well hello there...

Welcome to the forum. The Proteges are very reliable cars. Most Mazda vehicles are. Even my 31 year old RX7.

That's the one I have, its a 3/8 drive but tiny...I think it has to do with the motor mount being shot and the engine must have dropped down to where the egr sits too close to the mount. I wonder if jacking up the engine would give clearance enough? I'm replacing 3 of the motor mounts, not sure I want to tackle that rear mount though...looks like a pain

Here, let me post this again. This is only way I found without taking apart a bunch of other stuff.................

Monkey hands and a 1/4 drive ratchet and some imagination to see what you are blindly doing in your head to remove egr. To replace you have to get one bolt in and swing the metal gasket and egr around to get 2nd bolt back in....again using imagination skills to blindly get bolt back in place.

Here, let me post this again. This is only way I found without taking apart a bunch of other stuff.................

Monkey hands and a 1/4 drive ratchet and some imagination to see what you are blindly doing in your head to remove egr. To replace you have to get one bolt in and swing the metal gasket and egr around to get 2nd bolt back in....again using imagination skills to blindly get bolt back in place.

1/4 stubby ratchet will be the next purchase, I can definitely feel both bolts with my hands and can place the socket on them individually. Problem is the clearance to the rear motor mount, I just ordered a timing belt kit, complete set of motor mounts along with some other crap so I will be at it for a while in the next few weeks. Thanks for the tips, I'll probably take out the EGR once I do the rear motor mount, can't get any clearer access than that.

I'll take tight access EGR removal over messin with rr motor mount any day............

I'll take tight access EGR removal over messin with rr motor mount any day............

Not looking forward to it based on what I've read, but I enjoy messing with cars even though I'm cursing them out half the time. The kit I purchased came with all four though, so I might as well take the time and do it.

Not looking forward to it based on what I've read,...

There was a guy on this forum that had no rear mount at all (Whatusername ...from Florida too) .

He broke a bolt off and ran his turbo charged P5 with no rear mount or problems.

Installing a new rear mount is a PITA.

I'm just gonna do this... (without removing it)

Hmmm good idea actually gonna try this...rtv sealant?

Or you could go with window weld,.. it's urethane, more durable and stiffer,...

(You can go to a auto glass place and buy a tube for $10- $20,.. get a good caulking gun,.. the stuff is really thick.)

The stuff will run you almost 30 bucks from Autozone or Oreilly's. Plan ahead and get it from a body shop or Ebay.

I got some Transtar urethane for 12.99 from Oreilly's that I used for my passengers side mount. Gonna put it in now and see how it works.

Question guys, replaced the fuel filter tonight and the plug for the fuel float (not sure the technical name) barely squeezed into the plug on the bottom of the whole unit. Started my car and now my gas light is on and it shows zero fuel on my dash. Any ideas how I can fix this? Honestly its so tight in there I doubt the metal prongs made its way into the plug. The new fuel filter came with a new plug for the pump but not the float.

The stuff will run you almost 30 bucks from Autozone or Oreilly's. Plan ahead and get it from a body shop or Ebay.

I got some Transtar urethane for 12.99 from Oreilly's that I used for my passengers side mount. Gonna put it in now and see how it works.

Good tips, if the old ones are shot and missing half way how are you going to position the engine while filling it in?

The reason I ask is because my engine is low in the rear motor mount and filling it in would just keep it low (incorrect position). If you saw above I can not even get a socket around my egr valve because it hits the rear mount.

Good tips, if the old ones are shot and missing half way how are you going to position the engine while filling it in?

The reason I ask is because my engine is low in the rear motor mount and filling it in would just keep it low (incorrect position). If you saw above I can not even get a socket around my egr valve because it hits the rear mount.

You'll want to get the mount as clean as possible. In order to fill it on the car, you'll need to not drive it for 3 or 4 days. The urethane takes a long time to cure, especially when layered thick in a motor mount. You'll have to lift the engine with a jack and set it on something if you want to fill the underside of the mount.

When I pulled my engine out, it seemed like the passenger and drivers side mounts held the majority of the weight, the passengers side mount especially. Check those.

. The urethane takes a long time to cure, especially when layered thick in a motor mount.

It may take a long time to cure but you've only got about ten minutes before it starts to harden.

I had a tube harden up while I was dispensing it.

Don't for get to get a GOOD caulking gun... It's as thick as tar.

Back