What have you done to your CX-5 today?

It's plasti-dip. For prep I suggest washing it real good with soap and water, than dry. What I like to do after that is wipe it down with a alcohol prep and let that dry.
Plastidip, sorry. How does this differ from Plastikote, which seems to be a similar product?

Today I Plasti Dipped my roof rails. I didn't want them & won't likely use them, but since they came installed off the boat (and don't feel like spending to replace the trim that was cut to install them) the next best thing was to remove the garish silver.

NXBhzq4.png

Converted the following to LED bulbs: dome lights, map lights, vanity mirror lights, trunk light, license plate lights, reverse lights. Really loving the cool white instead of the dim yellow stock bulbs, and the reverse lights are now really bright without being obnoxious. Best $30 I've spent on the CX-5 so far.

Did my fiancee's Mazda 6 at the same time, though hers came stock with LED map and dome lights. Made me wonder why they're standard on the 6 but not the CX-5 (both are 2016 Grand Touring models) and the 6 also has courtesy lights in the front doors and *gasp* a glovebox light. You'd think there would be some standardization across models and trims. The sedan also has a remote trunk release that can be activated from the dash as well as the key fob, a feature that the CX-5 sorely lacks.

Both cars look so nice with the LEDs installed, I'd highly recommend it for the minimal expense and effort.

Do they dim? That is to say, with the filament bulb there's a gradual or rolling illumination for some of these. Do the LEDs support this?

As the others said, they do dim but there's a very slight flickering effect. You have to be looking right at the lights to really notice it with the bulbs that I have.

Today I Plasti Dipped my roof rails. I didn't want them & won't likely use them, but since they came installed off the boat (and don't feel like spending to replace the trim that was cut to install them) the next best thing was to remove the garish silver.

That looks great! Did you remove them to plasti dip or did you do it in place?

Today I took delivery of the Mountek nGroove Snap 3 (US$27.50), discarded most of the parts except the smaller piece with ball attachment, and lovingly jammed it into the dash.

I haven't driven with it like this yet, but seems solid enough, and the impact on the dash minimal (certainly less so than the suction cup mounts)

xunZ4Hl.png

k4xMzIF.png

5nzH1r0.png

y8Y4Q3w.png

egL5kkQ.png

Converted the following to LED bulbs: dome lights, map lights, vanity mirror lights, trunk light, license plate lights, reverse lights. Really loving the cool white instead of the dim yellow stock bulbs, and the reverse lights are now really bright without being obnoxious. Best $30 I've spent on the CX-5 so far.

Did my fiancee's Mazda 6 at the same time, though hers came stock with LED map and dome lights. Made me wonder why they're standard on the 6 but not the CX-5 (both are 2016 Grand Touring models) and the 6 also has courtesy lights in the front doors and *gasp* a glovebox light. You'd think there would be some standardization across models and trims. The sedan also has a remote trunk release that can be activated from the dash as well as the key fob, a feature that the CX-5 sorely lacks.

Both cars look so nice with the LEDs installed, I'd highly recommend it for the minimal expense and effort.
+1 on LED interior lights and reverse lights, and on all of those extras found on Mazda6 but not on CX-5! In addition to courtesy lights, glove compartment light, and remote liftgate release, I should add memory seat, rear AC vents, two extra tweeters on Bose, foot rest protection cover, and a cover for small cubby storage area under those TPMS switches!

What kind of LEDs are you using for interior and reverse lights?

+1 on LED interior lights and reverse lights, and on all of those extras found on Mazda6 but not on CX-5! In addition to courtesy lights, glove compartment light, and remote liftgate release, I should add memory seat, rear AC vents, two extra tweeters on Bose, foot rest protection cover, and a cover for small cubby storage area under those TPMS switches!

What kind of LEDs are you using for interior and reverse lights?

Yeah, they make some odd decisions. They're all "can live with" differences for me but it does make you wonder what the thought process is!

Interior / trunk / license plate bulbs: https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

Vanity mirror bulbs: https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

Reverse light bulbs: Link They currently have a 20% off coupon for online orders which makes them a very good deal.

Installed an interior LED light kit. Bulbs are super easy to replace.
Made a huge difference inside cabin. Rear trunk area, not so much. Lighting is just horrible back there. Really needs a roof mounted light.

Interior area is awesome now

Amazon kit

$20

Looking forward to this cruise with the Mazda club on Sunday. It'll be the first for me. It's a lengthy one too.

I'll have my camera ready once I find it lol

Last edited:
Dropped it off at the dealer to have a hazy right tail light replaced...2 hours later get a call that there is bad news.

Bracing for something terrible....he tells me when they opened the box they discovered the new light was cracked.

A bummer since it means another trip to the dealer when they get a replacement for the replacement, but not all that bad of news.

We soldier on with a bit of haze in the turn signal area of what I am told is a $400 tail light (LED on our GT w/Tech) (eek)

Last edited:
Back