What have you done to your Mazda5 today?

I'll double check, looks like the top hooks are only on the seat backs

From your pic, I have the rear seat protector cover and the cargo net not the cargo cover.

The net fits like this with the seats up

06_Mazda5_CargoNetUp.jpg

Davicho, where is it rubbing? Inner or outer part of the tire? If it is outer part, adding spacer will increase the rubbing.

It's definitely rubbing on the inside not the outside. However after looking at it closely today. If I add spacers it will most likely fix the inner rubbing problem but may cause it to rub on the outside. So ultimately I just need a 40 series on a 225 tire and/or possibly a 215/45 just to be extra sure on the clearance which happens to be the stock size for the 1st gen MS3 wheel anyway.

I installed the rear springs and assembled the fronts tonight. No spring compressor necessary to assemble the fronts. I am not looking forward to removing the fronts, but that will happen tomorrow. Did you use bushing grease on the front bumpers? By the way how do you like the Konis?

I love the Koni, ride quality at 50% feels very close to stock but suspension dive when braking is greatly reduced. Since it is thesame size as the Stock shocks, shock travel is not compromised which is also great compared to some other kits.

I'm did not use bushing grease. The OEM bump stop fit very very snugly in the strut bearing notch which is at the very top of the shock shaft. It is pretty much in a non-moving part of the shaft so I didn't think it was needed.

No noise yet <knock on wood>

Installed new KYB Excels with H & R lowering springs. Thanks to whoever suggested using a quarter to spread the knuckle open to remove the front struts. Genius, a handful of hits with a hammer and piece of wood and they dropped right out. Very pleased with the ride, the car feels new again.

a>

Last edited:
The quarter didn't work out too well for me, it kept sliding....so I switch to the strut spreader tool which I had from my VW days which didnt work out too. So I eventually used a ball joint removal tool from underneath.

15400889427_90f8c43cbb_b.jpg

The quarter didn't work out too well for me, it kept sliding....so I switch to the strut spreader tool which I had from my VW days which didnt work out too. So I eventually used a ball joint removal tool from underneath.

The problem is the foreign coin!
No really, I tried a nickel and I caught the edge like you did.
The quarter is a little larger and not quite as smooth. I also tried an L bracket and it spun out as I tightened the bolt on it
Try toony or a loony next time.

Last edited:

Courious how/why the spreader tool didn't work for you? Is it b/c it doesn't open it wide enough?

My ghetto home made one works GREAT! Trick is, you need a 2nd bolt to jam it open and you can freely work with the knuckle. For those planning to do this, Lowes also sells a 2" wire wheel ($4?) so you can clean up inner wall nicely/easily.

It did not open wide enough to slide out easily. On VWs the knuckle opens more uniform. Once the tool is turned 90 degrees at the center of the knuckle, the strut slides out relatively easy.

On the Mazda, I turned the tool 90 degrees at the center of the knuckle but the strut didn't budge. The center opens wide but the top and bottom are still slightly closed. I had to start at the bottom of the knuckle working my way up while banging furiously all at about 10pm at night so I had to think of a quieter way of doing it in order not to piss off my wife or neighbours. If it was during the daytime, I could have got away with banging it while using the tool. Using a second bolt to jam it open work have worked great, I wish i thought of it.

It did not open wide enough to slide out easily. On VWs the knuckle opens more uniform. Once the tool is turned 90 degrees at the center of the knuckle, the strut slides out relatively easy.

On the Mazda, I turned the tool 90 degrees at the center of the knuckle but the strut didn't budge. The center opens wide but the top and bottom are still slightly closed. I had to start at the bottom of the knuckle working my way up while banging furiously all at about 10pm at night so I had to think of a quieter way of doing it in order not to piss off my wife or neighbours. If it was during the daytime, I could have got away with banging it while using the tool. Using a second bolt to jam it open work have worked great, I wish i thought of it.

Funny, I ordered the VW tool and it showed up today, after I changed everything out this past weekend with the coin trick. I guess I will keep it in case I ever buy a VW. Do the new GTIs use the same type of steering knuckle?

Never hurts to keep a tool like that in your toolbox for that day in the future when you or a friend need it.

The new 2015 mk7 GTI has thesame knuckle. Mine was a 2010 mk6...in fact the 2006-2014 GTI has near identical front and rear suspension setup when compared to the Mazda5. When swapping suspension the only difference I can think of is the HID leveling sensor which is on the lower control arm on the GTI and has to be removed/re-installed.

So I finally got my alignment checked since the suspension was swapped. I have a lot of camber.(crazy)

FL: -1.8
FR: -1.9
RL: -1.8
RR: -3.1

Sweet, when my 13 year old daughter starts driving I think she is going to inherit the 5 and I am going to find myself a used GTI or Mazdaspeed 3.

I spent part of yesterday fussing with my new phone, trying to get it to behave nicely with the Bluetooth on my '12 Five Touring. Prior to having Bluetooth in the car, I wouldn't have known or cared whether it worked right, but I've kind of gotten used to having it!

My old phone, which I've now had for probably five years, doesn't provide fancy features like track and album information displaying on the dash readout, but has always behaved very predictably via the Mazda5's Bluetooth, right down to keeping the same spot on a track when I got back in the car after a stop - especially useful when listening to mp3 audiobooks with 60 minute tracks. My new phone has lots of nifty features, but it's all wonky in its Bluetooth music player behavior, very often starting a paused track playing over the phone's speaker as soon as I turn on the car, even with the radio off! It's even once in two days of ownership failed to connect a phone call to the car's speakers, which is crazy distracting when I'm driving.

The phone manufacturer suggested checking the devices' Bluetooth profiles for compatibility ... I think I've managed to obtain the profile information by connecting my Bluetooth-enabled laptop to each device (including the car!), but now I'm not sure what to do with the information other than show it to the store tech rep who sold me the phone and ask if he knows anything.

I installed the second carseat - took our first ride with both kiddos. (daughter was born a couple weeks ago)

I installed the second carseat - took our first ride with both kiddos. (daughter was born a couple weeks ago)

And how convenient is that sliding door with the car seat? :) I put my younger kid on the driver's side, so to help her out of the car all I have to do is get out and turn around. It's about as convenient as ducking into the baskseat area of an American-style two-door car, and maybe even more convenient since it's easy to access the side of the seat. Have I mentioned on here before that everyone with small kids should test drive a Mazda5? LOL

Back