What have you done to your P5 today?

I need to do a refresh on all my suspension bits on my msp. Delphi seems like a pretty reputable brand. Anyone else have experience with their parts?

That's a smokin deal on a good looking trailing arm. BRB while I add these to my amazon cart
All I really see on amazon.com for the P5 are the Dorman brand. I read some pretty bad reviews about Dorman's timing belt cover for our cars and that has jaded me towards the brand. I was on Amazon's waiting list for some AC Delco "Professional" trailing arms for ~$25 apiece for months, but they never came back in stock. I gave up and got the Delphi ones from Rock Auto for the same price. If you need rear rearward control arms, TRW ones are on closeout for $17 apiece plus shipping from Rock Auto. I bought them but haven't installed them as replacing them could change my alignment.

I will say that replacing just the two trailing arms has helped with some of my remaining rear-end clunks. I'm looking forward to replacing the four remaining arms in the rear, but not looking forward to dropping the gas tank or whatever is required to replace the rear forward control arms.

All I really see on amazon.com for the P5 are the Dorman brand. I read some pretty bad reviews about Dorman's timing belt cover for our cars and that has jaded me towards the brand.
Not a fan of Dorman either, but I have those same Amazon Dorman trailing arms on my P5 and they seemed good when I installed them.

F2VxKeLa8AAsZHa.jpg

FYI 17" MPV wheels fit very nicely :p

Also, +1 for Delphi parts, have all been decent quality when ever I've used them

Wheels do look nice. Alright, looks like whole car is going to be powered by Delphi now.

Bought some new tires. Haven't gotten them installed yet but thought I'd mention the deal I got them on.

They're the Continental DWS06+ in 205/50R16, online at Walmart. I got a set of four for just under $500, which is $125/tire before install fees (which I think will be around $80).
DWS06+ 205/50R16
Looks like Walmart also has a deal on the 205/45R17 size for 17" wheels.
DWS06+ 205/45R17

Haven't driven on them but they seem well rated for a UHP A/S tire and it's a pretty decent deal compared to the other options I've seen out there.

My old BFG gForce Comp2 A/Ss have only made it (safely) to about 25k so hoping the Continentals last a little longer. That's probably mostly due to my aggressive driving though 😛

Reactions: 323
After 3 years of sitting in the driveway due to a blown engine, she’s up and running again!

I feel like a child on Christmas Day cruising around in it.

Low-mileage engine transplanted along with clutch/flywheel assembly, new motor mounts, radiator, pumps, pulleys and belts, plus an AC Compressor and lines.

I’m falling in love with it all over again. I found some wheels from a local enthusiast and plan to work on suspension and brake upgrades next.

The clear coat has failed on the roof and hood due to the California sun, so a gloss black wrap may be in the works for a temporary fix.

0EF4E33F-0F44-49A7-A984-6338C0B21A3B.jpeg

Attachments

• 4886B14C-4FC4-4620-A135-2B7338851C35.jpeg
    4886B14C-4FC4-4620-A135-2B7338851C35.jpeg
    116.8 KB · Views: 46
  • 3366C9E4-089B-4901-8663-7C8B48D69E08.jpeg
    3366C9E4-089B-4901-8663-7C8B48D69E08.jpeg
    168 KB · Views: 44
After 3 years of sitting in the driveway due to a blown engine, she’s up and running again!

I feel like a child on Christmas Day cruising around in it.

Low-mileage engine transplanted along with clutch/flywheel assembly, new motor mounts, radiator, pumps, pulleys and belts, plus an AC Compressor and lines.

I’m falling in love with it all over again. I found some wheels from a local enthusiast and plan to work on suspension and brake upgrades next.

The clear coat has failed on the roof and hood due to the California sun, so a gloss black wrap may be in the works for a temporary fix.

View attachment 321319
Oooh Laser Blue! I think that's my favorite color on a P5. Curious, what kind of low mileage engine did you get - is it a USDM junkyard engine or a JDM engine?

Oooh Laser Blue! I think that's my favorite color on a P5. Curious, what kind of low mileage engine did you get - is it a USDM junkyard engine or a JDM engine?
It was something sourced locally, still getting all the info from my mechanic.

It does drive and sound super smooth so I’m happy with it. Never gonna be a fast car, just a fun cruiser. 😃

It was something sourced locally, still getting all the info from my mechanic.

It does drive and sound super smooth so I’m happy with it. Never gonna be a fast car, just a fun cruiser. 😃
The oil change place responsible for trashing my engine in 2020 replaced it with a JDM one from a local, reputable vendor. With all the mayhem during the early days of the pandemic, the shop never gave me any details on the transplant engine (e.g. mileage). Without my having access to the donor vehicle, a JDM (or USDM) used engine reseller (or the original recycler) can simply lie about the mileage. I've heard that reported mileage on used engines often conveniently seems to fall within the same Goldilocks range... But as long as the engine is solid (mine is, and sounds like yours is too) you should be happy. :)

Interesting. Never heard of AST struts. Where'd you pick those up from?
From a member of a FB Protege5 group who is parting out his silver P5. They are from the Netherlands, I'd never heard of them before either. They are fairly new, in great shape, and were a decent price, so I'm happy to give them a shot.

Previous owner claims they were just stiff enough to be fun, but don't rattle the trim loose on your car, LOL.

I need to do a refresh on all my suspension bits on my msp. Delphi seems like a pretty reputable brand. Anyone else have experience with their parts?
I'm looking at Delphi control arms right now. Maybe some trailing arms as well.

Have you purchased anything yet? Curious to know what you think.

I haven't purchased anything yet. I just got done figuring out an issue on my MSP and now I have to set it aside to work on one of my wife's cars. One of her hard brake lines started leaking while I pulled it into the garage earlier this week. Luckily it happened on the driveway and not while she was on the highway or in traffic! Once I fix this brake leak, I will resume purchasing parts for the MSP. I'll work on updating my thread more for my MSP if you all are trying to follow along :p

I haven't purchased anything yet. I just got done figuring out an issue on my MSP and now I have to set it aside to work on one of my wife's cars. One of her hard brake lines started leaking while I pulled it into the garage earlier this week. Luckily it happened on the driveway and not while she was on the highway or in traffic! Once I fix this brake leak, I will resume purchasing parts for the MSP. I'll work on updating my thread more for my MSP if you all are trying to follow along :p
I just placed an order for the Delphi control arms and trailing arms, and some end links.

I grabbed a few camber bolts too just in case. I think the strut/spring set I just picked up has close to a 2” drop.

I’ll keep you posted when I receive the parts and start the installation.
👍🏼

Reactions: 323
I just placed an order for the Delphi control arms and trailing arms, and some end links.

I grabbed a few camber bolts too just in case. I think the strut/spring set I just picked up has close to a 2” drop.

I’ll keep you posted when I receive the parts and start the installation.
👍🏼
Hi BP5, which "rear-frontward" control arms did you get and where did you get them? I've installed my Delphi trailing arms and have the "rear-rearward" TRW control arms, but I haven't purchased the "rear-frontward" control arms yet.

Back