2010 CX-9 Water pump failure?

A little late to the game, sorry if it's been discussed, did a quick search to no avail, I have a 2010 CX9 3.7(just hit 160,000miles) I have what I assume is a water pump failure, sending coolant into the oil, The funny thing is, its running temp is perfect(it is running a little rough, throwing a p0016 code), I was informed about a "water pump lawsuit" which with the mileage I have, I assume I cannot participate in, it actually started around the 150,000-mile mark, I've been driving and changing the oil frequently, so far, so ehh, any ideas on why this thing would not run hot if it's losing coolant into the engine? Unless it is not the pump(?), To me, the car is not worth the 3 to 4 grand to change the water pump, unless, of course, I am eligible for a fix from Mazda LOL!!, just trying to figure this puppy out...

If you've driven it for 10,000 miles with this going on I doubt it is mixing with the oil. Your oil would be like a chocolate milkshake if the coolant is mixing with it. What exactly are your symptoms? Just coolant loss? If so it’s probably leaking through the weep hole. There are tons of threads on this. A few in recent days even. Look in the powertrain section.

I’m changing the oil again tomorrow, there’s definitely coolant in there, although not milkshakeish, symptoms are:
-coolant disappearing from fill tank,
-No leaks anywhere to be found, I mean anywhere, I’ve racked my brain searching.
-it runs a little rough, has a p0016 code, I’ve changed the crank and camshaft sensors last year when the check engine light came in, hasn’t gone off since😂. I probably jumped a tooth on the timing also.
Strangely enough, it never goes hot, stays right in the middle of the gauge with no coolant in the tank. It’s almost like it leaves the tank into the oil but no more than that, I mean I agree the oil should be milkshake, I’ll take a look again when I change the oil tomorrow, on the dipstick it just seems really thinned out, I’ll also look in the section you mentioned on here, thanks🍻

Mine had just small amounts of coolant going into the oil. Car still ran fine and didn't overheat. Obviously this will damage the engine overtime. I think the overheating happens when the leak gets bigger and all the coolant flows into the oil and you end up running the engine without any coolant.

Well, low and behold I may have been looking too hard for spots to leak from, today while changing the oil, which did have some evidence of coolant, not too discolored though, I spotted a small amount of wetness where the power steering hose connects to the pump, took the tire and some plastics off to try for a better look and right in front of my face, I see this, not overly wet like an active leak, than again there’s no coolant in the res, it doesn’t run hot so, I guess I’ll just run it till I can’t no more..
IMG_2546.jpeg

Back