What did you pay for your CX-5?

Yea, Captain Obvious, such a horrible name to call some one.

I said 90% because there are some leases out there that DO offer "Zero down leases". Mazda's does not advertise that. Mazda lease "offers" all clearly state $money down.
Sorry... I just cannot stand judgy people. Don't judge him because he put some money down to get the payment he wanted.

(Not specifically referring to you there on that last comment...looks at Mango....).

Last edited:
There is absolutely 0 reason why anyone should be putting money down on a lease. You're better off putting the down payment towards the monthly payment. The only reason Mazda advertises putting money down on leases is advertise to the lower monthly rate vs the higher rate when you put no money down. Putting money down on a lease is flat out stupid.

And YES, LOTS OF PEOPLE would care about losing their $2500 if they totaled their car. Had he/she put 0 down on the lease, he/she would still have that $2500 in their pocket towards another vehicle as opposed to being out $2500.

Last edited:
It's not stupid. At the end of the lease you're paying the same whether you put nothing down, or $1000 down.

If I walk away from a crash bad enough to total my car, I'll be grateful...not upset over money.

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

Exactly. ..love the $0 down leases...

Wether vehicle is wrecked, stolen, flooded, hailstorm, even if car is fixed, You are not out the money or the extra vehicle depreciation from the title damage.

10% down is typical... I put the money down to lower the payments.. Rather spend less monthly with a little down rather than spend more monthly.

10% down is typical... I put the money down to lower the payments.. Rather spend less monthly with a little down rather than spend more monthly.
That is what we did. Put a $1000 down, $700 trade in & $300 cash. 36mo lease payment for a 2016.5 GT AWD w/Tech is $285. I was quite happy with it as I wasnt expecting to be under $300, especially with only $1000 down.

Sent from my Galaxy S7 Edge using Tapatalk

I've only leases one car in my life. I put $8,000 down. Yep...$8,000. The value of the 2 cars I traded in. That was 2013. Loved the car so much we bought the lease out.
Still haven't totalled it.

That is what we did. Put a $1000 down, $700 trade in & $300 cash. 36mo lease payment for a 2016.5 GT AWD w/Tech is $285. I was quite happy with it as I wasnt expecting to be under $300, especially with only $1000 down.

Sent from my Galaxy S7 Edge using Tapatalk

Well roughly $1000 went to tax title license I believe... the rest was the down payment..

Looks like there will be fire sale on CX-5 with 2017 model arriving shortly in dealerships. Been watching inventory numbers (autotrader) and they haven't gone down much in SF Bay Area in a while

Hi All! First time posting:

I purchased a CX5 yesterday. Wanted to see how I did...
AWD GT w/Tech and active sense - MSRP $33,700
With all Rebates & Discounts -> $30,900
Trade in ~$1000 more than other 2 dealers (found this easiest place to negotiate), so leading to $29,900...

If I'm reading these other posts right, it's about 11% off MSRP. Is it fair to say, not awful, but 15% would have been "perfect"?

Last edited:
Hi All! First time posting:

I purchased a CX5 yesterday. Wanted to see how I did...
AWD GT w/Tech and active sense - MSRP $33,700
With all Rebates & Discounts -> $30,900
Trade in ~$1000 more than other 2 dealers (found this easiest place to negotiate), so leading to $29,900...

If I'm reading these other posts right, it's about 11% off MSRP. Is it fair to say, not awful, but 15% would have been "perfect"?

You need to factor in time and convenience and trim availability. If your first choice color were few in your region and is popular you may pay more. I don't think even now 15% is common. I got mine in August@12.2 percent off.

I was originally quoted $25,700 for my recent FWD Touring/Tech, but had to bump it up to $27K in order to get the 0% financing, which was worth it for me. Not as sharp a deal, perhaps, but there were only three (!) models in the trim package that I wanted in a 50-mile radius (while there were many hundreds of modes in different trims).

A little modification to my original pricing due to the backorder of the cargo tray that the dealer originally threw in. So here are my final numbers:
Purchased 11/25/16
2016.5 Jet Black CX-5 GT FWD w/o either package
MSRP: $29,470
Sale Price after discounts/rebates: $25,909
Negotiated accessories:
Cargo Liner $-99
Roof Rail (installed): $-400 ($250 retail on roof rails and they said they normally charged $150 for installation)
Total final price: $25,410

I was originally quoted $25,700 for my recent FWD Touring/Tech, but had to bump it up to $27K in order to get the 0% financing, which was worth it for me. Not as sharp a deal, perhaps, but there were only three (!) models in the trim package that I wanted in a 50-mile radius (while there were many hundreds of modes in different trims).

they jacked the price up on you to give financing? that's total crap & why i refuse to discuss financing until the price is fully negotiated - one of the biggest games they play is to try & factor in your trade and financing on the sale price, i've walked away from more than one dealer because of it

RDK - you could have taken their financing and then switched to a Credit Union - all said and done the Credit Union would have given you 1.99 on a new car. Not bad and the 1300 savings upfront are good - I would think you save about 500 - 700 dollars.
If you re paid that 1300 towards the loan that would make your net out even better.

A lot of brands do this. Jeep offered me $3,500 off with 3.5% financing, or $500 off with 0%.
I'm sure you know, after a 5 year loan that $3,500 gets eaten up by $2700 of interest.

A lot of brands do this. Jeep offered me $3,500 off with 3.5% financing, or $500 off with 0%.
I'm sure you know, after a 5 year loan that $3,500 gets eaten up by $2700 of interest.
You take 3500 and in 30 days switch to local credit union. Its legal and costs you about$100. You get 1.99 or something less than 3.5 for sure. Thing is if you went with 500 deal you lose 3 grand instantly... With a loan who knows if you get a bonus or are able to prepay a litttle in the end interest will be low.

RDK - you could have taken their financing and then switched to a Credit Union - all said and done the Credit Union would have given you 1.99 on a new car. Not bad and the 1300 savings upfront are good - I would think you save about 500 - 700 dollars.
If you re paid that 1300 towards the loan that would make your net out even better.

Oh, I know there were things I could do, but once I made my decision I just wanted to get out of there. Also didn't want to deal with another bank or credit union if I could help it. And I only put $1000 down with no trade-in. Like I said, there were only a very few of the trim/packages that I wanted so I had little leverage to walk away. Over a 60-month loan, I may have "overspent" 10-15 bucks/mo.

You take 3500 and in 30 days switch to local credit union. Its legal and costs you about$100. You get 1.99 or something less than 3.5 for sure. Thing is if you went with 500 deal you lose 3 grand instantly... With a loan who knows if you get a bonus or are able to prepay a litttle in the end interest will be low.
But I didn't want the Jeep. ;)

Back