What 3" exhausts are available?

Enthused

Im looking to see what 3" dp/catbacks are available. Price and materials (stainless/alluminum) would be much appreciated.

Apex: approx $750
iON s/s: approx $1000
Essential Speed s/s: approx $900
Vibrant s/s: approx $950
Thermal: cat back: approx $600
Greddy SP2: cat back: approx $600 ??

MS MSP said:
Apex: approx $750
iON s/s: approx $1000
Essential Speed s/s: approx $900
Vibrant s/s: approx $950

These are all turboback exhausts? Downpipe and Catbacks in 3"? Last questions do these systems include catalytic convertors and/or tips?

The "SEARCH" feature provided by this board will fulfill your thirst for knowledge! LOL

Last edited:
Enthused said:
These are all turboback exhausts? Downpipe and Catbacks in 3"? Last questions do these systems include catalytic convertors and/or tips?

Those systems are not true turbo back. Those are the DP back systems that are available.

If you want a full turbo back, it's about 1300 for iON, or you could go custom.

Street Unit's turboback is in development. Here's the thread with info:
http://www.msprotege.com/forum/showthread.php?t=70537

To summarize:
Full Stainless Steel Turboback Exhaust System:
2.5" downpipe to 3" midpipe all the way back to the HKS C-Ti muffler
No catalytic converters or resonator

02 Bung
Vband clamps, no flanges, no flex pipe, see pic below for example...
http://www.turbohoses.com/Stage10-Completed.jpg

High estimated price is $1,300. Free shipping to the continental US as always.

The pic is of an mr-2 exhaust they made, so the MSP one will be the same high quality.

~brian

505zoom said:
Those systems are not true turbo back. Those are the DP back systems that are available.

If you want a full turbo back, it's about 1300 for iON, or you could go custom.

So those $750 dont include a DP? I want to make sure our definitions are the same, when I say turbo back, I mean downpipe off the turbo, cat or race pipe, catback, and then tips.

After our turbo is a pipe called the "s-pipe", which right now only iON makes a larger version of. Street Unit is developing one, and numerous other companies have promised them but haven't delivered anything. The Street Unit one is coming though, so that's what I'm waiting for. The greddy sp-2 is just a 2.39" catback. The corksport for $389, is a downpipe back exhaust I'm pretty sure, and is 2.39". By downpipe back I mean not including the s-pipe. The thermal r&d exhaust is a 3" catback. Apex makes 2.5" catted/noncatted and 3" noncatted downpipes (not s-pipes, the pipe after it), and 2.5" and 3" catbacks. The problem with the apex catbacks is that they go under the rear axle, so ground clearance is an issue on lowered cars. Essential Speed's is supposedly a turbo back, but if you send them money chances are you won't see anything back, so I'd advise against them. So the 2 options at the moment are iON and soon to be street unit's. Good luck.

~brian

Enthused said:
So those $750 dont include a DP? I want to make sure our definitions are the same, when I say turbo back, I mean downpipe off the turbo, cat or race pipe, catback, and then tips.

Like Brian mentioned, there is an extra pipe on our stock setup that most turbo cars do not have. It starts with the s-pipe that is bolted to the turbine outlet... then there is a seperate J shaped pipe that is known here as the downpipe. The rest of the system is normal.

You only really have 3 choices if you want to get rid of every piece of the stock exhaust... Custom, Street-Unit (if you want to wait), or iON (if you want a possible wait and have $$$$). The iON exhaust is a true piece of work though, the s-pipe and j-pipe are molded together and can be ceramic coated. The turbine outlet and wastegate are seperated for a few inches before going into a 3" collector.

Here are some of the better pics:

pg7.jpg

pg9.jpg

It's such a simple-looking piece that I can't believe other's haven't already released a true 3" DP. I can't wait for ********** to bring their's out. I'm getting very impatient, though. Sometimes I think that I could take welding lessons at my local community college, mine the materials, and build my own before someone comes out with one that I can afford.

Spooled said:
It's such a simple-looking piece that I can't believe other's haven't already released a true 3" DP. I can't wait for ********** to bring their's out. I'm getting very impatient, though. Sometimes I think that I could take welding lessons at my local community college, mine the materials, and build my own before someone comes out with one that I can afford.
It sure seems that way doesn't it? Whaddya say we go chisel iron ore out of some rocks and go to town...

Nice, thanks for all the info. Are the catbacks similar across the protege line?
Also how many Mazdaspeed protege's were made?

Also do you guys like flanged exhausts? I really prefer the ease of installation a slip joint provides. Also slips are a lot less likely to leak especially when mated to aircraft clamps.

Enthused - slip joints do not provide the total seal nor does it provide rigity/support to an exhaust system. It's the "easy-way out" when it comes to making exhausts. We use 3/8-1/2" thick stainless flanges which are not as easy to warp as other flanges. When coupled with either the correct exhaust gasket or the use of hi-temp silicone like permatex they provide a positive seal.

Back