
I took two hours just to get one bolt out of my rear trailing arms :p
(might have been the cross arms, the long bolt through the hub was very stuck)

Also, mad props for buying the car new AND keeping it for 20 years
bought mine new in jan 04 and i think i've been on here since 05....the car is completely original and has never been modded in any way. ( only one of those statements is true )

.....and I need to check my front trailing arm bushings....GTSpec on car...oems on the shelf somewhere

bought mine new in jan 04 and i think i've been on here since 05....the car is completely original and has never been modded in any way. ( only one of those statements is true )
That’s awesome! I’ve only just now started heavily modifying mine after 20 years.

knocked out a few lingering tasks on the P5 that had been hanging over my head. My 17yr old son recently got motivated to get his license so we've been putting a lot of time in driving. He just got his license on Friday, and he's been enjoying have a car for freedom.

Upgraded to the Sedan center console and added my larger drink holder. The consoles are like 99% similar, but definitely cannot put the exposed cupholder into the covered cupholder one. Also upgraded the horn from the road runner beep/beep to a very bright euro sounding one.

My 19yr old daughter got sidetracked from driving for a few years, but surpsied me wiht her license on Saturday. Sounds like she is more interested in a P5 than my MSP (which kind of makes me happy that I can keep it around) - but wow! There are some dogs out there for sale. Plus I know I will need to go through brakes, tires, control arms, battery, valve cover gasket, interior, etc. just to bring it up to "I don't need to worry about getting the call" for a stranded car.

IMG_4844.jpeg
IMG_4849.jpeg

When I replaced my rear struts a few months back, I reused my KYB bump stops that were only six years old and in great shape - better shape than the KYB struts I was replacing. Problem was that the KYB bump stops were made to work with the plastic KYB dust boots and not with the original OEM rubber boots I was reusing. (OEM bump stops are meant to fit inside the rubber OEM dust boots from what I have read on the forum. The widest part of the KYB bump stop, its "lip," at the bottom of the bump stop shown below prevented the bump stop from fitting inside the OEM boots.) This caused the rubber boots to get all scrunched up above the bump stop, and left the struts piston exposed to grit and grime.

1694295474357.jpeg

I wasn't going to remove both rear struts to fix this, so I had to shave the lip off the bump stops while the struts were still on the car. I removed the tire and used a utility knife to very carefully trim them. They now fit within the OEM dust boot and allow the boot to drop down and cover the strut piston.

1694296457947.jpeg

Back