Water pump

I think my water pump went out because it leacks water. My question is how much does the pump cost and how hard it is to change out and if i drive it will it mess anything up in the car.

the pump is run off of the alternator belt but its under the timing belt i believe. im gonna do one when i decide i dont feel lazy. might as well do the timing belt at the same time. i found several prices. my dealer wanted $110, montgomery mazda online wanted $80~, advanced auto wanted $67 just to name a few.

pretty sure the water pump is run off the timing belt..... not the alternator belt.

as far as driving.. as long as the water pump is still doing its job, and JUST leaking, you'll be fine if you keep coolant in it.. otherwise, if the water pump isn't functioning, you'll have an issue and probably over heat, and/or blow the head gasket.

i just looked it up on my protege shop manual and it has a pic of the drive belts and it shows the water pump and alternator on the same belt. i havent dug into that area yet so im just going by what im reading. the dealership told me that if you take the timing belt cover off and theres green crap coming out of the weep hole under the waterpump then it needs to be replaced. that sounds kinda strange to me though.

ya its just ran by the alt belt...i need to do mine also as the bearing is failing and it squeels all the time... i believe its 40 bucks at oriellys...

ya its just ran by the alt belt...i need to do mine also as the bearing is failing and it squeels all the time... i believe its 40 bucks at oriellys...

hmm weird.. but ok. good to know. i haven't actually seen or broken down a protege motor for some time:(

Thanx guys for the help some mechanic quoted me 225 to change the timing belt and the water pump. He said you have to take out the timing belt to get to the pump.

The 225 is just for labor I have to buy the belt and pump so it will be like 350 or 400 total is that a good price or is it too much?

I'd suggest: T-belt, tensionor pully w/the spring, valve cover gasket, AND the water pump. I'm just suggesting as I've seen the pully sieze up, or the valve cover leak oil. It all depends on what you want to spend.

Back