What have you done to your Mazda5 today?

Finally switched back to stock suspension and put back stock wheels, however the TPMS light stays on now. Does anyone know what could've caused this? Is there a way to fix this or reset the light?

Cleaned up the roof rack I bought on ebay, shot it with Rustoleum bed liner and installed it. Came out looking pretty good I think.
DSC06795.jpg

I was going to shoot the bars with black enamel, but found them covered in vinyl, so I shot them with the bedliner spray too.

DSC06796.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah, a fixed camera field of view and no peripheral vision makes it harder to make sense of it in video. It's easier to "see" the course in real life.

It usually is, I'm just almost never on an auto-x course anymore... the few times I've gone cone dancing I've been able to see it.

-----

And this weekend slightly inebriated wife threw my truck door into the side of the 5 after we got back from date night... the 5 was parked a little too close to the center of the driveway. My truck doors are HEAVY. Huge dent. Sad. :(

I put it up for sale....the wife needs an automatic.
:(

Was in the same position myself about a year ago. My solution, sell Sport and get a GT = Problem solved! But I still have a separate MT to row with so YMMY. The GT packaging really does make it a much better car but I would suggest start at '09.

bumped the rear into my own parked car and knocked one of teh parking sensors inwards.. cuz... i relied on the parking sensor, which apparently was .. turned off by my helpful toddler. (nuts)

Last June I installed a James Barone Racing RSB and this past November I added new Moog greaseable end links. On Sunday I did some rear sway bar maintenance. I re-tightened the 15mm nuts for the end links after adding some blue Loc-Tite to the studs (torqued to 50 lb/ft). I gave the end links a shot of lithium grease as that's what they came packed with from the manufacturer. Finally, I re-greased the polyurethane RSB bushings with synthetic grease and wiped away any excess.

I put it up for sale....the wife needs an automatic.

Noooooooooooo

I bought the 5 in manual FOR the wife because she refuses to drive automatic. :) No auto cars in this family- the kids are going to get 3 pedal lessons early in life if there are still cars available.

:(

Was in the same position myself about a year ago. My solution, sell Sport and get a GT = Problem solved! But I still have a separate MT to row with so YMMY. The GT packaging really does make it a much better car but I would suggest start at '09.
Nah, she wants something else. Ranging from an Eos to a Challanger, she can't decide.

Noooooooooooo

I bought the 5 in manual FOR the wife because she refuses to drive automatic. :) No auto cars in this family- the kids are going to get 3 pedal lessons early in life if there are still cars available.
If only it could stay that way.

I installed my Megan Racing springs, OE Speed3 struts/shocks, tri-point engineering rear sway bar and test fitted my RX8 wheels that have 245/40 on them.
7cLpD3QnmJl_v_zwBtWQ0k21c6CNcsHc7u_FlS0uH54=w103-h181-p-no
Bc-NppXsggaluvxSMv2D_dwF5rzEjdBsU9AY6cgaMh8=w390-h220-p-no
aB_ybxnRdNL17ACxjM7leOrGqHhug47sS4g1W-05vdI=w321-h181-p-no

Last edited:
can you measure the ride height on the megans?

this is the industry procedure for measuring ride height:
1- park the vehicle on level ground
2- measure from the fender lip to the rim edge (x)
3- measure the diameter of the rim from edge to edge (y)
4- add the measurement from step 2 to 1/2 the measurement from step 3 (x + y/2)
5- repeat at all four corners

Curious, what industry is this that you speak of? That may be an easy way to measure ride height for the shadetree mechanic like us or the local tire shop, and it may be "accurate enough" for our uses, but it is not accurate for the automotive industry if that is what you're referring to. There are too many variables in the forming and installation of a body panel to use it as a datum for vehicle height data. And if you are trying to compare this data to someone else's, you also have to consider the possibility of aftermarket panels, damage, repairs, and slight changes to the OEM panel shape over time. The method (that OEMs I'm familiar with) use to gather ride height data is measuring the height of the wheel center, then a datum on the chassis (often a suspension mount, such as LCA).

I have to point out that technically you haven't actually measured ride height either, you've only measured the distance from the fender lip to the wheel center. Doing this before/after is easy, (and useful to track ride height changes), but it only tells you the change in ride height, not the ride height.

Source: Career in automotive OEM design and QC; weight, height & alignment is one of my direct responsibilities.

fender lip to the wheel center is actually what Mazda uses as ride height measurement. this measurement takes wheel diameter and tire size out of the picture.

njaremka, I am going to let the springs settle in a couple of weeks and then I will take the measurements you're looking for. I know you've been looking for lowering springs for a while. By the way the black/chrome wheels I have are 16" with my 205/55 winter tires, just to clarify. I will give a report in the Megan Racing lowering spring thread after I've driven it some more, but my first impressions are very positive.

fender lip to the wheel center is actually what Mazda uses as ride height measurement. this measurement takes wheel diameter and tire size out of the picture.

Really? I find that very interesting, as tire size is an integral part of ride height. I still contend that fender-to-wheel-center is not technically ride height Maybe my definition of "ride height" is too strict, though that is what I have experienced

sac02, I'm not taking sides here, but I can confirm that wheel center to wheel opening(body) lip is what Mazda is currently using for ride height measurement. In the past they used wheel center to a suspension component, depending on what type of suspension.

Last edited:
that really is the only way to eliminate wheel variables for ride height, and make a direct comparison between vehicles.

Back