We Got Our Recall !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

pasadena_commut said:
For that matter it would be nice to be able to verify that all the cars whose owners have previously posted here, having lost a VICS screw, have been included in the recall. I too would like to see the VIN range.

Mazdausa.com did not indicate a recall on my 2003 P5. Maxek does that web site show a recall on your car, or did you receive this letter in the mail?

Anyone else notice how much that letter reeked of lawyer? It justifies the recall entirely in terms of emissions being out of whack and says nothing at all about motors which have been thrashed by eating a screw. In particular, under the "what will Mazda do" it does NOT say that they will fix anything other than the intake manifold, even if your valves are broken to bits because they chewed on a screw. Selling a car that violates the emissions standards is a bigger faux pas than selling one that blows up motors.

All recall notices are worded just like that. You will never see one that will state exactly what could happen. They are all based on emissions.
We (as a dealership) still have not recieved any information on the recall or vehicles involved yet.

BlkZoomZoom said:
All recall notices are worded just like that. You will never see one that will state exactly what could happen. They are all based on emissions.

So if it's one of those recalls for a condition where the gas tank explodes and the car burns to a crisp the stated reason for the recall will be: "may result in an episode of excessive emissions"?

I added more pages of the letter.
Check your VIN numbers.
Also it is possible to get money back for the work done and paid for.

now here is something interesting...i got my p5 in may of 2003 and well it has a build date of 11/02 i just checked but its a 2003.5 model without the roof rack and with the subwoofer in the trunk...does anyone else find this interesting or just me?

pro5maniac said:
now here is something interesting...i got my p5 in may of 2003 and well it has a build date of 11/02 i just checked but its a 2003.5 model without the roof rack and with the subwoofer in the trunk...does anyone else find this interesting or just me?

well mine has a build date of 12/02 but was purchased in april 2003 .. but I get similar issue ... I'll have to call my dealer tomorow

doesnt include me. i just hope this problem is limited like they say and doesnt happen to me before they realize it should include all cars. knock on wood....knock knock.

That is what I am worried about because if my car comes out of warranty and this problem occur I will be pissed because I would have to fight it cuz Mazda says it is limited to certain cars produced. I think all 03 models may be suspectible to this issue really.

Got my letter today. Mine is a 2003.5 model.

So this is the screw eating, machine gun sounding, problem people have mentioned? If so, yippy for me that I get it checked out for free BEFORE it happens.

Are there any other TSB's that I should have them look into for the 2003.5 model while I'm there?

I just bought my 2003.5 on Friday (12/16), registered on MazdaUSA.com this weekend, and it's showing "2003 Protege Intake Manifold Shutter Valve Emission Recall" when I login. Do you think I'll receive a letter, or should I just take that printout to a dealer?

I'm not having any problems, but I'm kind of glad mine is in the list so I can get it checked out for free.

Well I had a rod knock in my original motor and am now running a 2002 FSDE. I guess I could just take in my manifold and have the dealer check it out. Its sitting on an engine stand in the garage :D

I just checked on my car and...

Mazda USA said:
Keep your Mazda in great shape with regular maintenance and enjoy your drive for years to come.

Recall Warning

There are no Recalls for your specified vehicle.

EDIT:

<DIR>If I got the recall would I take my 2003 car in with the 2002 motor or haul the 2003 motor in the back of my truck???

</DIR>

Last edited:
Back