No mute button
Better radio integration with nav...

CX7andMiata said:
No bluetooth
No mileage computer
No autolock feature after you reach a speed of 5 or more
No mute button
Better radio integration with nav...

I have a mute button on my touring right on my left steering wheel control top left button a speaker with a slash in it.

General comment : This is America trade it or sell it you do not like your Cx-7's the dealerships would love used one on there lots :) I wouldn't change a thing and if I did I'd do it myself to be unique. All the audio comments by everyone (not you CX7and Miata) I'd rather go top end custom install, factory stuff never impressed me nor all this IPOD stuff damn how long you guys sitting in your cars or just driving around aimlessly. I barely listen to music that why I cut all that crap off my cx-7 and saved thousands. I'm more old school performance,looks first,audio dead last.

Last edited:
Mitza,

I agree in general with your comments. I have gotten to the point with all the little things that I am starting to play with the idea of trading it in. None of the things I mentioned are big but they are like a small stone in my shoe that keeps nagging at me. Particularly, the lack of a mute button (if you have the nav system the button the steering wheel you refer to is the voice command for the nav) is annoying everytime I get a phone call and the lack of a trip computer is just silly (particularly since Mazda put them on the Aus. models).

Like you I couldn't care less about an IPOD jack but the autolock feature is a safety issue in my mind and I amazed that Mazda left it out. I have had that feature on every care I have purchased since the late 1990's...

Anyway, I am still considering what to do but I hate the idea of car shopping again and the hit I would take because of depreciation is also an issue. I am considering an after market alarm system with bluetooth and autolock to address some of my issues but it is expense and I am still undecided. Guess I will just live with it for a while until I can figure out what to do...

Is anyone else starting to have thoughts of trading??? :(

The auto lock I know is a GM thing and aftermarket alarms do have the feature. Don't trade it off just yet, the Cx-7 has been out such a short time I have found so much cool stuff on this board and its only going to grow as the years go on. I'm coming from a Mitsubishi background like 20 cars this mazda impresses me so much and there new product line maybe I don't recognize what I was missing all the previous years with other makes. I plan to buy a speed 6 and maybe a cx9 within the next few years to replace my other existing cars. Thank You Mazda North America :)

This thread was supposed to be a poll... it's now here:
http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?t=123659701

CX7 - I'm not having thoughts on trading in. I DO love the car, but little things, like you, are nagging at me. One of the reasons I bought this car was to have the sportiness, the room (I have two teenagers) and the luxury-like features (hence why I went GT with Tech).

We all have our wants and needs in a car and the iPod thing wouldn't irk me half as much if the rest of the Tech-Package radio functioned properly... like say, how about with a damn MUTE or PAUSE button. I can't believe neither are there especially when it's a touch-screen interface that could have accommodated anything the programmers wanted. The Random function doesn't work right and while I thought MP3 CDs would be a good substitute for iPod support that hasn't turned out to be the case because of these other missing features.

I don't need bluetooth, but I could totally see being irked big-time by not having it, and then top that off with no mute feature. Every time your phone rings you already wish it would connect directly to the car (which already HAS a microphone dammit!) and then with no mute button it must REALLY get under your skin. That's how I feel about my music experience now.

So, I'm considering ripping the whole radio/nav system out. Yup, I'll have wasted some money, no doubt... but it won't be as much of a loss as trading in the car... plus, I test drove a LOT of cars in this class and for size, sportiness and feature-set (in this price range) there really was NOTHING else. I do enjoy driving it, and I do, overall, like the car.

Make sure you do a lot of research on aftermarket alarms, and that they will "play nice" with the Smart-Key system. I've had issues with that with aftermarket remote starters and ended up back at the Mazda one.

Last edited:
I wouldn't trade away from my CX-7. It makes me too happy and is a darn impressive car in the snow. While I wish it had real i-pod support, generally I don't listen to music in the car: I talk to my passenger. So that's not a real issue, just a missed opportunity for indulgence.

Once I get my door seals changed out & remote start installed, I'll be even more delighted.

UpNorth said:
I wouldn't trade away from my CX-7. It makes me too happy and is a darn impressive car in the snow. While I wish it had real i-pod support, generally I don't listen to music in the car: I talk to my passenger. So that's not a real issue, just a missed opportunity for indulgence.

Once I get my door seals changed out & remote start installed, I'll be even more delighted.

