Weak Battery?

:
2003.5 Mazdaspeed Protege
Do Mazdas have notoriously weak batteries or alternators? My car is having the hardest time starting now. And, it's not even considered cold here yet. The overnight temps are about -5C to -15C. My old Eagle Summit would start without plugging it in up to -30C!

I don't think it's Mazdas over all, but yes the Protege was given a pathetic little Panasonic battery. I've currently got three MSPs at my house and not a one of them is running on its original battery. I also think our alarms might suck an excessive amount of juice. One of the MSPs has even sucked an Optima Red Top dry just while sitting there with its alarm on.

Hahaha! I just saw both of your locations, HI and TX. The car starts normally in the spring/summer/fall, but when winter comes, it seems to struggle to turn the car over.

i am ready for a new battery....we had a couple cold long winters and going on a milder winter this year. i drainned my battery a couple times when i had my car starter installed from leaving my lights on during the day when turning it off (5 speed). i believe i am going to get an optima this time.....

what about the alternator, it seems while running normally I get alot of wierd fade in/outs on my dash lights and dome lights. Is this typical or is my getting querky?

No, that's not typical. However, I have noticed that my headlights dim slightly to the beat of my sub, so the whole electrical system is sub-par.

My turbo timer shuts off when I put my windows up. My lights dim, my car struggles to start in the cold.

To test if it's the alternator, I tried revving the gas to 2500 rpm and putting the windows up but the turbo timer still shurs off until I let go of the window controls. I doubt it is the alternator. I am reluctant to go buy a new battery but I think it will be the first step towards a solution.

The only other thing I have plugged in besides the TT is a radar detector. If I get gauges and other electrical goodies, I'm afraid I won't be able to do anything.

if i remember correctly our stock batterys are only like 325 cold cranking amps and thats pathetic. my civic had a 525 amp in it stock and the battery was like half the size. if i can find another job that wont **** me over like mine did on thursday (cut my pay from $14+ a hour to $6.50) then im gonna get something else, atleast 700 amp because of my system but right now im more concerned with being able to pay rent...

mspdfreak said:
No, that's not typical. However, I have noticed that my headlights dim slightly to the beat of my sub, so the whole electrical system is sub-par.
Your lights dim, because you need a Capacitor.
It's not the electrical system. Amp's draw big loads. (I said load)(cool)

bump

I want to buy a new battery. Searches have suggested that Optima red/yellow tops are good but don't know which model is good for the MSP.

I NEED my turbo timer to work properly when I'm putting the windows up. Help me out people.

I have always been happy with Die hard...I normally put an SUV deep Cycle in....Die hards have a better warranty then Optima's.

eting_pro5 said:
Is it hard on the car when the battery/cold combo causes a rough start?

I can't imagine that it's good. My car struggles any time it's below 30 degrees F.

Back