What have you done to your Mazda5 today?

Is this the entire pedal assemblies or just the pads?

I got all the assemblies but I only swapped the gas assembly. It was easier for me to just swap the clutch and brake pedal covers which are identical in shape to the stock rubber covers. Cant swap just the gas pedal cover anyway. The gas pedal assembly was an easy swap. The brake and clutch assemblies looked identical and are much harder to access the mounting nuts, so I decided I didnt want to spend the time to swap those assemblies. The gas pedal assembly has identical mounting points and wiring connector, but the pedal at rest sat a bit higher than the non-Speed pedal.

Does the gas pedal assembly make it easier to heel toe? I believe it is one unit and has a higher arc at rest and when brakes are fully depressed. How do you like it? I have Mazdaspeed covers (4) and plan to add some spaces to raise the height of the gas pedal (without having to modify anything). If this works better for you then I hope I can simulate a similar effect. Btw, the cluth pedal cover looks like it would be better suited for brake duty bc it has the curvature for you to toe brake, no? Looks good!

Yes Mazdaspeed gas pedal sits a bit higher. It does seem a bit more responsive. (Wishful thinking?) I like it. Looks better too. Brake and clutch pedal covers have identical shape and dimensions. Brake cover has pattern for heel-toeing.

(another reply with the same pic)

so, you left in the thick winter floor mats?

Also, don't you hate how close the gas and brake pedal are to each other?

yeah, my all weather mats are all year round. i used to think the pedals were too close, coming from decades of driving Hondas. but I'm used to them now.

I like pedal proximity. What I don't like is how close the center console is so close to the gas pedal... There's little to no space to the right of the gas pedal makin it hard to drive with boots on (not that I wear boots often).

I agree. Had the same problem with boots when I picked up my 5 right before winter. But I got used to it. now I can drive no problem with boots.

yeah, my all weather mats are all year round. i used to think the pedals were too close, coming from decades of driving Hondas. but I'm used to them now.
i guess my real problem is what Silent was saying... there is no room to the right of the gas pedal. for work, i have to wear boots, so when i take the 5 in, which happens every now and then, it can be annoying. the biggest problems are that my boot will catch on the brake when getting off the gas, and my foot will hit the brake when trying to get on the gas.

im used to just rocking my foot on the heel to go from gas to brake, so i have to lift the foot up and try to keep it straight up and down when i am in the 5.

Two items were addressed and fixed today:

1. Hit my brakes hard to stop (activating ABS) pedal went all the way down and remain spongy after that for a couple times before returning to normal about a month ago. Last night another idiot did a last second jaunt into a gas station provoking the same sudden stop with ABS this time pedal did the same thing bu remained spongy and would go down to the floor all the time.

FIX - Had my brake system inspected and found no leaks. Had the entire system flushed and brand spanking new light honey clear DOT-3 fluid replaced the old dark brown one. Brakes feel just like new again.

2. A/C compressor had been noisy for some time but still blew cold. However just this last week everytime it went on it sounded like an AK47 was going off but still blew cold (at least I thought).

FIX - Had the compressor inspected and it was leaking PAG oil and some freon. Bit the bullet and bought me a brand spanking new OEM Mazda compressor and had it installed. Now it really blows COLD and is silent as it should be.

Total spent:

Brake flush: FREE
Compressor: $470 (employee cost)
Labor including 1.5lbs of R34: $93.75

SCORE!!!!
It pays to work at a dealership and make good acquaintances at a Mazda dealer.

Put air in tires. :p

Attachments

• IMAG0002.jpg
    IMAG0002.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 195
Had a shimmy/vibration in the steering wheel when braking, so replaced both front rotors and pads. Have about 43k on it, so the at least the pads were due for replacement. Parts cost about $155. Labor = free, I did them myself. Shimmy is gone, so I guess I did something right.

^ I have the same problem, at something like 28,000 miles. I need to take it in to the dealer for my hard 1-2 shift problem anyway so I'll have them check it out, see if it's something warranty-able, and just do it myself if it's not.

Close proximity GOOD.

Not on this car. The brake pedal is way, way too close to the gas pedal. I have to take my foot off the brake pedal, hit it against the console, push the outside of my foot down first, then the inside, just to keep from pushing the brake pedal down instead of the gas. It's ridiculous and my #1 complaint about the car. It's for midgets.

