What do you think? Balance Shaft Delete Kit?

that also has ZERO factual evidence, other than you stating it so.

Thanks i agree. The fact that he has it listed for so low and the only mod he has is a BSD definitely feels a little fishy. Makes you wonder about why he did it and the health of his engine.

tru-boost,
You might not know this yet, but there has been a confirmed "no balance shaft" death. (Guy was also running a upgraded fuel pump AND meth injection).

Just removing the BS isn't going to make a car bulletproof. If anything it might "help" prevent one of out a possible dozen or so engine failure points.

I have not seen any info on this. Maybe the owner waited too long to do the mod and the damage to the crank bearings was already done. And for the non-believers, there is PLENTY of evidence out there to support what i said. Do some research. The BS plagues the DSM cars badly. Once removed the engines hold a s*** load more power reliably. Ask any performance engine builder about it. Truth is the BS does more harm than good. Its only purpose is to absorb driveline vibration. I would rather not have the 20 pound chunk o s*** hanging off of my crank.

Last edited:
Not that I am saying its 100% true but the things I have seen on 6club about the blowups, they have been WITH the BS in place..

Ya and I'm just pointing out that BSD car's have blown too. Removing the BS is not an end all magical protector of the engine.

Not having a balance shaft is not going to save your engine if you're having detonation issues. (which IMO is the primary cause of most speed engine failures...people not paying attention to knock.)

Shafted Again!

Here's my two cents and that all it is.....

If your running a 1/4 mile car, I'd dump the shaft in a hurry as Tru Boost has stated. In quick rpm ramp ups the shaft would cause stress or flexing to the crank and BS. Note though that the gear on the Balance Shaft is much larger than the one on the crank to give the crank a mechanical advantage and not load it much.

Now If your road racing, I'd leave the BS in the motor as it kills a huge amount of engine vibrations, which will kill a motor which lives at the upper RPM limit for prolonged time. When I drove my Speed3 at freeway speeds and higher for 1600 miles, I became extremely impressed with the smoothness of the motor. At 60-80mph I could touch the door panels, dash, windows and not detect any vibes. Try this in a mid 70's inline four car or truck!

A lot of major Japanese motorcycle manufacturers have been building high horsepower bikes with balance shafts as they keep the wear down over years of operation and the rider fit during long rides. Like Tru Boost, the 1/4 milers have removed the shafts when it came to 1/4 mile duties...

I have not seen any info on this. Maybe the owner waited too long to do the mod and the damage to the crank bearings was already done. And for the non-believers, there is PLENTY of evidence out there to support what i said. Do some research. The BS plagues the DSM cars badly. Once removed the engines hold a s*** load more power reliably. Ask any performance engine builder about it. Truth is the BS does more harm than good. Its only purpose is to absorb driveline vibration. I would rather not have the 20 pound chunk o s*** hanging off of my crank.

The reason DSM guys remove the balance shaft is to make timing belt changes easier and faster. There is also a slight oil pressure increase since the rear balance shaft spins off the oil pump gear.

Boy are you guys missing the point of the BSD mod !! Its not about the small power increase. It fact on many cars that the BS can actually cause premature engine failure. It is driven off o a gear that is heat fused to the crankshaft. It literally about 20 pounds. It puts a s*** ton of stress on the crank bearings. Here is a fact for you. EVERY ms 3/6 that has blown an engine still had the BS in the motor. NOT A SINGLE ONE with the BSD mod has blown. You be the judge. My car = no BS !!

The BSD mod has really only been around for a few months and I would say only a handfull of people have pulled the trigger on it. It can't be any more than 50 or so. It's waaaaaaaaay to premature to insinuate that the BSD is the end all/be all to MZR failures given the number of test subjects/number of miles they have put on the car. We have seen it before that there seems to be no rhyme or reason to these failures. Some motors had 10k miles and some had 40k miles. Give it time, you will see more people with the BSD grenade their motors and they will be slightly farther up s***'s Creek without a warranty with the BSD installed.

Been runnign teh BSD from F2 for almost a year now (also running oil pan baffle). NO problems, Vibrations were minimal. Car runs 7 quarts fo oil. and we have it in a MS3 and my bros MS6. HE has been offering the BSD for a few years and so was cosworth. (focus motors). HE went as far as to call people at Ford and ask why the balance shaft. WEll if you look at a FOrd Ranger 2.3 same motor. JUst no gear or Balance shaft. BEcause its a truck the vibrations are not cared about as much. BUt when going to put the motors int he sedans, there was more vibrations. THe easiest and cheapest solution they came up with. Balance shaft. Was cheaper than redoing the motor.

Been runnign teh BSD from F2 for almost a year now (also running oil pan baffle). NO problems, Vibrations were minimal. Car runs 7 quarts fo oil. and we have it in a MS3 and my bros MS6. HE has been offering the BSD for a few years and so was cosworth. (focus motors). HE went as far as to call people at Ford and ask why the balance shaft. WEll if you look at a FOrd Ranger 2.3 same motor. JUst no gear or Balance shaft. BEcause its a truck the vibrations are not cared about as much. BUt when going to put the motors int he sedans, there was more vibrations. THe easiest and cheapest solution they came up with. Balance shaft. Was cheaper than redoing the motor.

All 4 cylinder motors are inherently unbalanced. Just the nature of the beast, "redoing" the motor would not help anything. That's the entire reason the balance shaft was invented.

Actually redoing the motor would help. If you're going built, a good engine shop can balance your rotating assembly far more precisely then the factory.

They'd basically "blueprint" your engine to optimal specs...were as the factory has a "range" of spec's the engine can meet, and still be "acceptable".

Back