well, finally got new pics of the system up

97proLX

:
1997 mazda protege LX
heres some pics of my setup,4 12 inch rockford fosgate HE2 DVC, rockford fosgate 1000a2 amp,JVC KD-LHX500 touchscreen cd player.now im trying to figure out what i want, the box to be fiberglassed and painted or carpeted. and in the making, some components for the doors in custom fiberglass enclosures for the 8 inch midbass drivers in the doors.
448160_49_full.jpg

448160_50_full.jpg

448160_51_full.jpg

Carpet that, whats the point of the other speakers if you cant see them? I assume this is for show?

its for sound, i compete in the summer.
im throwing about 1600 watts at the subs right now, with the gain 1/8 the way up

Is your alternator and/or battery upgraded? I'm thinking of putting in some subs. Worried if the stock electrical system will handle it.

You know what you need? Take out the back seat and make a box that goes from your trunk to the back of the rear seats and install a Stroker.

(thought)

Dim said:
Is your alternator and/or battery upgraded? I'm thinking of putting in some subs. Worried if the stock electrical system will handle it.
nope, i cant seem to find a highoutput alternator for my car....and the battery is just an exide....when i do a sine sweep to test the subs the voltage goes down to about 12.8-13.2 then back up to 15.00 volts...

97proLX said:
its for sound, i compete in the summer.
im throwing about 1600 watts at the subs right now, with the gain 1/8 the way up

if you are competing, just use one or 2 of the subs and port it. and the where the gains are means nothing, it's a combination of the input voltage from the RCA's plus the level of the gains that determines the output voltage to the subs.

To add to wakes comments about 2 subs, and wake please correct me if I am wrong, but I would think you are getting alot of cancelation for the 2 pairs of subs being on different plans. So when the air meets up at the mics, it at totoly different point of each subs cycle. 2 Subs ported should net you around a 3-5 db increase over what you have now and allow you to compete in a lower class.

1sty said:
To add to wakes comments about 2 subs, and wake please correct me if I am wrong, but I would think you are getting alot of cancelation for the 2 pairs of subs being on different plans. So when the air meets up at the mics, it at totoly different point of each subs cycle. 2 Subs ported should net you around a 3-5 db increase over what you have now and allow you to compete in a lower class.

what i was thinking... when the trunk is closed all thats gonna do is rattle the trunk. Depends on the comp though, With 1600watts... if thats what hes pushing id just bought one brahma and compete in an even lower class with a ported box.

I think that going to do the same as the truck i saw with 20 plus JL 10s... it made 154db because the set up sucked.

SenorCorwin said:
I think that going to do the same as the truck i saw with 20 plus JL 10s... it made 154db because the set up sucked.

Yep.
Its like the guy around here that calls his truck shaker, that thing was stuck in the low 160's for ever with 18 15" subs and a BAJESUS of power. He was able to crush that setup with 4 15's and 1/10th the power and now posts near 170 or over every time.

this was just one of the test boxes,today im going to be reversing the rear box and reverse the polarity to see where it brings me....i have a few other boxes lined up to test....including one for only 3 subs which fits perfect in the trunk
and the gain is so far low because i still have to set it with a meter....

i hate rain. . its been raingin in gainesville for the last 3 days. . so no oging to homedepot and buying mdf cause it'll just get wet. . .but i wanna start builing my box for my 5 8's

1sty said:

yep, there could easily be a reasonable drop in SPL at the mic due to the differen planes. since most of the sound from a ported enclosure comes from the port, it's most important to properly aim that for SPL purposes. subs facing up and ports to the back work quite well. look at the CRX boxes that do so well. a pair of 12's facing up with ports to the rear.

traitorhound said:
so subs don't have to be on the same plane as the port?

depending on tuning freq and vehicle, nope. but there can be issues with having them on dramatically different planes a little above the tuned freq. like having the subs facing forward with the port to the rear can cause serious issues. 90 degrees different is the most i'd go with.

spl tested it at a place around my house and it hit 153.7 DB and they said there didnt seem to be too much cancelation. :shrug: it did better then i thought but now im already trying to think of a way to get it better lol.that was with the amp in stereo mode, tonight ill try bridged.

Back