What have you done to your CX-5 today?

canbus or non canbus for interior lightbulbs for '19 CX-5 GTR?

I don't believe they are CANBUS. I had never heard of this until you asked. Interesting technology, but do we really need to continue to complicate our vehicles? Heck, keeping gas out of crankcases is a new challenge that we never had before.

Last edited:
I don't believe they are CANBUS. I had never heard of this until you asked. Interesting technology, but do we really need to continue to complicate our vehicles? Heck, keeping oil out of crankcases is a new challenge that we never had before.

I only ask this because some vehicles require canbus bulbs and some do not. I dont want to put the wrong ones in.

I only ask this because some vehicles require canbus bulbs and some do not. I dont want to put the wrong ones in.

Understood.

The word "CANBUS" does not appear in a word search of the online manual, for what it's worth.

You got the ones from Amazon, right? I looked at that link you put up. I don't recall them stating "CANBUS," nor did I see such a reference on the other LED sites folks pointed me to.

From the quick reading I did on the subject, it seems that the main risk is you will have a perpetual "Bad Bulb" indicator because the non-CANBUS bulbs cannot communicate with the system to say "I'm here!" And I don't think it applies to the CX-5. But I'm no expert.

Understood.

The word "CANBUS" does not appear in a word search of the online manual, for what it's worth.

You got the ones from Amazon, right? I looked at that link you put up. I don't recall them stating "CANBUS," nor did I see such a reference on the other LED sites folks pointed me to.

From the quick reading I did on the subject, it seems that the main risk is you will have a perpetual "Bad Bulb" indicator because the non-CANBUS bulbs cannot communicate with the system to say "I'm here!" And I don't think it applies to the CX-5. But I'm no expert.

Yeah, I got the ones from amazon "LedpartsNow" I haven't installed them yet, I'm a bit hesitant to put them on because I don't want to short circuit anything.

Good advice. But I recall someone suggesting that they're overinflated for transport to keep them from developing flat spots, and then the dealers just don't check.

That is absolutely correct and unfortunately there are many dealerships (not the majority) that fail to check tire pressures.

Yeah, I got the ones from amazon "LedpartsNow" I haven't installed them yet, I'm a bit hesitant to put them on because I don't want to short circuit anything.

I hear ya.

I don't know if you have this. 2019 CX-5 Online Manual

Makes it easier to search for stuff than going through the paper manual. I saved a copy to my hard drive.

Last edited:
I took one map bulb out of its fixture and drove arond for 5 mins with my interior lights on. I didn't get an error message or anything indicating that a bulb was out. So I'm assuming non canbus, thanks for the info deer.

I hear ya.

I don't know if you have this. 2019 CX-5 Online Manual

Makes it easier to search for stuff than going through the paper manual. I saved a copy to my hard drive.

Have you compared searching the online manual to searching a pdf of the paper manual? If you've used both, have you found one or the other to be more complete?

I took one map bulb out of its fixture and drove arond for 5 mins with my interior lights on. I didn't get an error message or anything indicating that a bulb was out. So I'm assuming non canbus, thanks for the info deer.

Do you read prior posts on this thread prior to your posting? Just curious.

which ones did you order?
I ordered these from amazon https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)
Good advice. But I recall someone suggesting that they're overinflated for transport to keep them from developing flat spots, and then the dealers just don't check.

Makes sense to me, but either way it's pretty lame of those dealers who don't make sure they're right.
Yeah i get the idea but they should be adjusting them or at least give a notice to buyers. I also check the lug nut torques.
So you're saying don't get too attached to those mileage figures?
They are not that good anyways
canbus or non canbus for interior lightbulbs for '19 CX-5 GTR?
Non canbus. Regular led bulbs

Last edited:
Have you compared searching the online manual to searching a pdf of the paper manual? If you've used both, have you found one or the other to be more complete?

I have used the online manual to locate and read maybe 6 subjects which I later referenced in the hard copy manual when at my car, and found those sections to be identical.

Just thought I'd suggest something else.. for the vanity mirrors specifically, I chose not to replace them. I made this decision after realizing that my wife has used the vanity mirror to touch up her make up, and an incandescent "natural" light is better in that case. The softer incandescent lighting is also easier on my own eyes if I ever have to use the vanity mirror. If you do still want to upgrade the lights to LED, you can get bulbs that give off a "soft white" colour (4000k to 4300k colour temperature).
Yep, this's legit. But there's proper LED available for vanity mirror with natural light color temperature. I use the following LEDs for vanity mirrors found on the eBay. You really dont want white LEDs on vanity as your wife wont be happy when shes looking at the mirror.

There're low-priced LEDs having 2800K color temperature which looks like the same as standard incandescent bulb but can be brighter. I found this https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned) for vanity mirror on the sun visors for "warm glow" effect which looks the same as OEM light but brighter:
s-l400.jpg

The interior light bulbs are the same between gen-1 and gen-2 CX-5s. Sorry theres no part number. And I bought the LED set for the interior and license plate back in 2015 from eBay and all of them still work fine.

All CX-5 interior LED kit will fit 2016 MY. I use this https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned) from eBay because they use newer and brighter 5730 rectangular LED chips:
s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

I did install license plate LEDs from the kit. They look nice with white color and aren't brighter than original 5W bulbs. I also used two "spare" bulbs for reverse lights. They look much better with white color but the light outputs are not stronger than original 18W 921 bulbs.

I used this https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned) for vanity mirror on the sun visors for "warm glow" effect:
s-l400.jpg

Personally I'd like to find 29mm festoon LEDs to match the original bulb length but those are hard to find for cheap prices and it's more difficult to put in 4 or 6 LED cells for brighter light. With 31mm LEDs you have to bend some end and side clips a bit but it's doable and won't hurt anything. Also be aware the "prying tool" included in some Amazon or eBay kits is useless! It's too thick and sometimes you're better off by having two pries to pop open the light cover. I use this prying tool set from China with decent results:
615ofhC6PvL._SL1000_.jpg

Back