What have you done to your CX-5 today?

Did the usual:

• Vacuumed drivers and passenger carpets and mats
  • Dusted dashboard, centre console, seats, doors (around grab area/windows switch/where arm rests on door during driving)

Found a 3" nail, in my rear tire. These tires, had to bevreplaced pretty soon anyway, so I have got two more Nitto Motivos.
Dealer does not cover chirping repairs, only engine/transmission internal parts.
I had to take apart my "subwoofer" enclosure, my spare wheel. ;)

Can you remind me what the catch can does? Is it hard to install?

I was reading about them because they are supposed to help alleviate the intake valve carbon deposit issue that direct inject engines experience.

Here is a 4 minute vid I've watched explaining exactly what they are and what they do. It's a very informative short lecture with diagrams. https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cu...es-it-work-and-why-doesnt-every-car-have-one/

I read an article saying that they provide no benefit, but I cannot locate it right now.

Some people get up to a cup of oil in them between oil changes, while others say they only get a teaspoon or so.

My primary concern in a new car would be voiding my warranty.

edit to add: Here is a link to that article where the author does NOT recommend them: http://stratifiedauto.com/blog/understanding-your-pcv-system-upgrades-and-catch-cans/

Last edited:
I was reading about them because they are supposed to help alleviate the intake valve carbon deposit issue that direct inject engines experience.

Here is a 4 minute vid I've watched explaining exactly what they are and what they do. It's a very informative short lecture with diagrams. https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cu...es-it-work-and-why-doesnt-every-car-have-one/

I read an article saying that they provide no benefit, but I cannot locate it right now.

Some people get up to a cup of oil in them between oil changes, while others say they only get a teaspoon or so.

edit to add: Here is a link to that article where the author does NOT recommend them: http://stratifiedauto.com/blog/understanding-your-pcv-system-upgrades-and-catch-cans/
Thank you very much for the informative post!

Thank you very much for the informative post!

You're welcome, buddy.

In my search for those videos I had seen before, I found another one that is also very good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrLNDgrIw3U

The guy stands in front of a 6' tall screen with videos showing how direct inject, port inject and dual injection work.

He says if you have direct injection, you should:
-Install an oil catch can
-Run injector cleaner more often because of the nature of D.I. injectors and the environment they operate in
-Use an oil under 7% volatility, even if it means going with a higher viscosity (lots of folks use 0W-30 or thinner)

Actually, he says to avoid D.I. altogether, with the caveat that the alternatives are more complex and more expensive.

This stuff is frustrating. There is no good answer when buying a new car. It's all Nixon's fault!

Parked next to a twin at Target lol
014d558632aa2718a0a1eb6fa21b861b.jpg

43211255875_36fce53913_b.jpg

My latest work - now I have a 2014 CX-5 with CarPlay! After messing around with an Android head unit from AliExpress that I liked but had too many drawbacks, I decided to buy this Sony XAV-AX100 along with the required adapters to make as much of the factory kit work as possible.
I'm very happy with how it looks and works (despite the lack of commander switch) and the sound quality is excellent. I did modify the Metra fascia adapter as I didn't like the fact that it sinks the stereo deeper into the dash and also not tilted as the original unit is.

29180397257_810175f07e_b.jpg

The standard interface when outside of CarPlay

43211255735_5ee1cf5e8d_b.jpg

The reversing camera works correctly when reverse gear has been selected - this took a bit of detective work as the Sony and Mazda adapter have the handbrake and reverse gear trigger wires reversed!

Can you say more about getting the backup camera to work? I did the same install and cannot figure out how to get mine working...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnuson–Moss_Warranty_Act

"Under a full warranty, in the case of a defect, malfunction, or failure to conform with the written warranty, the warrantor:

can remedy the consumer product within a reasonable time and without charge;
may not impose any limitation on the duration of any implied warranty on the product;
may not exclude or limit consequential damages for a breach of any written or implied warranty on the product, unless the exclusion or limitation conspicuously appears on the face of the warranty; and
if the product, or a component part, contains a defect or malfunction, must permit the consumer to elect either a refund or replacement without charge, after a reasonable number of repair attempts.

In addition, the warrantor may not impose any duty, other than notification, upon any consumer, as a condition of securing the repair of any consumer product that malfunctions, is defective, or does not conform to the written warranty. However, the warrantor may require consumers to return a defective item to its place of purchase for repair."

They can void your warranty if they determine that the warrantable failure was a direct result of an aftermarket part or the installation of said part, but they would need to be able to provide evidence of that. Under "Limitations" from the wiki link..