Ditto, the AWD in the snow here in N.Illinois is extremely nice, the door seals here my dealer said they just hit backorder :( I've been waiting 2 weeks

My wife and I recently drove a Mazda CX-7 Grand Touring w/NAV, MSRP was roughly $31,000 and after the test drive we scratched our heads. First of all, in a 2007 vehicle so "cutting edge" like the CX-7......where is the ipod jack? Or any type of MP3 (AUX) jack?? No where to be found. Second, this vehicle requires premium fuel (and drinks it happily) that is to be understood with the turbo engine, ok Mazda........zoom-zoom over efficiency. Third, what's up with the $5.00 steering wheel from a 1980 Camaro?? I mean come on, in a $30,000+ vehicle it is a joke. Fourth, the seats are NOT comfortable, nor do they hold you in place in sporty driving.......you sit ON them, rather than IN them. Fifth, the "GT stripe" on the Grand Touring is awful, again this belongs in a Mazda 3 or Mazda 6 interior.......not in this vehicle. Sixth, COULD MAZDA PICK WORSE/CHEAPER/HARDER PLASTIC to use inside the cabin??? Probably not......I am sure this was input from FORD........but sheesh.......it is CHINCY inside this thing!! Seventh, TURBO LAG.........BIG TIME. Honestly, it kind of reminded me of a old Pontiac Sunbird convertible I drove back in the late 80's or early 90's...........you have to "spool up the turbo" at let out the brake.
I could go on and on, but I won't bury this thing any more.........you get what you pay for, but for $31,000 we decided to look elsewhere. However, the salesperson at our Mazda dealer offered to discount the vehicle about $4,000 due to slow sales. Still after the discount we were given, we passed because we thought after 6 months of ownership we would have a severe case of buyer's remorse.........that is NOT WORTH the gamble. This vehicle is a good alternative to the bland CR-V or Hyundai Tucson, but not quite up to Acura's RDX standards of refinement.......agian, you get (or don't get) what you pay for.

vegasrph said:
My wife and I recently drove a Mazda CX-7 Grand Touring w/NAV, MSRP was roughly $31,000 and after the test drive we scratched our heads. First of all, in a 2007 vehicle so "cutting edge" like the CX-7......where is the ipod jack? Or any type of MP3 (AUX) jack?? No where to be found. Second, this vehicle requires premium fuel (and drinks it happily) that is to be understood with the turbo engine, ok Mazda........zoom-zoom over efficiency. Third, what's up with the $5.00 steering wheel from a 1980 Camaro?? I mean come on, in a $30,000+ vehicle it is a joke. Fourth, the seats are NOT comfortable, nor do they hold you in place in sporty driving.......you sit ON them, rather than IN them. Fifth, the "GT stripe" on the Grand Touring is awful, again this belongs in a Mazda 3 or Mazda 6 interior.......not in this vehicle. Sixth, COULD MAZDA PICK WORSE/CHEAPER/HARDER PLASTIC to use inside the cabin??? Probably not......I am sure this was input from FORD........but sheesh.......it is CHINCY inside this thing!! Seventh, TURBO LAG.........BIG TIME. Honestly, it kind of reminded me of a old Pontiac Sunbird convertible I drove back in the late 80's or early 90's...........you have to "spool up the turbo" at let out the brake.
I could go on and on, but I won't bury this thing any more.........you get what you pay for, but for $31,000 we decided to look elsewhere. However, the salesperson at our Mazda dealer offered to discount the vehicle about $4,000 due to slow sales. Still after the discount we were given, we passed because we thought after 6 months of ownership we would have a severe case of buyer's remorse.........that is NOT WORTH the gamble. This vehicle is a good alternative to the bland CR-V or Hyundai Tucson, but not quite up to Acura's RDX standards of refinement.......agian, you get (or don't get) what you pay for.

Ok, your opinion this is a Cx-7 forumn so we LIKE our purchase. Come back and let us know what you found for the Price and performance. F*** this Ipod, Mp3 crap discussions worn out topic. if you want all the gadgets and refinement look at the CX9. Hell I like to see your impression on the sti and Evo $30,000 and up and nothing inside all motor. and I can go on forever.

2007 RDX Starts at $32,995
2007 RDX with Technology Package Starts at $36,495

CX-7 $24,345 and up. BIG DIFFERENCE in pricing-- I rather mod the CX-7 as its more tunable for many reasons, than that overpriced overhyped fricken honda product.(bump)

Last edited:
Sorry, didn't mean to offend........but my 2 cents were posted right after a test drive, while everything was fresh in my mind. Sorry, sheesh. Anyway, there isn't much you can get (SUV-wise) for $30,000.......but IF YOU CAN LIVE WITH ALL THE FAULTS........so be it. My wife and I couldn't. No big deal........enjoy your CX-7!! By the way, funny as it is........I own a 2006 Subaru STi and I LOVE IT. It can outrun almost anything on the street and has AWD standard and it only cost $33,000 ($36,000 MSRP) to buy it. However, we are NOT comparing APPLES to APPLES now........the EVO and STi were built for racing/extreme driving........not to haul groceries and take trips in, BUT it can be done........just not a "touring" auto.

