What have you done to your CX-5 today?

Did an interim oil change at 15,000kms. Penrite 5W-30 DL-1 synthetic for the 2.2 diesel as per Mazda Australia specs.

The recommended service interval here is every 10,000kms, which I get the dealer to do, and i like to be extra conservative and do an oil change between services. No filter change, just drop and change the oil. I figure that th ~ $40 for the oil is a good investment.

I also do the usual checks of battery electrolite, radiator coolant, brake fluid, washer fluid tyre pressures etc at the same time. All good.

Last edited:
First oil change, installed Fumoto valve and got a whole bunch of oil filters (45,000 mi worth) from quirk parts. Castrol Syntec 0W-20. Only real complication was the factory installed filter was REALLY tight. Tried one hand, two, some vise grips, and ended up just having to hammer a screw driver through to get enough leverage. After that, everything went smooth. Looking forward to having an easier, cleaner time next time around.

Seems like every single car that I do an oil change on for the first time requires me to puncture the filter with a screwdriver. Such a mess. (notcool)

....I need to type faster, Moonlighter (doh)

Same here recently. After reconciling the dollars comparing the LR Discovery with the CX-5, I was only spending an extra $25- $30 over the year.

So now I do an oil change every 5K and check everything. Then as per the Mazda service schedule for every 10K. Also, it never goes back to the dealer. All done in house.

Got to be happy with that.

Last edited:
....I need to type faster, Moonlighter (doh)

Same here recently. After reconciling the dollars comparing the LR Discovery with the CX-5, I was only spending an extra $25- $30 over the year.

So now I do an oil change every 5K and check everything. Then as per the Mazda service schedule for every 10K. Also, it never goes back to the dealer. All done in house.

Got to be happy with that.

Good work!

What oil are you using? I had the Penrite recommended to me. Happy with that as I am an Erebus V8 Supercars team fan. Betty and Dave - the best odd couple out there!

Recently saw Nulon have a Dl-1 available, Valvoline do too but not in a 5L container as far as I can figure.

Saw a new Honda CR-V the other day that was - according to the emblem, a "Touring" model. Thought it looked cool. So, I sourced one thru Amazon and installed it today just beneath the CX-5. Our CX-5 Touring is now a custom. ;)

Picture?

Changed the oil, first time. It's been awhile, since I have changed oil in one of my cars, more than ten years for sure. Went very well, very clean and fast. Used Mobil 1 from Costco, 6 bottles for $26.99, if I remember correctly, filter is Mazda from Amazon, $9.xx.

Mine got a half detail today. Outside washed and a coat of meguiars ultimate quick wax. I may go over the black trim a bit later. That stuff is a b****.

Detailed the interior for the first time. Quick wash on outside. Good wax job next time, too hot today...lol

About to take the roof rails off because I didn't want them anyways. Hit me up if anyone would want to buy them on the low low...

45c76a47363092e107f003b188c31a74.jpg

Installed Polk db562 in the rear doors, took an hour and they sound great!

Detailed the interior for the first time. Quick wash on outside. Good wax job next time, too hot today...lol

About to take the roof rails off because I didn't want them anyways. Hit me up if anyone would want to buy them on the low low...

This is tempting. My family has decided this is the year to get into kayaking and I need to be able to haul things around.

Back