"The federal minimum standards for full warranties are waived if the warrantor can show that the problem associated with a warranted consumer product was caused by damage while in the possession of the consumer, or by unreasonable use, including a failure to provide reasonable and necessary maintenance."

It is explained here as well: https://www.autoanything.com/popups/MossWarranty.aspx

For the record, if you do install an oil catch can, it's quite easy to remove it before a trip to the dealer (on the 9 at least). See the oil catch can DIY in my sig, if I wanted to remove mine I'd just disconnect a couple of hoses, flip the PCV tube around and reconnect it to the IM, then pull the catch can.

Thanks a lot for posting that. I had wondered about ease of removal of a catch can before taking it into be serviced. I'm certain that no matter what I end up buying, a quality oil catch can in a modern engine is a necessity.

What do you know about doing your own oil changes and how it may affect warranties...specifically with Mazda? I've heard folks say to keep receipts of the oil & filters, but when you buy bulk (or even one change's worth at a time), that's not evidence of installation. Any thoughts on that?

Thanks a lot for posting that. I had wondered about ease of removal of a catch can before taking it into be serviced. I'm certain that no matter what I end up buying, a quality oil catch can in a modern engine is a necessity.

What do you know about doing your own oil changes and how it may affect warranties...specifically with Mazda? I've heard folks say to keep receipts of the oil & filters, but when you buy bulk (or even one change's worth at a time), that's not evidence of installation. Any thoughts on that?

I believe you can log service for your Mazda on their website.

I'm outside of all my warranties so I have not cared to much past logging things in a notepad on my phone.

I believe you can log service for your Mazda on their website.

I'm outside of all my warranties so I have not cared to much past logging things in a notepad on my phone.

Really????

That's interesting.

I'll have to ask the dealer.

I believe it's this site: MyMazda

Thanks for that.

You don't know where I can view the warranty, do you?

I've looked before, and every link brings up the CPO Program.

The MyMazda site has 3 links under Warranty:

Mazda New Car Warranty directs to Extended Service Plan for a CPO Vehicle
Mazda Extended Confidence Link directs to the same Extended Service Plan for a CPO Vehicle page
Mazda CPO Warranty directs to a page discussing the CPO program itself and where you search for CPO vehicles

The underlying urls behind all 3 selections are different, but the first 2 direct to the same page.

I've looked for a way to contact the webmaster but the Contact Us page is for owners and requires a VIN.

Thanks for that.

You don't know where I can view the warranty, do you?

I've looked before, and every link brings up the CPO Program.

The MyMazda site has 3 links under Warranty:

Mazda New Car Warranty directs to Extended Service Plan for a CPO Vehicle
Mazda Extended Confidence Link directs to the same Extended Service Plan for a CPO Vehicle page
Mazda CPO Warranty directs to a page discussing the CPO program itself and where you search for CPO vehicles

The underlying urls behind all 3 selections are different, but the first 2 direct to the same page.

I've looked for a way to contact the webmaster but the Contact Us page is for owners and requires a VIN.

All I found was this which doesn't go into much detail.

Warranty is bumper to bumper 3 year/36,000 mile. Powertrain is 5 year/60,000 mile.

https://www.mazdausa.com/owners/warranty

Yeh, I'm trying to get a feel for things like installing oil catch cans, doing my own changes, stuff like that.

Maybe I'll send my customer service contact an email.

The consensus again here is to just keep records of self performed oil changes.

Today I decided to replace the rear pads. Dealer told me two weeks ago the pads were less than 3mm. Guess what, after buying new pads, pulling everything apart, and pulling the old pads...all four of them were thicker than 4mm, thickest one was 6mm. F$&king liars...the car had months before needing new pads. Of course since I was in there I went ahead and replaced them.
4efc75b2006e683c63621a702d96eead.jpg

d86773fd671ba9e16f559561a138874d.jpg

febd87f219ca4a4b401857d2023c04f1.jpg

c782de54d064eb11788b2b6498d05243.jpg

0d18ea40f7882ec3e266c5849fd0cd26.jpg

4761e777e1d7156cec8d76b4a7fc0abc.jpg

d05af7f76b1cee8270889cf1bb4dca63.jpg

e66d2b4aeb815ebc7949d5ca7be0a0e5.jpg

a6ad99633c8e03172c667161f1e11636.jpg

2172630c552d86c0eda255eb691569d2.jpg

bd296b5a54db3bc19f38d39fa8951c7e.jpg

170a450525c2d8bd2062a11705a5bce2.jpg