What have you done to your MSP today?

Maintenance day. Car runs so much better today with some minor adjustments. Looks better too.

So, yeah, car's doing GREAT... Then, after work, I'm going to see my girlfriend at work before I go home and the clutch master starts failing.... I barely made it home before it was of completely no use. As I'm backing into my driveway, it goes to the floor. Look under the dash and sure enough the damn thing is leaking. Four ******* days. A brand new (aftermarket) part. The one before that at least lasted 6 months. Plus the fact it's for a regular Protege. And I've got that heavy pressure plate now. I got in the Rx8 after having driven this car for the past week and slammed the clutch pedal to the floor. It's like it's not even there when compared to the MSP. lol

I'm trying to decide to up the boost to 22psi. I've got AFRs in the low 11's right now, so I've still got a lot of room to play, plus Ive not even started messing with the timing tables yet.

I'm trying to decide to up the boost to 22psi. I've got AFRs in the low 11's right now, so I've still got a lot of room to play, plus Ive not even started messing with the timing tables yet.

I'm sensing a catastrophic BOOM soon (squinty)

hopefully I'll have my GoPro recording if it happens. lol

So, the last clutch master made it 6 months with the Exedy stage 1. It lasted a couple of days after the ACT install. Then the new one lasted 4 days. I'm considering going with a custom Wilwood master cylinder.

So, the last clutch master made it 6 months with the Exedy stage 1. It lasted a couple of days after the ACT install. Then the new one lasted 4 days. I'm considering going with a custom Wilwood master cylinder.

So should I expect mine to fail if I go with a stage 3 clutch?

I'm honestly not sure. Maybe it was just a failed component that was assembled incorrectly or something. It happens. I'm going to warranty exchange this one again. If it goes out again, though, I'm going with a Wilwood or similar setup. I'm not the only person running this clutch, so I doubt there is any real concern for you or others to have to replace chronically failing CMCs.

I'm honestly not sure. Maybe it was just a failed component that was assembled incorrectly or something. It happens. I'm going to warranty exchange this one again. If it goes out again, though, I'm going with a Wilwood or similar setup. I'm not the only person running this clutch, so I doubt there is any real concern for you or others to have to replace chronically failing CMCs.

Alright keep us posted, maybe another option would be to use a ms6 one if it fits.

The ''universal'' Wilwood is only about $50. I need to measure the OEM one I have to see if I can locate the correct one. I think the bore on the OE is .6"

what symptoms when the master goes off? other than the clutch doesnt work heh. been wondering if the CONSTANT fiddling with the clutch rod is because one of the cylinders is done.

Fluid bypassing internally will allow the pedal to bleed down. Sometimes very slowly, sometimes quickly and you lose the ability to shift as well as leaking hydraulic fluid from the piston side of the bore. Pull back the slave boot and if you see brake fluid, you've got a failed slave. The best way to check is crimping off the line and lock the pedal down. See which side leaks down. If it's on the pedal side, it's the master. If it's on the transmission side, it's the slave.

First day of working on the yellow car. Deleting the power steering right meow.

I've really got to get past this putting-s***-off attitude I've got going on lately. The MSP is still sitting there needing the clutch master. I had it done in 35 minutes last time, but put it off last night and now it's raining and 40 outside.

Alright keep us posted, maybe another option would be to use a ms6 one if it fits.
I'm curious where you got the idea to use an MS6 CMC... I just looked at it out of curiosity and looks as though it would work. I'm looking into it.

spent some time on reassembly tonight. go the intake manifold on and most of the vac/coolant hoses reattached. hit a few snags though...
i dont know how its possible as both p5s were 2002 models with 2.0fs engines and abs ect. basically identical cars.. but there is a orange harness near the power steering pump location that doesnt match. both ends are 3 flat prongs but one end doesnt fit into the other... black car is gone so i cant fish the sensor that its attached to.. can i break the harness apart and insert the leads?
also, i cant get any clutch pedel pressure. i know the clutch worked when i got the car cause i was able to start it for a half second with the blown rod.
we swapped in a new brake resivoir but i cant see anything missing. pushing the pedal sometimes squirts a little fluid out the slave if ive been pushing it for a while but it never moves a good amount of fluid. is there a trick to prime the clutch?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back