Water spots on the backup camera lens

isketerol

Contributor
:
Mazda CX-5 GS 2018 AWD
I was out driving on Saturday in the rain. Here in Toronto (Ontario) we use a lot of salt on the roads, so there's a residue when the water splashes up onto the car. I found I had waterspots on the backup camera lens that obscured the view a bit. I have used my general purpose wipe-up cloth that I have in the back of the car to clean it up.

Is this a common problem?

IskiE

You're more high tech than me...I use my thumb. Yes, common when the roads are wet.

Since the CX-5 does not have a retractable rear camera it is pretty common to get water and dirt on the lens when it's raining or snowing. I find a bit of water repellant like rain-x or Trico view to be helpful in keeping it a little slicker and cleaner. I still have to use my finger or thumb to clean it off between washes.

use water repellent (ones meant for mirrors work best)... works ok
if you want to spend more money, you can import the JDM accessory which does 3 puffs of air to blow off water and dust from the camera... the nozzle sticks on the camera, wrapped around it... clean install and not noticeable, but you still need to take apart the tail gate and connect wires to the reverse light wires, which is a pain... I'm thinking hard about this though

Since the CX-5 does not have a retractable rear camera it is pretty common to get water and dirt on the lens

And thank god it doesn't. All the features you guys want to add are going to make this a $54,000 car in no time! lolol
Retractable? Who has that? Sounds like just a silly thing to me that could break easily. Not to mention is it instant? Will it come on sas fast as my screen does? So many questions. :D

And thank god it doesn't. All the features you guys want to add are going to make this a $54,000 car in no time! lolol

Should we ask for a mini wiper for the rear camera on the 2019 version? LOL

I'm going to remember to giving a wipe with my cleaning rag when it rains in the meantime. :)

IskiE

Should we ask for a mini wiper for the rear camera on the 2019 version? LOL

I'm going to remember to giving a wipe with my cleaning rag when it rains in the meantime. :)

IskiE

They've made them in the past for headlights, why not for rear vision cameras (wink)

Retractable? Who has that? Sounds like just a silly thing to me that could break easily. Not to mention is it instant? Will it come on sas fast as my screen does? So many questions. :D

My wife's GLE350 has one and it is very nice, always clean, and very fast, I never have to wait for the camera or the screen when backing up. They are more common then you think

My wife's GLE350 has one and it is very nice, always clean, and very fast, I never have to wait for the camera or the screen when backing up. They are more common then you think

Money talks. Mercedes has got to offer something more than Mazda for that extra $20K!!! (spin)

Rectractable cameras are not common place.

Not really worth the trouble of getting that part just for some droplets of rain

I've seen Japanese blogs talking about it and also videos of it... it's handy if you live in a wet climate or snowy climate
I've also seen a few MX-5 owners in the US on another forum have it... everyone had good things to say about it, but it's not too easy to get... japanparts.com is a popular place to get this stuff

That's a matter of perspective... for a small part like this, it'll probably be $30 US, at most for express shipping from Japan

Unlike Auspost and USPS, postage rates in Japan are much cheaper... for example, I ordered a JDM hood liner from japanparts.com last year... it was only $60 US to ship that large flat piece... nearly the amount of the part itself was worth, but only because it was so big... if it was sent by USPS, Auspost, Deutche Post, Royal Mail, etc, it would be 3x this, at least

Now, what was expensive to ship was the JDM cargo tray/trunk liners... the pieces are large and heavier... covers the trunk floor and seat backs... way better than anything you can get here

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back