Yes, I bought a new 95 3000GT VR-4 tell me about it back in the day collecting dust in the garage. Family pushed her aside. The CX-7 is very tunable its also considered a CUV not SUV. Whats your thoughts on the Mazda speed 3 and 6. Evo and Sti are built for Rally not Drag racing there Drivelines will fall apart over time on asphalt launches like that.

Last edited:
That's a real shame.......those cars were really HOT!! I mean brand new those were like $40,000 MSRP or so, right?? Fast and handled, but in the long run people weren't into paying that much for that car.........but put it in the paper and it will sell.

vegasrph said:
That's a real shame.......those cars were really HOT!! I mean brand new those were like $40,000 MSRP or so, right?? Fast and handled, but in the long run people weren't into paying that much for that car.........but put it in the paper and it will sell.

I will leave it around a few more summers it's the pearl white with the charcoal leather paid about $40 she still can kick some ass on the streets. Not many around anymore or the ones I see are in terrible shape. My friend has a Vr-4 spyder.

Side note: the guys on this Cx-7 board are really helpful the Cx-7 overall is a new product some of us happened to get the first batch maybe a few things were missed. But I can assure you Mazda will fix these concerns, on MazdaUSA you can contact them and they immediately reply. I bet in 2008 this model some of your concerns will be address. Till then lets all take this product day by day. Also the turbo lag is gone with the Reflash the TSB just came out the end of December with it that lag is Gone. Let's all be civil and patient. Good Day !

Last edited:
MITZA said:
The auto lock I know is a GM thing and aftermarket alarms do have the feature. Don't trade it off just yet, the Cx-7 has been out such a short time I have found so much cool stuff on this board and its only going to grow as the years go on. I'm coming from a Mitsubishi background like 20 cars this mazda impresses me so much and there new product line maybe I don't recognize what I was missing all the previous years with other makes. I plan to buy a speed 6 and maybe a cx9 within the next few years to replace my other existing cars. Thank You Mazda North America :)

A lot of cars have autolock these days, but it doesn't bother much

UpNorth said:

Some of us do both (listen to music and talk to passenger/s). We are a MUSIC family. My daughter does drama and singing (lots of broadway) and is a teenager (angst-filled rock) and hubby is a music producer/recording engineer/vp of sales for a CD manufacturer. We don't go through a day without at least SOME music... hearing it and often talking about it.

I guess you can't come into a CX-7 forum and trash the entire vehicle without getting a strong response. Plus, I think the post was geared towards folks who actually have purchased the vehicle not just a test drive.

It regards to gripes, probably the biggest is minor issue of lack of ambient temp gauge on the sport model and the plastic steering wheel. You figure the base s Mazda 3 hatch has a leather steering wheel standard they could at least provide that for use. Probably in about 2 years they will offer a package like the sport value package on the mazda6 with leather steering wheel and shift knob and power driver's seat.

Maybe the gas mileage, however my last vehicle was a 06 Tacoma and it got 17mpg. The 05 RX330 got about 19-20mpg. My 06 STI got about 21mpg and the CX-7 is hovering around 18.5-19 these days. I only have 700 miles on the odometer though and usually by the first oil change interval (5000 miles) the fuel economy will rise slightly and then stay pretty much the same at that point. My Mazda 3s hatch 5spd manual got 28 mpg! Pretty awesome considering the lead foot I have.

The autolock thing does not worry me. Just one more thing to push before you start moving, just like putting on the seatbelt or unlocking the doors before you get in. Not a big issue.

The Ipod thing is a minor inconvenience also, so many options for playing an ipod in your car out there.

Turbo lag? Not that bad. Obviously, some folks have not driven a STI or Evo 9 long enough. I owned a 06 STI and below 3500 rpm pretty much dead. I think what hampers our CX-7 in this respect is the fact that the turbo engine is mated to an automatic which always kills the performance of a turbo engine. The difference for our vehicles is the fact that off the line it maybe slow, however if you are on the highway, it feels the happiest cruising around 85 and above. I think my next purchase is going to be a Valentine one .

I also had a 05 RX330 and it had all the foo foo luxury crap in it compared to my sport cx-7 however at half the price of a RX330, I don't miss any of the leather, fake wood or the L emblem.

This is my 3rd Mazda in 2 years and the reliability is excellent. I am really impressed with the CX-7 because for a first production year vehicle very few TSB's.

My IS300 and RX330 had no less than 3 TSB's I had to take it back to the dealer for along with 2 recalls and these were both 3rd production year vehicles

No car is perfect but I feel that CX-7 has lived up to it's billing thus far.

Back