What have you done to your MSP today?

So I was chilling with a good friend checking out his black MSP, and his car is running funny, maybe you guys can help me out.
mspS by korbancorbett, on Flickr

His car runs fine out of boost but as soon as you start to hit boost ( about half throttle and more than 3-4 psi of boost) it starts to shudder, almost like a mis-fire.(still hits full psi 5-6.5 psi) the problem only exist under boost or wide open throttle. The ignition system has been checked ( new wires/coils/plugs) o2 sensor replaced/Maf checked. my question is, when our cars hit boost does the ECU change timing?
I'm thinking maybe his timing is off, but not sure.
what do you guys think
oh and only mods are a FMIC w/ relocated MAF and bov

I kind of had the same problem with mine, and it was because I had a small boost leak and a bad wastegate actuator. But that's the extent of my knowledge. lol.

Edit: If you ever sell your MSP, I want it. hahahaha.

Yes the ECU adjusts the timing in boost but that is not the problem. It could be a dirty MAF, incorrectly gapped plugs, failing coil pack, boost leak, even bad gas in the tank.

Yes the ECU adjusts the timing in boost but that is not the problem. It could be a dirty MAF, incorrectly gapped plugs, failing coil pack, boost leak, even bad gas in the tank.
OK cool thanks, MAF has been clean, plugs where replaced and gapped same time the coils where replaced. but ill let him know to re-check all that

i thought msp didnt come with a sunroof? or am i missing something check the craiglist ad http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/cto/5073188127.html
oh and i might check this thing out..pretty cheap and local to my parents house. mayb change my car from yellow to black lol
So I Texted the owner of this msp on craigslist and he claims that the leather seats are stock from factory and his car is "limited edition"... Lol.

its entirely possible he got leather seats as a dealer option and paid extra for them.

ps. a limited limited!

its entirely possible he got leather seats as a dealer option and paid extra for them.
But isn't it strange that no other msp owner has had leather seats? I mean, if it was from the dealer, at least a few MSPs would have leather seats. At least a few...

depends on which dealer and what they offer. i know the dealer here would have been perfectly happy to stick p5 leathers in there and marke it up a couple grand lol. im not sure how the dealerships are required to sell the trimlevels ect. i sure wouldnt trust an aftermarket sunroof though...

of course.. by the vin number logic.. mine doesn't even count!

Last edited:
depends on which dealer and what they offer. i know the dealer here would have been perfectly happy to stick p5 leathers in there and marke it up a couple grand lol. im not sure how the dealerships are required to sell the trimlevels ect. i sure wouldnt trust an aftermarket sunroof though...

of course.. by the vin number logic.. mine doesn't even count!
True. The guy still hasn't responded. Here are the pics he sent me:
4dac3438fc64c5f8fb95adb6d7244734.jpg

b9ac29ab5e98e33d600c528adae65626.jpg

im not talking about the ugly two tones you see so much of either.. they just sold a tasteful black leather package. i wish we could have got an es that had it.. wifes car has every option but the leather.. which is why it will be so nice when it looks like an msp on the outside =)

Had an iffy connection for my cam position sensor. Went to the jy got an undameged connector. Soldered it in reset the ecu and test drove her ageist my friend on my gsxr 750 most say she ran well Ll but in wot

sure does look like p5 optionals.

Maybe the front but the P5s didn't have seat back pockets and the P5 and sedan rear seats do not interchange. Those look like custom covered seats, probably a dealership job or it was done early in the car's life. Can't tell if the doors have been covered in leather as well.

Went to a meet last night and got into a couple friendly pulls with a modded 6th gen Golf GTI. He was alone and I had one passenger and on 11psi we were neck and neck, neither of us pulled one each other for both runs. He said he was running 18psi and making about 260-275 at the crank... Seemed like a cool guy, he was either full of s*** or my car makes more power than I originally thought. I could tell he was surprised and a little disheartened when I popped the hood to show him it was just an MSP with the stock original drivetrain and turbo pushing 170k miles.

Last edited:
Those are sedan leathers. I've seen sedans with leathers before, just not as common as in the p5. I know a guy with an 03 es with leathers. Most likely the owner swapped seats or it's just and es with some msp stuff bolted on

Back