well hello there...

usmcluberti

:
2002 protege5
Checking in...recently sold my 03 tiburon gt 6 speed and purchased an 02 protege5 5 speed. It's just my work car so I figured the tiburon wasn't as practical (many mods) and the mazda only has 116k miles compared to the 184k on the tibby.

I have been lurking and utilizing some knowledge here already and was wondering what else should be done.

I never trust a seller so here is a list of what is/will be done in the next week or so:

new headlight assembly on both sides - at least they match now
replaced fog lights
replaced passenger side view morror
oil change
plugs/wires/coils
pcv valve
air filter
fuel filter
front/rear brakes (needed - I read all about the rear brakes and piston compression, glad I checked)
new tires (again, needed)
plastidip stock rims after new tires are put on
new radio - completely empty double din (notcool)
clean the MAF sensor
clean throttle body
attempted to clean the egr valve but no luck fitting any of my socket wrenches so far on the 12mm bolts - advice?

my goal is to have a reliable, decent looking work vehicle that will last me a while and get decent mpg's. I do all the work myself as most of us do, so I have found this forum very helpful as I've never worked on this vehicle (or a mazda) before.

Thanks!

Monkey hands and a 1/4 drive ratchet and some imagination to see what you are blindly doing in your head to remove egr. To replace you have to get one bolt in and swing the metal gasket and egr around to get 2nd bolt back in....again using imagination skills to blindly get bolt back in place.

And I probably has my double din single CD oem deck in a box somewhere because I swapped it for the 6 disc oem, also have the sylfex auxmod board that plugs into tape port on bottom of it to have 3.5mm aux input for mp3 playas and fon and stuff.

Last edited:
Good tips thanks, doesn't sound fun at all. Installed my new radio last night, next on the list now is new speakers. These things are shot.

Monkey hands and a 1/4 drive ratchet and some imagination to see what you are blindly doing in your head to remove egr. To replace you have to get one bolt in and swing the metal gasket and egr around to get 2nd bolt back in....again using imagination skills to blindly get bolt back in place.

^^ This,..

One guy mentioned to put the car in gear, push the car (backwards I believe) then block the wheels. That kinda rolls the engine in the engine bay a bit then holds it there.

Every mm counts.

If you don't want to have to clean it every year then just install our special Canadian model and it will never be a problem again,...

getimage_zps54522323.jpg

Last edited:
I like how that kit comes with TB gasket to minimize monkey hand blind install by removing whole TB then swapping EGRs................the $150-200 price on it is what has kept me just cleaning mine...that and having an extra brand new one off a recall IM I have.

I just checked RockAuto,.. The price has gone way up $320 now !! (Canadian $),... It used to be $120.

P.S. If anyone wants to order this part, it is only listed for the 2.0 L Protege (not the P5)

They are kinda difficult to install too....

EGR_zpss6liuhgu.jpg

Last edited:
Well I'm going to attempt this again this weekend, just have to pick up a socket set that'll work...I have a very very cheap set that actually fit and I got all excited just to have the socket mushroom and crack haha.

Debating attempting the timing belt myself as well, been reading up and watching some YouTube videos for guidance. Looks simple enough, less than what I anticipated actually.

actually it was not too hard to install.

but anyhow, look like is time to check all belt and hoses. timing belt and water pump should also be check

Yes when I buy the kit I'm going to get the pump, idlers, etc...

Tried the egr again tonight, can't get a ratchet on either bolt, hitting the rear motor mount??? I even purchased the tool listed on a YouTube video which the guy said he used. I'm stumped...

After further review...these motor mounts are fried. The vibration isnt even that bad either? One thing after another ha

With sloppy motor mounts, you should be able to " roll/pry/prop" the engine out of the way a bit to give you more room.

With sloppy motor mounts, you should be able to " roll/pry/prop" the engine out of the way a bit to give you more room.

Will try this weekend when I have some daylight to work in...this led head mount is nice, but yeah...

That's the one I have, its a 3/8 drive but tiny...I think it has to do with the motor mount being shot and the engine must have dropped down to where the egr sits too close to the mount. I wonder if jacking up the engine would give clearance enough? I'm replacing 3 of the motor mounts, not sure I want to tackle that rear mount though...looks like a pain

http://www.craftsman.com/craftsman-...p-00944815000P?prdNo=3&blockNo=3&blockType=G3

^ i used something like that.

protege tend to have broken motor mount, all the stuff you did is the same thing i did when i got mine used with 120k, now i got 240k been problem free.

my engine mount were fried too. timing belt, canadian EGR.... etc. all the little thing, after all that the protege is a very reliable car

Seems like it from the research I did...found it to be the best looking reliable vehicle in my price range.

Did you do the rear mount as well?

Back