What have you done to your CX-9 today?

I needed more space for a road trip, so I removed the third row (just three bolts) and jigsawed a 4x4 sheet of 1/2in plywood, then covered it in automotive fabric. Voila! It makes a noticeable difference in cargo capacity.
Too bad I only thought to do this now, as I am trading in the car this week for a new CX-90! Looks like the seats in that are the same, so I will likely do this again before the cottage run next summer...

Nice, I might have to consider something like this as well for any future road trips. Maybe cut it in half and add hinges to make it easier to remove/install/store.

I needed more space for a road trip, so I removed the third row (just three bolts) and jigsawed a 4x4 sheet of 1/2in plywood, then covered it in automotive fabric. Voila! It makes a noticeable difference in cargo capacity.
Too bad I only thought to do this now, as I am trading in the car this week for a new CX-90! Looks like the seats in that are the same, so I will likely do this again before the cottage run next summer...
Forgive me my am brain is still asleep. Doesn't folding the rear seats down and having a liner (i.e. weathertech or tuxmat) do the same thing? Although, the pictures look as if your fabric plywood seems to sit a lot lower than not removing the seat?

Changed the cabin air filter. 3-pack of the new filters was about $37 on amazon.

20230816_212458.jpg

Forgive me my am brain is still asleep. Doesn't folding the rear seats down and having a liner (i.e. weathertech or tuxmat) do the same thing? Although, the pictures look as if your fabric plywood seems to sit a lot lower than not removing the seat?

It's easier to see the difference when you can directly compare it to a picture that shows the 3rd row folded flat.

dims

compared to:

pxl_20230802_181333442-jpg.321569

So you gain what appears to be 4-6" of extra vertical space, plus a bit more front to back depth at the floor because you can go right to the base of the 2nd row now. I also noticed that this panel appears to be more horizontally level than the folded 3rd row, which angles up towards the front. So the 4-6" increase is probably more like 8" where the cupholders are.

You changing these according to the service interval or do you do semi random spot checks?

Just spot checks and occasional filter smacks. I can usually go a year or two without needing to swap the filter out.

Hi, yes, having the plywood sit lower was the point of doing it. By removing the seats and the covers for the spare tire, then putting a flat sheet of plywood in the trunk, you get a noticeable drop in cargo floor height. I was able to stack things more easily that way and carry more stuff without affecting my rearward visibility while driving. It also took a bit of weight out of the rear, upping my gross vehicle weight capacity (i.e., I could carry more cargo weight). Hope that helps.

It's easier to see the difference when you can directly compare it to a picture that shows the 3rd row folded flat.

dims

compared to:

pxl_20230802_181333442-jpg.321569

So you gain what appears to be 4-6" of extra vertical space, plus a bit more front to back depth at the floor because you can go right to the base of the 2nd row now. I also noticed that this panel appears to be more horizontally level than the folded 3rd row, which angles up towards the front. So the 4-6" increase is probably more like 8" where the cupholders are.
Yup!

Note that I slid a padded piece of 2x4 on under the plywood at the front, plus a small blanket on top of the subwoofer at the back, to ensure no flex or rattle in the plywood.

Gave it an oil change over the weekend. Kirkland 5W-30 synthetic with an OEM Mazda oil filter and new crush washer. Went even faster than usual because I got to use my impact driver this time.

Gave it an oil change over the weekend. Kirkland 5W-30 synthetic with an OEM Mazda oil filter and new crush washer. Went even faster than usual because I got to use my impact driver this time.
What impact do you have? Pneumatic or battery? I've been looking at maybe picking up the M12 Stubby for general work, but can't justify spending $200+ CAD for using it twice a year for winter/summer tire changes lol.

What impact do you have? Pneumatic or battery? I've been looking at maybe picking up the M12 Stubby for general work, but can't justify spending $200+ CAD for using it twice a year for winter/summer tire changes lol.

Battery. I used my M18 Fuel impact driver, the one with the 1/4" collet. I don't have a cordless impact wrench (yet), but I think that would be the wrong tool for the job. I've heard a lot of good things about the M12 stubby!

There's absolutely no reason for me to have M18 Fuel tools as a homeowner/DIYer lol. But after 15+ years of housework and working on cars with hand tools, I felt I deserved some basic power tools I can rely on. I will be looking into a mid-torque impact wrench whenever they go on sale in the coming months.

Not really today but last week, It wah in a garage to change most of the exhaust, except mufflers, because of the rust.
The V6 had a nice sound with the rusty exhaust, but a little bit too noisy for a family car :p

Rented a cabin for the weekend. This was the first time taking the car on the highway and on gravel/dirt roads since installing the CorkSport springs.

20230826_142739.jpg

20230826_142628.jpg

20230826_142929.jpg

20230826_190403.jpg

The car still drives really well with the lowering springs and a full(ish) trunk. Much better than I was expecting. Still soaked up bumps like a champ, almost like it was still on the OEM suspension. CorkSport did a great job with these springs!

EDIT: I'll also note that there was zero rubbing on the suspension, fender liners and fender guards on the sometimes uneven highway. Taking off-ramps and on-ramps was easy with the CS springs, and merging into traffic and occasionally overtaking another driver was even easier than usual thanks to the Sprint Booster. I feel like all I really want now is better tires (and uncurbed rims) :)

Back