2022 CX-9 noise when steering

Hi, we just bought a 2022 Carbon Editon Mazda CX-9 and I've noticed that there is a (soft) sound when rotating the steering wheel. The best way to describe the sound would be like a piece of paper or something is stuck on the wheel (it isn't, I checked 😉). I am guessing the sound might be normal, I am not familiar with Mazdas. It isn't a grinding or anything like that, I'm just not used to hearing it. Does your CX-9 make any sounds when rotating the wheel? The car has so many bells and whistles that it might be related to... something... lane assist? It does it at low speeds too though. Hmmmmm

If you are talking about a sound coming from the steering wheel (inside the car), my 2018 CX-9 does not do that. I recommend you check with the dealer.

Altough make sure to check that it isn’t something else in the car that shift/move when you turn slightly. Cup holders, etc. The other day, i had one of the children car seat tether strap hanging loose and dangling. It would make a similar sound to what you describe when driving and the car movement would make it swing and rub against something (sound of paper scrapping on something).

We just picked up a 2021 CX-9 and while driving it home, my wife reported hearing a noise coming from behind her (she was driving). She said it was or sounded like a window was open from the passenger seat behind the driver. The window was not open. She drove again today but did not hear it.

2022 gsl here
Mine makes noise when I rotate the wheel to left with switch stalk down. The dealer has no idea. Mazda ca lets them to compare with other suv:LOL:. But the dealer agrees to replace the switch stalk on monday;)

View attachment 317909
So when I turn to the right it pops in and when I start turning to left it pops out.
Take a look under the steeting column if it does this back the nut off add one drop of locktight and tighten it back down. I dont know the torque spec but i went finger tight then a couple bumps on the end of my wrench @Smmay be able to weigh in on torque speck.

Latest posts

Back