What have you done to your Mazda5 today?

LOL! This is why I jumped on it when the seller was out of the US, ships out of Texas too! That Chinese seller was brought up before by the first guy who had this spoiler (also bought from eBay way back so this item comes and goes). Not sure when (if ever) I will get to mount it. I am sitting on a lot of stuff but just don't have the time/desire to do mods anymore.

I'm jealous of you guys in the US since a lot of online sellers especially eBay offer super cheap or free shipping. We typically get dinged with expensive shipped, Brokerage fees, duty or a bad combo of these three.

At least companies like DTD and Tirerack offer prepaid duty and brokerage now.

My back-ordered rims and tires finally arrived. Installed them after we put the kids to bed.
15d5sih.jpg

Turbohatch. Nice rims

I changed the engine air filter tonight. The outgoing filter media was pink versus the new OEM Mazda I bought which was white. Do OEM filters come in pink or was this aftermarket?
abl8nb.jpg
BTW, the top dirty side is white.

I assumed it was OEM from the factory since the car has 52,000 kms on it and the engine filter change interval is around there. Also, it was so dirty that I couldn't see thought it when held up to the light.

I also built a supplemental ramp from stacked 1x6 lumber for my Rhino ramps since the Mazda is too low to fit. This should make my first oil change a breeze. I find the jacking points on this Mazda more troublesome than all the Honda's I've ever owned since you can't use the rocker seam as a primary lift point. The front and rear subframes are way in there even on a low profile jack.

Last edited:
Finally made the time to do the first (since we've owned her) oil change for the Mazda5, which also meant I got to finally install the spin-on oil filter adapter and start her on synthetic 5W20!!

Thanks Silentnoise713 for the write up: (http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/show...rt-from-cartridge-to-canister-filter-–-Mazda5)

I also got to use the 1x6 lumber supplemental ramps I made earlier this week. Lots of clearance and no need to jack up the car (just wheels chocks)! Plus this will fit my project car as well.
2qasjkw.jpg

Here's the stock filter cartridge housing removed...good riddance.
33c1xtz.jpg

This is the oil cooler showing the 15mm bolt and gasket in good condition.
5vayki.jpg

And the spin-on filter adapter installed with an OEM filter.
i40mza.jpg

The only thing left was to cut a larger hole in the plastic bell pan so it wouldn't need to be removed for oil changes. Easy work with aviation snips and a Dremel to clean and smooth the edges.

I'm debating on buying a Fumoto valve to make oil changes even faster and save from using crush washers.

Got the windows tinted yesterday, 35% front 15% rear. So far so good, the black on black looks great. Now I wonder why I didn't have it done sooner.

Finally made the time to do the first (since we've owned her) oil change for the Mazda5, which also meant I got to finally install the spin-on oil filter adapter and start her on synthetic 5W20!!

Thanks Silentnoise713 for the write up: (http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/show...rt-from-cartridge-to-canister-filter-–-Mazda5)

I also got to use the 1x6 lumber supplemental ramps I made earlier this week. Lots of clearance and no need to jack up the car (just wheels chocks)! Plus this will fit my project car as well.
2qasjkw.jpg

Here's the stock filter cartridge housing removed...good riddance.
33c1xtz.jpg

This is the oil cooler showing the 15mm bolt and gasket in good condition.
5vayki.jpg

And the spin-on filter adapter installed with an OEM filter.
i40mza.jpg

The only thing left was to cut a larger hole in the plastic bell pan so it wouldn't need to be removed for oil changes. Easy work with aviation snips and a Dremel to clean and smooth the edges.

I'm debating on buying a Fumoto valve to make oil changes even faster and save from using crush washers.
Hey, I'm surprised someone actually reference my how-to :p I seriously didn’t think anyone though it was useful or bothers to do this. Btw, you should cut out the notches on the bracket to fit the monster 1L filter. I want to try it just to confirm if it works and, if cheap enough, try the 2L filter too (the larger filters are cheaper) :D

Get the fumoto valve! Your hands will not get dirty and oil changes will NOT require any tools! Just a dump pan/bottle and a short hose. It feels really strange the first time b/c I’m so use to the oil change routine and to have all that cut out, I feel like I forgot to do something…

Btw, what springs are you using? I am debating lowering and it would suck if I can’t reuse my rhino ramps. I have a table saw for a DIY ramp but rather not have more clutter taking up space…

Hey, I'm surprised someone actually reference my how-to :p I seriously didn’t think anyone though it was useful or bothers to do this. Btw, you should cut out the notches on the bracket to fit the monster 1L filter. I want to try it just to confirm if it works and, if cheap enough, try the 2L filter too (the larger filters are cheaper) :D

Get the fumoto valve! Your hands will not get dirty and oil changes will NOT require any tools! Just a dump pan/bottle and a short hose. It feels really strange the first time b/c I’m so use to the oil change routine and to have all that cut out, I feel like I forgot to do something…

Btw, what springs are you using? I am debating lowering and it would suck if I can’t reuse my rhino ramps. I have a table saw for a DIY ramp but rather not have more clutter taking up space…

Too late, I already purchased a box of OEM filters when I ordered the spin on filter adapter...plus that sucker is already installed.

I'll likely do the Fumoto valve, the faster th oil change the better....the question is do I get the nipple version or not?

....and I'm using H&R springs.

15908737_large.jpg

Installed Mazdaspeed3 pedals. Swapped clutch and brake cover. Swapped accelerator pedal assembly.

15908737_large.jpg

Installed Mazdaspeed3 pedals. Swapped clutch and brake cover. Swapped accelerator pedal assembly.
Does the gas pedal assembly make it easier to heel toe? I believe it is one unit and has a higher arc at rest and when brakes are fully depressed. How do you like it? I have Mazdaspeed covers (4) and plan to add some spaces to raise the height of the gas pedal (without having to modify anything). If this works better for you then I hope I can simulate a similar effect. Btw, the cluth pedal cover looks like it would be better suited for brake duty bc it has the curvature for you to toe brake, no? Looks good!

15908737_large.jpg

(another reply with the same pic)

so, you left in the thick winter floor mats?

Also, don't you hate how close the gas and brake pedal are to each other?

Also, don't you hate how close the gas and brake pedal are to each other?
I like pedal proximity. What I don't like is how close the center console is so close to the gas pedal... There's little to no space to the right of the gas pedal makin it hard to drive with boots on (not that I wear boots often).

Back