What did you pay for your CX-5?

What the GT package offers is the optional i-ActivSense option which provides the Smart City Braking and Smart Braking which will stop the car by itself if it senses a collision is very probable.

What the GT package offers is the optional i-ActivSense option which provides the Smart City Braking and Smart Braking which will stop the car by itself if it senses a collision is very probable.

In the US, Smart City Braking (low speed) is part of the Tech package. You are correct that Smart Braking (high speed) is part of the i-Active package.

In the US, Smart City Braking (low speed) is part of the Tech package. You are correct that Smart Braking (high speed) is part of the i-Active package.

The City Braking works at speeds under 20mph while the Smart Braking works at speeds above 20mph+

In order to get the IActive package you must also purchase the Tech package with the GT. You cannot get IActive without Tech.

I wonder is it possible to take the $500 credit for the financing and then pay off the loan the next month without any penalties?

I thought about that, but I wasn't paying cash (financed through credit union) so my only option would be to refinance through them, but at a used car interest rate.

I thought about that, but I wasn't paying cash (financed through credit union) so my only option would be to refinance through them, but at a used car interest rate.

Most banks and credit unions will give you the new car loan rate on a refinance provided the car has less than 5000 miles on it and it's within 6 months of the initial purchase date. My father and I have done this 3 times with 2 different credit unions.

Thanks for the feedback and letting me think out loud. Went for a crystal white pearl GT w/Tech. Everyone is in love with it, including me :D
Just over 31K after taxes/fees.

Impressive ! What was your vehicle price w/o taxes and fees?

Thanks for the feedback and letting me think out loud. Went for a crystal white pearl GT w/Tech. Everyone is in love with it, including me :D
Just over 31K after taxes/fees.

Hey guys! So, this is my first post. I've been reading all of your posts and am so thankful for all of your help so far! I will be purchasing a 2016 GT FWD with Tech Package. I have been emailing multiple dealers to try and find the best price. So far, the best I can find is 30,600. Out the door. Now, this might be a dumb question, but I will be buying my car with cash. Does that make a difference on the price? Such as discounts I won't be able to get? Etc? I live in Northern CA. I would SO appreciate any help!!

Hey guys! So, this is my first post. I've been reading all of your posts and am so thankful for all of your help so far! I will be purchasing a 2016 GT FWD with Tech Package. I have been emailing multiple dealers to try and find the best price. So far, the best I can find is 30,600. Out the door. Now, this might be a dumb question, but I will be buying my car with cash. Does that make a difference on the price? Such as discounts I won't be able to get? Etc? I live in Northern CA. I would SO appreciate any help!!

I think they still have a $500 rebate on the GT if you finance. You should check with the dealer There is another thread on this topic on the board.

We were offered a small break in price, ~200, to take the Mazda financing vs. our credit union. They told us they get 750 per loan and share some of it back with you. No prepayment penalty so you could pay it off immediately.

I got a quote for a GT AWD with tech for $29,637. Includes $500 Mazda financing and a couple other miscellaneous discounts. I should not that this is final price with taxes and tags. Also they're giving me 13600 for my trade and I owe 12,236. So putting that together, what do you guys think? It seems if you take my trade equity of $1000 away, I'm just $1k below MRSP.

Last edited:
34,199 USD OTD for 2016 Mazda CX-5 GT with i-activesense and Tech packages

Firstly, I'd recommend getting quotes from at least 3 dealers for comparison. There is so much variation here on the forum from the date they bought it to the small accessories, tax rates and even the financing differences add up.

$34,199 USD out the door (meaning after tax, document fee, other fees, DMV registration, etc) + $356 or so in financing over 3 years on a $10,000 down payment.

2016 CX-5 GT
  • Roof Rack with cross bars (that's two items. They sell them separately)
  • All weather floor mats (does not include the trunk cargo one)
  • Tech package
  • i-activesense package

TIPS ON BUYING A CAR:
1. When you get the quotes, confirm if this is for the $500 rebate included in the price assuming you're using standard financing or if it's assuming the special discounted 0.9% APR for 36 months. The difference in pricing could be more than $500. This is a big one. You have to confirm which price the dealer is giving you.
2. Add the options after the negotiations of the base price b/c no dealer I've come across will discount the options/accessories. The prices on those will most likely be the same from dealership to dealership. Since this is the case, buy your accessories online unless you need their "free installation" like in the case of my roof rack. The all-weather floormats I should have bought online for cheaper.
3. You're supposed to pay tax in the City that you're registering the vehicle. Confirm that the Out the Door price includes the correct sales tax rate.

Last edited:
Also they're giving me 13600 for my trade and I owe 12,236. So putting that together, what do you guys think? It seems if you take my trade equity of $1000 away, I'm just $1k below MRSP.

Keep in mind the amount you owe has no bearing on whether this is a good deal or not. The only two things that determine how good any potential deal is:

1) Price of new car
and
2) trade-in value of used car.

The amount you owe on the old car only matters insofar as whether you can afford the new car (not the fairness of the deal).

Keep in mind the amount you owe has no bearing on whether this is a good deal or not. The only two things that determine how good any potential deal is:

1) Price of new car
and
2) trade-in value of used car.

The amount you owe on the old car only matters insofar as whether you can afford the new car (not the fairness of the deal).

Well after looking at the quote they gave me, the total purchase is at 29,524 before taxes, titles, and tags. From a MRSP of 31,855. Now that I'm calculating it that comes out to be around 2300 in savings off MRSP. Sounds pretty good after doing more of the math.

I was hoping they'd cut me an even better deal being that my dad was right there besides me putting down a deposit to buy a new 16 Miata GT. Figured buying two cars at once would of given them more wiggle room.

Last edited:
Got mine for $34k cash OTD, for a 2016 GT with the backup sensors and remote starter. Wasn't too great of a deal by any standard but I didn't want to haggle at all.

This is an example of how small details can change the context of how people perceive the price by quite a bit. Is this an AWD version or a FWD?

Good deal?

This is an example of how small details can change the context of how people perceive the price by quite a bit. Is this an AWD version or a FWD?

Just bought 2016 AWD CX 5 GT black with parchment. Used Costco auto buying and paid $30,047 (price included only $500 owner loyal). Msrp $32,230. This car has tech package and bumper guard and roof rack rails.

Back