Not on this car. The brake pedal is way, way too close to the gas pedal. I have to take my foot off the brake pedal, hit it against the console, push the outside of my foot down first, then the inside, just to keep from pushing the brake pedal down instead of the gas. It's ridiculous and my #1 complaint about the car. It's for midgets.

+1

my feet arent that wide but my foot always gets stuck on the brake pedal. (auto trans... which is worse)

is that the optional wing for the sport model

looks a bit different than the stock spoiler.

took the thule rack off for the season, not going to be any home projects during the winter that I need to carry anything large.

+1

my feet arent that wide but my foot always gets stuck on the brake pedal. (auto trans... which is worse)

Interesting- I never have that issue at all, even wearing my super wide Dr Martens. Are both of you driving auto or manual?

I believe they are both auto. I've rented an auto Mz5 twice, one week long each, before I decided to pick one up. I can relate to what they are saying about how you right foot can be prone to tap the brake pedal but the problem is not b/c the pedals are close, but rather b/c there is NO space to the right of the gas pedal. I guess you can also say it would be better if both the brake and gas pedals were relocated an inch or so to the left to create some space. Bottom line, it’s great for manual drivers :D now if only the gas pedal was raised a tad – need to get a move on in fixing that.

I believe they are both auto. I've rented an auto Mz5 twice, one week long each, before I decided to pick one up. I can relate to what they are saying about how you right foot can be prone to tap the brake pedal but the problem is not b/c the pedals are close, but rather b/c there is NO space to the right of the gas pedal. I guess you can also say it would be better if both the brake and gas pedals were relocated an inch or so to the left to create some space. Bottom line, its great for manual drivers :D now if only the gas pedal was raised a tad need to get a move on in fixing that.

Agree! My previous MZ5 was auto and I can relate also. The pedals are positioned to far to the right that the center console is too close to the gas pedal so automatically your foot gets pushed to the left and at times hitting the brake and gas pedal at the same time. Repositioning the pedal assembly a bit to the left would fix this issue. I don't know if this is fixed on the 2012+ MY.

yeah, what they said. probably is the console is too close making it seem like the pedals are close.

and yes, mine is an auto.

Had the number3 Motor Mount replaced a week ago.

Here is the old cracked mount:

Thought this would help with an annoying intermittent light vibration at idle I've been experiencing since I bought the car... still happens so I might try the TSB 01-023-07-1774 "IDLE FLUCTUATION/ENGINE VIBRATION".

Last edited:
Had the number3 Motor Mount replaced a week ago.

Here is the old cracked mount:

Thought this would help with an annoying intermittent light vibration at idle I've been experiencing since I bought the car... still happens so I might try the TSB 01-023-07-1774 "IDLE FLUCTUATION/ENGINE VIBRATION".

Did they do this for free? I had mine replaced about 9 months ago, it was free... (I'm out of warranty), they told me the mounts are a lifetime warranty item and will always be replaced free of charge. This is in Canada, but I'd have to assume it would be the same NA wide?

I believe they are both auto. I've rented an auto Mz5 twice, one week long each, before I decided to pick one up. I can relate to what they are saying about how you right foot can be prone to tap the brake pedal but the problem is not b/c the pedals are close, but rather b/c there is NO space to the right of the gas pedal. I guess you can also say it would be better if both the brake and gas pedals were relocated an inch or so to the left to create some space. Bottom line, it’s great for manual drivers :D now if only the gas pedal was raised a tad – need to get a move on in fixing that.
Agree! My previous MZ5 was auto and I can relate also. The pedals are positioned to far to the right that the center console is too close to the gas pedal so automatically your foot gets pushed to the left and at times hitting the brake and gas pedal at the same time. Repositioning the pedal assembly a bit to the left would fix this issue. I don't know if this is fixed on the 2012+ MY.
yeah, what they said. probably is the console is too close making it seem like the pedals are close.
and yes, mine is an auto.

Ohhh. Mine's manual- pedal spacing must be different. :)

Did they do this for free? I had mine replaced about 9 months ago, it was free... (I'm out of warranty), they told me the mounts are a lifetime warranty item and will always be replaced free of charge. This is in Canada, but I'd have to assume it would be the same NA wide?

I doubt that all NA policies are the same. Is your Canadian 5 rated for towing?

Back