water getting in the instake?

drowningknot

:
06 M3s
Ok so I just bought this 06 MS3 about a month ago with 50000 miles on it and since ive had it ive noticed theengine light coming on whenever it was wet out. There was one day after a huge storm where when I started it it sounded like crap and it sounded like something was in the air instake, and then it starts blowin out white smoke. I looked at the air filter and it appeared rusty. I ended up changing it today here is a pic of the one i took out
Picture001.jpg

So I replaced it today and later went to the gas staton and it was pouring down rain and sure enough i back out and its running like crap and white smoke blowin out the tailpipe. the filter is locate just under the driver side headlight and theres holes in the plastic fender part that look like they are for air flow but it also looks like water can get right in. I guess im just wondering if I need to change where the filter is or if theres some other way to stop the water from gettingin, if that is in fact whats going on.

sorry for rambling, i tend to do that. thx

First - are you sure it's an '06 Speed3? They didn't start making them until 2007. Sounds like you have a cold air intake (CAI) setup if it's beneath the headlight. If it did this water thing with a new filter, then I would seriously get a different setup ASAP - maybe go back to stock (people sell those somewhat regularly) or go with a short ram setup (Cobb or CP-Nano)...maybe even another CAI (used Mazdaspeed version since they're still working on another revision). And I think you mean "intake" and not "instake" ;)

I'm hoping this didn't hydrolock at some point (doh)

Last edited:
There should be no holes in the fender liner. Sounds like the former owner did some type of creative "engineering" to develop some kind of home made CAI.

It also sounds like someone is taking that car through some very high water for it to get up behind the headlight. My guess is that the left front tire is slinging water through those holes onto the filter. Close up those holes RIGHT NOW.

Where did you get the replacement filter? What brand is it and how is it constructed?

I agree with the previous poster's advice to get that home made CAI out of there and replace it with a good brand name CAI or SRI. A good CAI should also have had a splash guard over the filter and NO HOLES IN THE FENDER LINER.

There should be no holes in the fender liner. Sounds like the former owner did some type of creative "engineering" to develop some kind of home made CAI.

It also sounds like someone is taking that car through some very high water for it to get up behind the headlight. My guess is that the left front tire is slinging water through those holes onto the filter. Close up those holes RIGHT NOW.

Where did you get the replacement filter? What brand is it and how is it constructed?

I agree with the previous poster's advice to get that home made CAI out of there and replace it with a good brand name CAI or SRI. A good CAI should also have had a splash guard over the filter and NO HOLES IN THE FENDER LINER.

eh? Only the MS CAI has a splash guard...and the stock MS3 has "vents" or openings in the stock fender liner...

Last edited:
I'd see about getting a stock airbox. Put the car back to stock, see if the issues disappear. If not, then at least you have a better starting point to see whats wrong with the car.

I hope you got an awesome deal on it...I don't think I'd ever buy a modded car that had 50k miles on it...

I think there are some horizontal slots in the liner. They are visible in this video at 2:07, if you freeze it at that point.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0DS4qGc7_Yk

They are slots and not big holes. They should let air in, but not water unless it was blowing really hard or the car went through high water above the slots. Are those what the OP is talking about or are there some new "holes" added to the liner? If that liner has been opened up, any extra holes should be covered.

As Hank3 stated Mazdaspeed 3's didn't come out till 07', so if it is an 06' it's not a MS3. In any case that filter looks like it's been submerged in water for a long time to have that much rust. Where did you buy the car and did you check for any other water damage interior/exterior. Get some pics of the engine bay and this CAI that's on your car so maybe someone can figure out what it is and why it's sucking up water. For sure it looks like you should put another air intake in it's place right away... that filter is toast.

My bad i didn'tmen to put MS3 its an 06 M3. I havn't seen any other water damage anywhere. The filter is sits just above the slots in the fendor liner under the headlight. The slots do appear stock not like someone cutthem in themselves. I think the filter i bought for it is made by spectre about half the price of the K&N as i was running low on funds. Heres a few more pics, shoulda taken one when i had the bumber off changing the filter, but i didnt really think of it then.

Picture003.jpg

Picture005.jpg

Picture007.jpg

I am surprised that no one has mentioned how notoriously bad the Mazda 3 fender liners leak. Most of the water tends to drip from above but if your filter was that bad, and your car is throwing a CEL in wet weather I suggest that you
get rid of the CAI asap and either put it back to stock or get an SRI for it.

It sounds to me as if there is more water than even a normal 3 getting in there.

yeah so i put a tmp fix on it for now till i can get it replaced, I ran some water on my hood on the side right above where the filter is and it runs right down on top of the filter. I just rigged a thick piece of plastic between the headlight and filter. should keep the water away for now untill i get the money to fix it. I think I'm just going to try a SRI. Anyone know a good site with good prices?

Last edited:
Back