What did you pay for your CX-5?

My dad bought a FWD CX-5 Touring today for ~$23,900 (including the $500 customer loyalty discount). No packages but they threw in wheel locks and a rear bumper guard, so it was about $1600 under MSRP (with the loyalty discount).

As of this evening I am a proud CX-5 owner.

2014 White Pearl GT AWD with Tech and Roof Rails for $31,480 OTD/TTL.

Before TTL, 30,057.

Last edited:
May 31st 2013, Broomfield Colorado: 2014 CX-4 Touring AWD Sky Blue.

$26,660 MSRP

$25,818 for the car.
$599 BS Dealer Handling Fee
------
$26,417 Actual Cost to me

$183 under MSRP

I paid $1974.29 in taxes but you should ignore that since your area will be different. Focus on your offer price compared to mine and the factors below.

What I did wrong:

* Let the dealer know I was desperate and eager for the car
* Let the dealer know I totaled my previous car recently so time might be a factor
* Let the dealer know other dealers had not responded to me, limiting my ability to put them against competition.
* Let the dealer know I was focused on a specific model in a specific color.. And there was only 1 of those in my region.. limiting my ability to put them against competition.

What I did right:

* Tried to engage four dealers on the next to last day of the month with the expectation that many might want to make a quota.
* Let them know I didn't feel like coming down if no discounts were involved
* Let them know I was aware of dealer hold backs and other profit centers
* Negotiated remotely via email and telephone. They couldn't read my body language, I could contact other dealers, other friends for advice and I had no time constraints about their offers.
* Avoided the opportunity to get less money for a trade-in than its value. Geico's settlement with me was GREAT. Love them.
* Avoided the opportunity to finance at a higher than market rate. (I actually used a promotional 1.9% through them.)
* Avoided any type of "Document Fee"
* Avoided any type of "Advertising Fee"
* Avoided any other dealer fees than the ubiquitous "Dealer Handling fee"
* Avoided any high profit, unnecessary items such as paint protection, unnecessary warranties, protection from terrorism or space aliens.

Now that I own the car and I'm locked into these numbers, I don't even like to think about these numbers. Fact is, I could have done better but a few mistakes on my part and the fact that the Mazda CX-5 is a hot seller with great reviews prevented me from getting a car I need now at a really good price.

The perfect transaction for a dealer makes money on the sale price of the car, the trade-in and the financing. Additional options like accessories and last minute add-ins like third party paint protection are just icing. With this in mind, I think I did OK in limiting how much money is gone from my wallet. I think the dealer did good too, making a good amount of money on a very popular and hot selling car.

I'm waiting for this transaction to complete: I have the car but they have to install the roof rails and supply some accessories this week. If that goes well I'll be happy to name them publicly then. If you have specific questions, feel free to email me directly.

I hope you do better than I did, and I really hope you don't do worse. Cheers,

Proud new owner of a 2014 Liquid Silver CX-5 GT AWD with tech package. Also added Mazda rubber mats and cargo cover. No other options. Total cost to me before TTL was $30,084. I live in Nashville and am pleased with Nelson Mazda. I'm very happy with this deal and the buying experience.

Last edited:
Hey, first time buyer here... Any Canadians able to weigh in on this quote?

2014 CX5 FWD GS White Pearl (MSRP $28,850)
PRICE $27650
FREIGHT $1295
PDI $600
AIR TAX $100

Before I start asking for throw-ins I want to make sure this is reasonable. Thanks!

PRICE $27650
FREIGHT $1295
PDI $600
AIR TAX $100

Before I start asking for throw-ins I want to make sure this is reasonable. Thanks!

The wholesale (invoice price) for this trim is $26576 and the charge for White Pearl is $200 ($185 invoice).
I am not sure if there are any cash customer discounts and if you have access to loyalty program (if you owned a Mazda before).
My price posted last week on the page before works with Invoice + 3% profit for the dealer+ Scotia Bank borrowing fee($65)+ AC, tire tax (you will get charged that but it is only 20-29 $)+GST+PST (both taxes amount to 10%)
If this is your price before HST, I think it is a good price (except I am not aware of any incentives). Dealer makes some money (3-4%) and you do get it for below MSRP. If they try charging you for block heater (some may, some may not), it will be still decent..but not as good as you have it now.
GTA is way more competitive than Saskatoon but I think your price is decent because it does allow the dealer to make a bit of money on the sale. I know there are several other ways they make money but on a hot-selling like CX 5, I find it decent.
Make sure you pay no dealership admin fee etc. It is in the Mazda promise.

I am not a master negotiator when it comes to car buying. We get a new vehicle once a decade, so I don't get alot of practice. However, I don't think I got a bad deal three months ago. It is loaded with everything you can get on a CX-5 (with roof rack, rear bumper protector, cargo cover, all weather mats) I don't think there is anything available on one that we didn't get. however we didn't get the AWD, we don't need it where i am from.

2014 CX-5 Grand Touring Edition with Tech Package

$30,000 even (Tax, title, fees are included in this price)

Last edited:
I am a proud owner of a 2014 CX-5 touring with the moonroof package, as of last night. I paid $475 under invoice, before tax and what not. But I also received a discount due to family working there.

PRICE $27650
FREIGHT $1295
PDI $600
AIR TAX $100

Deal is finalized... I paid $27,650 (CAD) + fees above + tax, included is pearl white, tint, all-weather floor mats, moon roof deflector & cargo tray... I'm pretty damn happy

Deal is finalized... I paid $27,650 (CAD) + fees above + tax, included is pearl white, tint, all-weather floor mats, moon roof deflector & cargo tray... I'm pretty damn happy

Congratulations! You did very good, I wish I was more pushy for accessories, all weather mats and especially the cargo tray are a must.
Enjoy your new car!

