Grid lines haywire on B/U camera (2019 CX-5)

Newbie here... my backup camera on my 2019 Grand Touring CX5 has, after three years, ceased to bend the gridlines while the steering wheel is being turned.
I have searched half the day on an internet that has the answer for EVERYTHING... but this problem has apparently never happened to anyone, ever, in all the history of the CX5.

Anybody in my boat? Can you help me beach this boat and climb out?

What do I do to get the grid lines on the camera to bend again? Keep this on the downlow, but... my wife is a really crappy parker, and she is panicked that the bendy lines are not bending anymore.

BigDave, Houston
2019 CX5 Grand Touring

OP,
I am also confused.
My '17 and '22 CX-5 both don't bend gridlines when steering wheel turns...

I see you live in Houston area, but do you happen to own a Canadian model?

Newbie here... my backup camera on my 2019 Grand Touring CX5 has, after three years, ceased to bend the gridlines while the steering wheel is being turned.
I have searched half the day on an internet that has the answer for EVERYTHING... but this problem has apparently never happened to anyone, ever, in all the history of the CX5.

Anybody in my boat? Can you help me beach this boat and climb out?

What do I do to get the grid lines on the camera to bend again? Keep this on the downlow, but... my wife is a really crappy parker, and she is panicked that the bendy lines are not bending anymore.

BigDave, Houston
2019 CX5 Grand Touring
Mazda CX-5 in North American market has never got trajectory backup guidelines in rearview camera and integrated front/rear parking sensors, although they do available in other world markets since Gen-1 CX-5.

Your 2019 CX5 Grand Touring in Houston can not have bendy lines on backup camera screen.

yrwei52,
Look at this video.
Canadian models.
Yeh the description of the video says:

“This video answers a request for a look at the 360 view camera feature found in the Mazda CX-5 as it is a feature not yet found in Canadian spec Mazda's #mazda #992cast #jamesortonyoutube Song by Moore-Gods Plan”

And the CX-5 in video was a 2.2D diesel (you can hear he diesel engine noise). Not sure if Mazda had been selling diesel CX-5 in Canada based on this 2019 Mazda CX-5 sales brochure:

2019 Mazda CX-5 Sales Brochure Canada

No where the brochure mentioned the Canadian 2019 Mazda CX-5 has trajectory backup guidelines in rearview camera and integrated front/rear parking sensors. Not even the 360° view monitor was mentioned for the Signature like in the US.

Or is this diesel CX-5 actually imported by someone into Canada from overseas and it came with the trajectory backup guidelines?

Our USA spec '19 signature diesel has trajectory "bendy" line on the FRONT camera, but not the rear. The rear is straight lines.

Our USA spec '19 signature diesel has trajectory "bendy" line on the FRONT camera, but not the frontrear. The rear is straight lines.
Good to know! But I didn’t know there’s trajectory bendy guideline for the front view. It seems to be a feature in 360° view monitor. Learn something every day.

A easy way to tell if your system has trajectory guideline is if you see both blue (static) and yellow (dynamic) guidelines, you have trajectory guideline.

Last edited:
Here are some posts showing trajectory backup guidelines in rearview camera、integrated front/rear parking sensors、and the 360° view monitor from other regions on CX-5:

The parking sensors show up on the rear camera screen too but no headlight washers and no rear camera washer as you can see!

IMG_2821_zpsssibhuhb.jpg

there is more than that even there is headlight wash splinters and it looks better with them cause under the headlights of cx5 its already looking empty. and the European one has chrome ( or i think brushed aluminium) under the bumper running all around the car and a mid trim has aluminum brushed looking try under the bumper . plus the other mentioned stuff. I believe that the camera guide lines give you more feeling of the space around and without them i used to not look at the camera until i rented another car with guide lines and started to trust and use the camera more. I cant email Mazda north america and tell them " I drove and tested the car in Europe and bought it from US and shipped it cause its not yet in Bahrain".
Untitled_1.jpg

I think only recent Signature trims have it in US.
grant touring doesnt unless somebody retrofitted. I have 2018 GT and was looking how to enable but abandoned the project due to the wiring, new camera and programming needed.
Its a 4pin wiring rear camera vs 3pin.

Its another cost cutting move from Mazda NA:(

I think only recent Signature trims have it in US. grant touring doesnt unless somebody retrofitted.
I still believe Mazda North American Operations doesn’t offer trajectory backup guideline in rearview camera even on the latest top trim Signature, or the CX-5 would have such integrated feature when they started to offer 360° view monitor on Signature since 2019 MY. I was amazed Mazda would spend R&D time to cut this integrated trajectory backup guideline feature only for NA market. They definitely would want not to offer such feature for as long as they can to recoup some R&D cost.

I have 2018 GT and was looking how to enable but abandoned the project due to the wiring, new camera and programming needed.
Its a 4pin wiring rear camera vs 3pin.
I’m not surprised as Mazda is pretty good to prevent any “easy” way to add features the trim level doesn’t offer. Most add-on features aren’t plug and play.

Its another cost cutting move from Mazda NA:(
Yes, it definitely is.

I am pretty sure the latest Signature trim (2022-) has that ability. In the normal view, not the lens.
I anti cutting wires otherwise would have installed it by now.
But you are right, its sad that even most official accessories require splicing wires :( heck even the wiring for the official towing needs splicing.
Only the frameless rear view mirror can be installed without splicing but its pita to depin the pins because Mazda make sure they dont match even though the connector matches.

Last edited:
Back