what amp for side speakers??

i'm looking for an amp to run my side speakers?? my budget is no more than $150 including shipping.... these are my current speakers i'm not sure if the kappa still work as they got a little wet but if they dont i plan to get another pair of kappa's and also some infinity tweeters to put in the back. also i'm a little confused with the ohm, does it matter that one pair is 2ohm and the other pair is 4ohm, does it have an effect on the amp???

<DT>infinity 6012i Reference Series <DT class=even>Speaker Type 2-way - Passive <DT>Speaker Diameter 6.5" <DT class=even>Nominal (RMS) Output Power 60 Watt Max (RMS) <DT class=even>Output Power 180 Watt <DT class=even>Response Bandwidth 53 - 21000 Hz <DT>Input Impedance 4 Ohm <DT class=even>Sensitivity 92 dB </DT>

<DT><DT><DT><DT>infinity kappa 682.7cf<DT>Speaker Size 5" x 7" / 6" x 8"
Design 2-Way
Tweeter Design N/A
Tweeter Composition N/A
Woofer Composition N/A
Woofer Surround N/A
Sensitivity 94 dB
Frequency Response 40 - 25 k Hz
RMS Power Handling 100 watts
Peak Power Handling 300 watts
Impedance 2 ohms
Top Mount Depth 2-1/4":

</DT>

Last edited:
This little guy should do the trick:
http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Product/Item/Main.aspx?g=120&i=020APX2180&tp=115

If the only thing that got on the speakers is a little water, then they should be fine.

What exactly is a side speaker?

The Kappas 2 ohm rating is a bit fictitious so don't worry about it.

Also, DO NOT put dedicated tweeters in the back of your car. Thats a sure fire way to make any system sound terrible unless you are getting really tricky with them and using them to fake the width of your sound stage which takes processors up the yin-yang to accomplish.

Last edited:
Bass cancelation box?
You mean crossover?
That connects to both the tweeters and the mid of the speaker and yes you need it.

ok so the crossover box actually got wet too, last time i tried them i got no sound from them. any after market piece i could buy to replace??? also have another question i was planning to buy another pair of infinity tweeters to put in the stock location of the p5, do i connect the tweeters to the front speaker wire??

You can likely buy a replacement crossover from infinity or find someone on ebay selling a blown pair for next to nothing.

Dont hook up another set of tweeters. Just leave the stockers disconnected or get components and put the tweeter up there.
Another set of tweeters will sound like ass.

The crossover really cant be harmed from water unless you let them rust out from it.

i appreciate the help 1sty. i'm ordering the amp next week. one thing i am worried about though is blowing a channel. the last two amps i had blew the channel for the front speakers which i had the same kappas but i also had the tweeters connected to it as well. would have both the tweeters and speakers on the same channel cause it to blow?? the blown channel did happen when my speakers got a little wet due to improper wiring on my behalf from being lazy. i rethrew my speakers wires so nothing should be wrong this time but is there anyway to test the wires before i connect the amp as to not kill another amp?? also if i do wanna get tweeters later on in the future would i connect them to the headunit??

Well an amp channel is for one speaker, and only one speaker. Any good amplifier should have no problem being connected 1 to 1 with the kappa speakers. A problematic crossover may have caused the problem. I certainly would not hook it back up as it was for the 3rd time and expect a different result.

A seperate set of tweeters is a really bad idea unless you have even more crossovers and dedicated amplifier channels. Adding tweeters to a set of speakers will not solve anything, it will only create more problems.
In competition cars, they tend to run something called an ambient tweeter. These are very maticulously. placed and configured. They most often have a completely seperate amplifier to power them, have at least $600 in processors behind them and believe it or not, they play almost nothing audible.

To test a speaker for proper connectivity you need a multi-meter. You use the multimeter to verify the speakers resistance to be sure nothing is shorted. You should measure between 2 and 4 ohms per speaker set through the crossover. You should also not detect continuity to ground.

If you must wire in extra tweeters, other then those that came with your speakers, then get a set specificly for such an application meaning they will come with their own crossover and then you can use the head units power or another amplifier.

did you mean that i could connect the kappas without the crossover that they came with if i had a good amp like the one you recommended?? also the resistance test would i do that with everything connected amp and speakers or would the be speakers connected and test the amp side of the wire?? i dont know how to use a multimeter my dad does i just wanna know how to explain it to him.

Last edited:
Back