First. Thanks to everyone for posting their experiences and helping with my purchase. I picked up a 2014 CX-5 AWD Touring in Charlottesville. Base price (including $795 destination charge) was $26,021. Added Moonroof/Bose, roof rack @ rear bumper guard, to bring total to $27,501 before title, tax, etc.

is the "destination charge" BS? Should I object to that? i don't really know, thanks.

is the "destination charge" BS? Should I object to that? i don't really know, thanks.
No, it's the delivery charge. I asked for the quoted price to include the destination charge & leave out Tax, Title & License as those are not negotiable.
Seriously ask Biggers Mazda for a quote & tell them I sent you.

thanks MATR6, will do.

However I do still kind of think it's BS if it's on the lot. Stores don't charge you for delivery to their store shelves. There's no way to get a car directly from the factory at the factory doors, so it should just be built into the cost, not a charge.

thanks MATR6, will do.

However I do still kind of think it's BS if it's on the lot. Stores don't charge you for delivery to their store shelves. There's no way to get a car directly from the factory at the factory doors, so it should just be built into the cost, not a charge.

You're right, they're BS.

Destination charges were probably legit at one point. I think I paid $195 in 1993 on my Honda Civic. I think I also paid an "Advertising fee" of $295 on top of that and probably a Dealer Handling fee on top of that.

When I bought my CX-5, I thought, in 2013 the $795 destination charge on a Mazda might be reasonable (if inflated) to ship a car from Japan. But I just checked the Ford website where I tried to "Build & Price" a Ford Escape and noticed they want $895 "Destination Charge". From Detroit, really?

Anyway, the best way for a car dealer to get you to pay more money is to confuse you. $25,295 isn't a friendly number and because it's over $25,000 and it seems like a lot. But how about I sell you the car for $24,500? Great. But there is a $795 destination fee that's non negotiable so you're total price will be... $25,295. It feels better when you think the car was "only $24,500."

I think today's $795 and $895 destination fees are the old destination fee, advertising fee and some other padding wrapped into something you think is non-negotiable. When you shop, take the MSRP, add the destination fee and use that as your baseline for what you'll pay and work down as far as you can go.

May 31st 2013, Broomfield Colorado: 2014 CX-4 Touring AWD Sky Blue.

$26,660 MSRP

$25,818 for the car.
$599 BS Dealer Handling Fee
------
$26,417 Actual Cost to me

$183 under MSRP

I paid $1974.29 in taxes but you should ignore that since your area will be different. Focus on your offer price compared to mine and the factors below.

What I did wrong:

* Let the dealer know I was desperate and eager for the car
* Let the dealer know I totaled my previous car recently so time might be a factor
* Let the dealer know other dealers had not responded to me, limiting my ability to put them against competition.
* Let the dealer know I was focused on a specific model in a specific color.. And there was only 1 of those in my region.. limiting my ability to put them against competition.

What I did right:

* Tried to engage four dealers on the next to last day of the month with the expectation that many might want to make a quota.
* Let them know I didn't feel like coming down if no discounts were involved
* Let them know I was aware of dealer hold backs and other profit centers
* Negotiated remotely via email and telephone. They couldn't read my body language, I could contact other dealers, other friends for advice and I had no time constraints about their offers.
* Avoided the opportunity to get less money for a trade-in than its value. Geico's settlement with me was GREAT. Love them.
* Avoided the opportunity to finance at a higher than market rate. (I actually used a promotional 1.9% through them.)
* Avoided any type of "Document Fee"
* Avoided any type of "Advertising Fee"
* Avoided any other dealer fees than the ubiquitous "Dealer Handling fee"
* Avoided any high profit, unnecessary items such as paint protection, unnecessary warranties, protection from terrorism or space aliens.

Now that I own the car and I'm locked into these numbers, I don't even like to think about these numbers. Fact is, I could have done better but a few mistakes on my part and the fact that the Mazda CX-5 is a hot seller with great reviews prevented me from getting a car I need now at a really good price.

The perfect transaction for a dealer makes money on the sale price of the car, the trade-in and the financing. Additional options like accessories and last minute add-ins like third party paint protection are just icing. With this in mind, I think I did OK in limiting how much money is gone from my wallet. I think the dealer did good too, making a good amount of money on a very popular and hot selling car.

I'm waiting for this transaction to complete: I have the car but they have to install the roof rails and supply some accessories this week. If that goes well I'll be happy to name them publicly then. If you have specific questions, feel free to email me directly.

I hope you do better than I did, and I really hope you don't do worse. Cheers,

Don't know if you bought at Spradley Barr there in Fort Collins but I wont ever buy from them again. I bought a Mazda 3 from them about 6 years ago and they were very high pressure and kept changing the numbers and lying about S plan pricing among other things. I got an ok deal but I would of been happy with them if I didn't have to fight for it for hours to get it.

I bought my CX-5 at Bountiful Mazda in Utah and was very pleased with them. I probably could of gotten a better deal on my trade in, but the fact that they offered actual trade in value plus took about 500 off the CX-5 on the first offer threw me off.

I worked at a car dealership for awhile and asked what they would give me for my car and even though I was an employee they only offered about $5K about $4K less than what the actual trade in value was. The retail value at the time was $14K

Brought my CX-5 GT AWD w Nav home a week ago, and paid invoice less $250. But dealer wouldn't waiver on $200 'dealer prep fee.' So I pretty much paid invoice.

Back