What Are Your Biggest Gripes?

sorry to butt in...thinking about getting a cx7 myself, anyway...i hear the ipod adapter is coming in the next model yr...and i think for the money, overall, not a bad deal! oh, i have that autolock feature on my current suv, and i HATE it!

I've been reading these posts for a month or so now, and there's one thing that has occurred to me that I have not seen anyone else mention. Let me say that this is not a gripe - just an observation. I'm surprised that Mazda did not put in a stick-type parking brake along the center console. Considering Mazda's reputation as a maker of sports cars, and the zoom-zoom marketing of the CX as having the soul of a sportscar, along with the interior design aspects that mimick or evoke the RX-8, Miata and MazdaSpeed series, I would have thought that a stick-type parking brake would have been more in keeping with the sports car feel. Like I said, this is no big deal for me (and apparently anyone else) at all, just an observation.

I am 4 days and 175 miles in to my CX-7, and am loving everything about it. And everyone I've shown it to loves it, too!

Cheap carpet and the side panels look a little below par. The dirt that gets on the door panels underneath. Other than that I love this car. My 3rd Mazda in a row.....started with a new Protege 5 wagon then the RX 8 and now the CX 7. Mazda's are a favorite brand of mine along with Acura. Zoom Zoom with room room!

cruzdreamer said:
Cheap carpet and the side panels look a little below par. The dirt that gets on the door panels underneath. Other than that I love this car. My 3rd Mazda in a row.....started with a new Protege 5 wagon then the RX 8 and now the CX 7. Mazda's are a favorite brand of mine along with Acura. Zoom Zoom with room room!

(band)

come on man

me too i am so tired of hearing about i-pod support and mp3 junk ola
this mazda crossover is excellent for the money, just buy the acura and spend more and live with brakes that take much longet to stop, plus a much harsher ride, not to mention that the cx7 is a smoother riding verhicle
people complaining about the cx7 should really just buy something else, geeezzzzzz!!!!!! for me i love what the cx7 has, i got it virtually loaded for 35k
awd, sat radio dealer installed nav, remote start everything. lovin it sorry no complaints

tomweston said:
this mazda crossover is excellent for the money, just buy the acura and spend more and live with brakes that take much longet to stop, plus a much harsher ride, not to mention that the cx7 is a smoother riding verhicle
people complaining about the cx7 should really just buy something else, geeezzzzzz!!!!!! for me i love what the cx7 has, i got it virtually loaded for 35k
awd, sat radio dealer installed nav, remote start everything. lovin it sorry no complaints

thank you. amen.

we should merge this thread with the duplicate thread with the poll.

I agree on the merge if the mod would be kind enough :)

When you spend almost $20-30K on a car you have every right to complain if there are things you don't like... and for the record, I don't share every complaint on the list - I ONLY picked 4 things, and 3 of them revolved around the radio. When I made the list of "gripes" to pick from I was trying to include all the little things I've heard around these forums and others.

I should have to buy an Acura to get iPod support? Come on now. It would have cost Mazda ZERO extra dollar to get the radio in their tech package right.

CXRabbit said:
I agree on the merge if the mod would be kind enough :)

When you spend almost $20-30K on a car you have every right to complain if there are things you don't like... and for the record, I don't share every complaint on the list - I ONLY picked 4 things, and 3 of them revolved around the radio. When I made the list of "gripes" to pick from I was trying to include all the little things I've heard around these forums and others.

I should have to buy an Acura to get iPod support? Come on now. It would have cost Mazda ZERO extra dollar to get the radio in their tech package right.

But then they can't charge you more than a small ipod for the attachement to play the ipod! :D

Probably some bean counter at corporate decided that it would be a "good idea" to make it an accessory on such a new, hot vehicle. They will milk it until sales drop off and then offer it as "new updates for the new model year" Same goes for the fact that the standard cd player in the sport will not support mp3 files.

Acura's approach is very different. They load up their vehicles with tons of options and only offer a tech/navi option. Personally, this does not work for me because living in so cal I can not stand leather seats, heated seats and sunroofs. Most people love these luxury car touches, however for me I would rather have the option to not have that added to my vehicles.

Now that I think about it, maybe some larger mudflaps as accessories would have been nice too. Hmm, might have to find some aftermarket ones and do a diy.

kailua said:
But then they can't charge you more than a small ipod for the attachement to play the ipod! :D

Probably some bean counter at corporate decided that it would be a "good idea" to make it an accessory on such a new, hot vehicle. They will milk it until sales drop off and then offer it as "new updates for the new model year" Same goes for the fact that the standard cd player in the sport will not support mp3 files.

Acura's approach is very different. They load up their vehicles with tons of options and only offer a tech/navi option. Personally, this does not work for me because living in so cal I can not stand leather seats, heated seats and sunroofs. Most people love these luxury car touches, however for me I would rather have the option to not have that added to my vehicles.

Now that I think about it, maybe some larger mudflaps as accessories would have been nice too. Hmm, might have to find some aftermarket ones and do a diy.

Neither do most of the GT CD Players. Mine certainly does not, as many others do not as well. The Bose/CD player is not a std MP3 player. Some may be enabled as they included them into production.

The thing with the Acura, when i was shopping an RDX, the base model is nothing more than a CX-7.(interior preference is subjective, I liked the 7 much more so than the Acura. MAzda had some style, some flare, and it just wasnt BLAH like the Acura.) I did not think SH-AWD was worth 4-5k more than a loaded 7. W/O the tech pkg, the Acura is pretty basic, too.

