What did you pay for your CX-5?

Yes and to be honest I don't think I haggled as well as I could have. Its one of the last great bastions of sexism but I am pretty sure I would have gotten a better deal if I brought a guy with me. ::sigh::

Hey guys. New guy here.

Got a quote for a 2014 FWD Auto sport, with bluetooth, for $22,599 before tax and registration. I think it's a good price, but what do you guys think? Keep looking, or go for it?

New to the forum but lurked for a while. Just got a 2014 GS AWD for $34 524 on the road. Fierce negotiations but I guess this is the lowest I was able to go (and he dealer made a little bit of profit too). Saskatoon, Canada.

Thanks to this forum I go in for the final round today and will hopefully come home with a 2014 White Touring FWD sand interior (no options). I did not get the final price that I was pushing. I probably could have tried harder (shopped around more and played dealer against dealer like I did with my Titan). Plus I could do a little better selling my Titan rather than trade, but I am ready to get this done. This will be my third time to this dealer so I feel worn out and I bet they are ready for me to go away as well. :)

The dealership did really good on several points and deserves kudos. As of this morning they did not have the model/color on the lot and had to drive across city and get one from another dealer, not to mention having to deal with me when they have plenty of other customers. They were very busy each time we visited.

Thanks to all you guys posting. Using this thread, CR bottom line pricing and Truecar has helped.
If the math holds up through the final paper work I should be driving home at $25,995. This is not considering the trade in.

Used the Costco buying service. They directed us to a single good dealer, one we were likely going to use anyway, after visiting and getting 8 quotes from regional dealers. Costco price was about $100 higher than invoice for a GT Tech and plus Costco gave us voucher for $200 for parts/service at the selling dealer. It was the easiest deal we have ever made, least stressful and the fact that I had done my due diligence in obtaining quotes assured me that I had gotten the lowest or close to the lowest I was going to get without lots of negotiation. All 8 dealers understood I was essentially reverse auctioning them, and would start with the lowest price dealer out the door. Those that asked me, I freely gave them the lowest price I had gotten. I hate to work this way, but after previous bad deals I made, I don't know what else to do. We also visited a number of dealers so we got a sense of how they worked. Some were clearly not desirable and disorganized.

Last edited:
so I'm interested in buying a 2014 GT CX5 without the tech package... any advice on how to convince the dealer not to attach their dealer sticker to the back?

so I'm interested in buying a 2014 GT CX5 without the tech package... any advice on how to convince the dealer not to attach their dealer sticker to the back?
Make it a condition of the sale and make sure it's in writing before you sign.

And if you cannot make it a condition of sale, unless it is like a Carmax decal, they are pretty easy to peel off. The plastic ones are the easiest, a little dental floss will easily remove. A little heat, I emphasize little, from a hair dryer can help it along. Left over residue, use goo gone, goof off or automotive adhesive remover (body shop parts supply). The decal like stuff I have never had to face, but I understand there is a decal remover. Make sure to rewax the surface afterwards.

Also, I know somewhat unrelated but can anyone tell me how large the cx5 glove compartment is? I cleaned out my mazda3 today and that glove compartment could hold SO much. Basically, I'd like to know if I could shove a moderate sized purse in it to get it out of peeping eyes (I do plan to purchase a cargo cover at some point).

It's pretty deep, though not especially wide vertically. Should take a pretty large purse, for sure.

wife and I are looking to buy a car after 7 years in Chicago without. Reason being we've got our first one the way. :)

I like the CX-5 Grand Touring fully loaded (though still trying to figure out "wants" from "needs"). I'm wonder if there is any leeway if you're ordering one that you built yourself, or if it's just invoice price?

As far as I can tell, there is some leeway, and but you are hard pressed to get invoice price and below. Maybe above invoice by a couple of hundred, maybe less depending on conditions...

Mazda seems to make it easy. Grand Touring has one option, the Tech Package, and that comes pre-installed at the factory. Oh, and certain colors were upcharge, like the Pearl White or Soul Red. Our dealer had various colors of GT with and without tech package, mostly with, and all with AWD. The only other pre-installed things besides paint, we saw were accessories, mostly the roof rack. I would just buy the GT, if that is what you want, and decide whether you want the Tech Package or not.

Any accessories, buy aftermarket from Mazda internet parts dealers, etc. We used Costco, and for buying through them, and answering their post sale surveys, they gave $200 coupon to spend at the selling dealer for parts/service. So we might buy a cargo cover or something like that with it, or use it for service. Other accessories are pretty easy to self install, from all weather mats to roof rack to sill trim, to cargo net, etc.

Congrats on the new one!

wife and I are looking to buy a car after 7 years in Chicago without. Reason being we've got our first one the way. :)

I like the CX-5 Grand Touring fully loaded (though still trying to figure out "wants" from "needs"). I'm wonder if there is any leeway if you're ordering one that you built yourself, or if it's just invoice price?

Back