What have you done to your Mazda5 today?

So I don't have to rent a spring compressor? Hmmmm I was thinking about that last night while I was falling asleep.

You only have to rent a spring compressor to disassemble the unit. But since you will not be using your original springs or struts, Its not necessary at all. The H&Rs are short enough that you won't need a compressor when assembling them with your new struts. Don't forget to get new strut mounts before you start.

Yes, I have H&R springs as well. The ride is very similar to.stock, and that's with 225/40-18s. Not jarring but it handles like it's on rails now.

Hey Hibern8r I know that you and I have different generation MZ5s but do you experience any tire rubbing at full lock up front and at full compression at rear with that size tire? I'm running 225/45R18 and I do experience some rubbing under those conditions. I'm also running H&Rs too. I'm just trying to determine what size tire I should get next. (225/40 or 215/45 or 215/40)

So I don't have to rent a spring compressor? Hmmmm I was thinking about that last night while I was falling asleep.

You need two of each....strut mounts, strut bearings, bumpstops, dust boots, lower dust boot holder.

The price adds up so it might be worth it to use the existing ones from your stock setup. Parts source rents the spring compressor for free, princess auto sell it for $20.

Hey Hibern8r I know that you and I have different generation MZ5s but do you experience any tire rubbing at full lock up front and at full compression at rear with that size tire? I'm running 225/45R18 and I do experience some rubbing under those conditions. I'm also running H&Rs too. I'm just trying to determine what size tire I should get next. (225/40 or 215/45 or 215/40)

I'm 1st gen on H&R and koni yellow, 215/45 and same wheels as you. No rubbing at all.

I think I got everything, the parts should be here this week. If need be I can " borrow" a spring compressor from my local Autozone. I tried to replace as many parts as I could, I bought the car new in 05' and besides regular maintenance it has not cost me anything. I am also trying to justify the expense by telling myself it is better for me to do the work than the clowns at Mavis Tire. I guess that would be like your Canadian Tire. No disrespect, I happen to be Canadian.

No rubbing on the rx8 wheels w/ 50mm offset. Try coming down to 225/40. 215/40 will be pretty short and may not protect your wheels as well. Maybe next month, I'll be putting the stockers back on.

Last edited:

I have 225/40/18 on MSpeed wheels, H&R springs 2nd gen, no rubbing even when loaded up

Sweet! Thanks Hibern8r and Mopho for sharing. I will definitely be coming down to 225/40 when I need tires or I get really tired and annoyed with the slight rubbing. Now that I remember, Ryan (90210) had mentioned that you (Mopho) were running 225/40 on yours and he had taken a couple trips with you up north without rubbing. Anyone want to trade tires?? LOL!

There is another obvious solution to prevent rubbing with the 225/45/18 which is to either buy a set of rims with less offset than the stock +50mm on MS3 or +52 on stock MZ5 rims. I'm running 7.5 inch wide rims with +45 offset and I could easily fit a 235 series tire. If you must use stock Mazda rims, just buy a set of 5 or 10mm spacers.

There is another obvious solution to prevent rubbing with the 225/45/18 which is to either buy a set of rims with less offset than the stock +50mm on MS3 or +52 on stock MZ5 rims. I'm running 7.5 inch wide rims with +45 offset and I could easily fit a 235 series tire. If you must use stock Mazda rims, just buy a set of 5 or 10mm spacers.
Hmm okay. Great info guys. Looks like I'll either need a set of spacers or just run a 40 series tire because the 45 is just tall enough to rub. Thanks again guys.

05fad70ebae24d5fee8701e56427b8ac.jpg

Picked up a cargo cover off CL for $70. Got a cargo net too but you can't use the cargo net with the seats down, oddly.

Davicho, where is it rubbing? Inner or outer part of the tire? If it is outer part, adding spacer will increase the rubbing.

I think I got everything, the parts should be here this week. If need be I can " borrow" a spring compressor from my local Autozone. I tried to replace as many parts as I could, I bought the car new in 05' and besides regular maintenance it has not cost me anything. I am also trying to justify the expense by telling myself it is better for me to do the work than the clowns at Mavis Tire. I guess that would be like your Canadian Tire. No disrespect, I happen to be Canadian.

Good choice. I replaced it all when I did mine too. The boot holders are missing in the pic. I forgot to install it initially and had to take it apart two weeks later.

15104811569_8990aec47e_h.jpg

Back