Stupid foot parking brake!!!!
Need more power (more is better)
Reminds (sometimes) me of a Mini Van when driving (cant see the hood)

Kind of got used to my Outback, so a trade in may come in a year or so... for a Outback turbo... Not sure yet too soon to say. With that said, I LIKE the car!

kailua said:

I have no problem paying for the option, as long as it's a GOOD one. From what I know, the currently available one SUCKS (unless you're a math genius) and it isn't compatible with the Tech Package. There ISN'T one compatible with the Tech Package, and honestly, it should have been a priority for them to get it done if they weren't going to include it as part of the deal.

mikey1981 said:
Neither do most of the GT CD Players. Mine certainly does not, as many others do not as well. The Bose/CD player is not a std MP3 player. Some may be enabled as they included them into production.

You're saying that some can play MP3 and some can't? That's rather odd.

From what people have said on this board, they say their Bose player has played MP3 cd's.

I question if they know the difference of burning a CD made from MP3's into WAVS (regular cd) or if its an actual MP3 FIle cd that they are playing, but in either case, people have said theirs plays mp3s.

Heres the thing with this ipod scenario. Dont say that NOTHING WORKS, it makes it sound like absolutely nothing works on the market. U can have a tech pkg and use a transmitter, its really not that big a deal. But saying everywhere possible that an iPod wont work is kinda giving the wrong impression.

mikey1981 said:
From what people have said on this board, they say their Bose player has played MP3 cd's.

I question if they know the difference of burning a CD made from MP3's into WAVS (regular cd) or if its an actual MP3 FIle cd that they are playing, but in either case, people have said theirs plays mp3s.

It's listed as a feature in the manual... I'll test it later

When did u buy yours? Mine had a date of 5/06. one of the first ones, and it def wont play an Mp3 disc, cuz i tried, and i have about 1,000+ of them lol.

mikey1981 said:
Heres the thing with this ipod scenario. Dont say that NOTHING WORKS, it makes it sound like absolutely nothing works on the market. U can have a tech pkg and use a transmitter, its really not that big a deal. But saying everywhere possible that an iPod wont work is kinda giving the wrong impression.
I don't have an IPOD, but if I get one or an MP3 player, I will just go through the FM. I did that with the XM radio in another vehicle and it worked fine, except when traveling long distances I sometimes had to switch the FM frequency. I know there is a difference in sound quality, but I found it worked fine. Of course going through the FM lacks the ability to change songs via the touchscreen, but I could care less. (wiggle)

I like my music, but with FM, 6 CDs, and SAT radio, I get more than enough music options to suit my needs.(cabpatch) Assuming the MP3 CDs work, I will have even more options, so from my own personal perspective, I don't care if I ever use an IPOD or MP3 player. I'm sure by the next time I purchase a vehicle it will be pretty much a standard feature.

mikey1981 said:
When did u buy yours? Mine had a date of 5/06. one of the first ones, and it def wont play an Mp3 disc, cuz i tried, and i have about 1,000+ of them lol.
I bought mine the end of December, but I've never checked an MP3 disk in a it. My VIN number is a later build that supposedly already has the Gas Cap fix. I don't know why they would mention MP3s in the manual if they don't work.(shocked)

If you want your iPod to work and to sound good, there isn't an option available. And off the lot, your iPod will not plug into the car (like so many others)... you have to go out and buy an adaptor, and currently, there is no adaptor that works for the CX-7 with Tech. FM Transmitters aren't the greatest solution at all, don't come with the car, and if you live in a relatively congested area, sound pretty damn bad.

And yeah, there are other music options. Satellite radio is good and I enjoy it (but it's still radio). MP3 CDs work but with a Random Feature that doesn't work properly it makes it harder to enjoy the experience. It may sound minor to you, but it's actually VERY annoying for someone who listens to music a lot. I honestly thought I'd be fine with the MP3 CDs until I realized the Random Feature doesn't work right, and the radio is lacking is some other basic features.

All of which would be FINE if this weren't the "pay-a-lot-extra-for" Tech Package. Part of it, I realize, is my own fault (but who knew when I was testing the radio out ahead of buying the car that I had to test for the most basic of features) -- but part of it *IS* Mazda's fault.

Last edited:
CXRabbit said:
If you want your iPod to work and to sound good, there isn't an option available. And off the lot, your iPod will not plug into the car (like so many others)... you have to go out and buy an adaptor, and currently, there is no adaptor that works for the CX-7 with Tech. FM Transmitters aren't the greatest solution at all, don't come with the car, and if you live in a relatively congested area, sound pretty damn bad.

And yeah, there are other music options. Satellite radio is good and I enjoy it (but it's still radio). MP3 CDs work but with a Random Feature that doesn't work properly it makes it harder to enjoy the experience. It may sound minor to you, but it's actually VERY annoying for someone who listens to music a lot. I honestly thought I'd be fine with the MP3 CDs until I realized the Random Feature doesn't work right, and the radio is lacking is some other basic features.

All of which would be FINE if this weren't the "pay-a-lot-extra-for" Tech Package. Part of it, I realize, is my own fault (but who knew when I was testing the radio out ahead of buying the car that I had to test for the most basic of features) -- but part of it *IS* Mazda's fault.

that is totally subjective. my adapter/transmitter works fine and sounds great, so ur just assuming its going to sound bad, when in fact it does work well for most people. Like i said, there is a solution, so dont discount it just on the fact that it may not sound "good" to you.

Back