what did you pay for your Mazda3 in the USA?

TinLemon

:
2001 Lexus IS300
I'm seriously thinking of purchasing a fully loaded, including nav, Mazda3 in the US and was wondering what other people have paid so far....especially for the sedan.

Too bad carsdirect.com doesn't have the car up in my zip code yet :(

Last edited:
Price

I bought mine on the 12th for $300 under MSRP. Fully loaded 5-door 5-speed stickered at $22,145. It was at a 1 price store so I didn't negotiate.

Re: Price

Do you have a digicam?

Can you take pictures of the nav unit in glove box?

Thanks!

tuckerware said:
I bought mine on the 12th for $300 under MSRP. Fully loaded 5-door 5-speed stickered at $22,145. It was at a 1 price store so I didn't negotiate.

Re: Price

tuckerware said:

Where did you get it at?? I'm thinking of getting mine at El Cajon Mazda pretty soon....

I had no idea those cars were selling for that much. That's way overpriced. I paid $21,000 for my S2000 with 25,000 miles on it. The Mazda 3 should only cost about $18,000 like the current Proteges. You guys are getting ripped off.

Re: Re: Price

Toeknee said:
Where did you get it at?? I'm thinking of getting mine at El Cajon Mazda pretty soon....

That's up for debate really. You can get a base model Mazda3i for just under 14k. You can get a loaded Mazda3s WITHOUT Nav for just under $20k... allegedly. In my opinion, the price is rather reasonable considering the size of the engine, features, etc.

I drive an IS300 right now and if I were to get one new right now I would pay over $30k for a car with equal power and LESS options than the Mazda3. You could also get a Mazda6 with less options for the same price as a loaded 3.

TinLemon said:
What would you get for the $22k range? new or slightly used (ie. '03)
How about a 1.5 to 2 year old Audi A6 2.7T. Or a 1 year old Audi A4 1.8T, or a 2 year old Honda S2000, or a 2 year old Audi TT. A Mazda 3 will never be worth anything over $20,000, I don't care what it comes with. Nav can be had for less than $1000 installed. It's just not worth it. And as for the IS300 you are talking about, I didn't know they were that underpowered. Which one are you talking about? And the interior on the lowest model IS300 is still light years beyond the quality of a Mazda 3 interior. Simply put, one is a Mazda, one is a Lexus, end of story.

Another thing to consider is insurance. One of the reasons I am looking to get rid of my IS300 because my insurance costs over $200/mo (I'm 24 with 1 ticket from 2 yrs ago, but otherwise perfect record) My insurance company quoted me at $88/mo for the Mazda3. Now... apply the insurance logic to an Audi, S2000, etc. Also, an S2000 can easily be eliminated from this discussion by the fact that is an impractical car because it is a roadster.

There is only 2 model of the IS300, sedan or sportcross.... most people get the sedan and it comes in either manual or auto. The IS only has 215hp/218tq and stock will only pull about a 7.3 1/4 mile. In fact, many people who purchased the IS also considered the Mazda6. Yes, one is a Lexus, one is a Mazda.... but the big picture is that you'll still spend A LOT less on the Mazda but get similar performance and options/features.

Insurance won't be an issue for you in a year. My insurance was more than cut in half when I turned 25. I went to over $100/month on my S2000 to like $45/month in my S2000 after my birthday.

I'm not trying to come across a smarty who has a come back for everything you suggest, but I honestly did call my insurance company(USAA) and had them calculate what my insurance will be when I turn 25. The cost surprised both me and the insurance agent because it only decreased about $30/mo. I guess this is what happens when half of the IS300 community starts installing turbos. :rolleyes:

The high insurance rates combined with just being tired of my car has encouraged me to go shopping for another car. I guess in some way I am also trying to justify paying over $20k for a new car when my 2 yr old IS300 is only worth about $22k itself. (shrug)

You really are comparing apples to oranges on new versus used though. Show me a NEW '04 with the SAME options that a loaded mz3 comes with and I promise it will be at least 10G's more.

Now if we have this same discussion in Jan '05 a used loaded '04 mz3 will probably go for $15K or less with low miles. Then you can compare it to a used 1.5 to 2 year old Audi A6 2.7T. Or a 1 year old Audi A4 1.8T, or a 2 year old Honda S2000, or a 2 year old Audi TT.

In my case, I am honestly addicted to Navi now. My current ride has it and it is such a useful tool, I cannot be without it now. I am just excited that an econobox finally offers it. You cannot even find to many econoboxes that off half of the options on the mz3.

I'm not trying to be a smart ass. I just wasn't sure if you knew that your insurance would go down after you turn 25. What insurance company do you use. I use USAA. They are the best company I have ever used. They also give me a $150+ check at the end of the year for dividends from my money I paid them in insurance. They make money off mine, so they give me a cut. But the catch to USAA is that you have to had worked for the government or been a member of the military or you cant be a member of USAA. Have you tried Geico? They are supposed to be pretty good.

I briefly mentioned in an earlier post that I us USAA. They offer a quote utility on their website where you can get a rough estimate of where your insurance will be in different situations. I then call them and get a more accurate quote. I explained to them that I thought my insurance was just too high so they ran my 25 yr old rate quote to see what it will go down to.

So you hve USAA and your insurance is still high? That's crazy. I have heard of some people haveing high rates with USAA though. But it isn't very common. I had a huge wreck with them about 4 years ago. The wreck totalled over $50,000 they had to pay in damages. The promtly dropped me. But now that the wreck has dropped off my record, I am back with them. And now I pay about $120/month for both my S2000 and my wifes car together. I think mine is around $50/month. And my car payment is only $335/month.

Last edited:
Yeah.. mine breaks down like this:
Car Payment: $350
Insurance: $200
Total: $550

If I get the Mazda3 I can get my payments down to about $200-$220/mo plus $88/mo insurance. So roughly $300/mo including insurance.... then I turn 25 in 5 months. I live in the DC metro area, so that might have something to do with my rates.

For comparison sake I priced a 2003 Civic figuring it would be a total lowball figure. It was quoted at $2000/yr :eek:

It could be something to do with the DC area. But I live in Dallas, near downtown. Who knows how insurance works. It's a huge complicated algorithm designed to just screw you out of more money.

Back