What have you done to your P5 today?

gonna have my Godspeeds up for sale soon... going with a set of YellowSpeeds for my car as they are working with me on a small project :)

How'd you get Yellowspeed to sponsor you? What'd you have to do, promise them something? Go to shows? Sell your soul? lol I'd love to get some goodies from them

Scored charcoal set and plain set of filters to complete adding cabin air filters..............already scored the door and the bracket to modify the evap box to accept filters.

Looks great BP5! The paint looks to be in top condition. You have looked after it well.

Thanks Jazzy.
It's got a few dings, and the hood has lots of chips, but it's held up nicely considering it's been outside in the California sun since day one.

scored charcoal set and plain set of filters to complete adding cabin air filters..............already scored the door and the bracket to modify the evap box to accept filters.

i got my brackets as well, what filter did you get. With the dimensions from another thread i sourced out a cabin filter from a silverado 99-03. Will try it out this weekend.

Does the 1.8 coil conversion have any effect on performance? I don't mean hp, but do they use the same spark plugs? Run the same volts or current? Is it plug and play, or is rewiring necessary? I'm no electrician so sorry for noob questions.

Not done the conversion myself, but the general consensus is no they don't. No difference in performance what so ever.

I know what the general consensus is, that there is no power increase or decrease. I'm asking for specifics involving the proper operation of the engine and the installation.

i did the conversion on my motor...

18118769_10211541853293658_7303281786327236380_n.jpg

it actually DOES help smooth the motor out overall. youre increasing the diameter of the spark plug wire vs the tiny diameter wires of the factory top mount units.... which in turn helps provide a much wider path for the electricity to follow thru. also purchasing a GOOD set of plug wires increases damping of electricity escaping from the wire via insulation of the wire itself with the outside casing. also, aesthetically, they look SO much better. with 1.8l plug wires and coilpacks, you can relocate them off the motor so they dont get as hot too.

with the 1.8l units, its not about increasing horsepower with the ignition, its about creating a stronger and more insulated spark for the ignition... which in turn creates a smoother pull thru the powerband of the engine due to better spark and better insulation.

install is very straight forward. you will need a 2002 626 valve cover (i stripped, wire brushed and painted mine with high temp paint + clear coat), 1.8liter coilpacks, 1.8liter spark plug wires and a brand new valve cover gasket as seen below... took me a whopping 30 minutes to install everything.

17190356_10211099995007477_7791926598802420433_n.jpg

Last edited:
i did the conversion on my motor...

18118769_10211541853293658_7303281786327236380_n.jpg

it actually DOES help smooth the motor out overall. youre increasing the diameter of the spark plug wire vs the tiny diameter wires of the factory top mount units.... which in turn helps provide a much wider path for the electricity to follow thru. also purchasing a GOOD set of plug wires increases damping of electricity escaping from the wire via insulation of the wire itself with the outside casing. also, aesthetically, they look SO much better. with 1.8l plug wires and coilpacks, you can relocate them off the motor so they dont get as hot too.

with the 1.8l units, its not about increasing horsepower with the ignition, its about creating a stronger and more insulated spark for the ignition... which in turn creates a smoother pull thru the powerband of the engine due to better spark and better insulation.

install is very straight forward. you will need a 2002 626 valve cover (i stripped, wire brushed and painted mine with high temp paint + clear coat), 1.8liter coilpacks, 1.8liter spark plug wires and a brand new valve cover gasket as seen below... took me a whopping 30 minutes to install everything.

17190356_10211099995007477_7791926598802420433_n.jpg

Does the 1.8 coil pack plug into the existing ignition wiring after removing the 2.0 coil packs? Is there a how-to for this conversion somewhere? Also, why the 626 valve cover? Thanks for the detailed info

The harness from the 2.0 coils plugs right into the 1.8 coils, you have to cut the tape off the harness and re-route the wires. Just don't mix up the plugs, the one for cyl 2-3 goes to the 2-3 1.8 coil and the same for the 1-4 coil. The 626 vc is shaped properly for the different wires and deletes the posts for the stock coils. They also have tabs on the front if you choose to get the little brackets and plastic clips for the wires to route them a little cleaner.

https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123650373-2-0-conversion-to-1-8-Coil-Packs

https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123814355-1-8L-Coil-conversion

Installed my MP3 rear sway bar, AXR brackets (thanks again to member Subsparx)
and Energy Suspension greasable bushings.

Changed out the straight grease fittings for 90 degrees, so I can grease them without
contorting around the lower control arm to reach. Bushing directions say to give them
three pumps with the grease gun - 2 pumps and they were spewing. They must have
meant one of those little baby grease guns!

Reconnected the standard end links and they look like they will work fine, if anything
it looks like shorter ones would work with standard Protege rear struts. Are the MP3/
MSP rear links built with opposing ends instead of both on the same side?

Anyway, killing time while I wait for my new steering knuckle to arrive...

Last edited:
Cool thread with mods done by everyone! Today, I washed my P5. Haven't washed it in maybe 2 years, really. Washed it, then discovered many nooks and crannies that need to be washed again. Will do it maybe next week. It's hard to find space to wash the car in Japan.

As for other stuff that I've done to my P5 in the last several years: Corksport shifter bushing. Corksport steel braided brake lines. Installed AWR rear sway bar and Mazdaspeed Familia springs and dampers (i.e. Racing Beat springs and Tokico blues). Stripped, wire brushed, filled, primed and painted the OEM MP5 wheels black and installed Costco Michelin Enersaver whatever eco 195-55R16 tires. Used, unknown brand carbon fiber hood (but the framing is still metal). 8 mm wheel spacers all 4 corners (fronts are barely 5 threads in, not recommended for everyone).

Want to do: Rear tower brace, front AWR tower brace, go turbo or Mazdaspeed Familia engine swap...

Does the 1.8 coil conversion have any effect on performance? I don't mean hp, but do they use the same spark plugs? Run the same volts or current? Is it plug and play, or is rewiring necessary? I'm no electrician so sorry for noob questions.

Not done the conversion myself, but the general consensus is no they don't. No difference in performance what so ever.
As has been mentioned, it isn't about more power but it does get coils off top of motor, and does smooth out what pwr you do have. Using the long reach plugs helps this too. The 626 cover is optional. You can also use the MSP vc with cover and cut out for plug wires to run under it. The wiring harness for coils has to be opened up and coil leads separated out,wrapped/covered and run to new coil location. Was worth it IMO.

323F_mtr_03.JPG

Spark plug info............

https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/sho...lug-recommendation&highlight=long+reach+plugs

Last edited:
As has been mentioned, it isn't about more power but it does get coils off top of motor, and does smooth out what pwr you do have. Using the long reach plugs helps this too. The 626 cover is optional. You can also use the MSP vc with cover and cut out for plug wires to run under it. The wiring harness for coils has to be opened up and coil leads separated out,wrapped/covered and run to new coil location. Was worth it IMO.

323F_mtr_03.JPG

Spark plug info............

https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/sho...lug-recommendation&highlight=long+reach+plugs

Cool. But does moving the coils off the top of the motor have any benefit? I'll have a guess an say it's to do with heat.
But then that picture shows the 1.8 coils mounted on top of extractors, which would be far more hotter than any valve cover/cylinder head.

Latest posts

Back