Warranty Turbo Fight

koston33

Quick Story. Turbo needs to be replaced, Mazda won't warranty the repair. I only have 40000 on my 07 Speed. I do have a downpipe and race pipe that are not catted. I plan on taking legal action. One because my friends a lawyer and would do it for free, and two I do no like being pushed around. What I'm looking for is any literature about turbos going bad. I'm looking for any TSB's on the turbo or PCV valve that will help me in my case. I thought I read something awhile back about a bad batch of turbos. Also anyone know where I can find the full warranty contract. Thanks guys.

you modified your exhaust directly affecting your turbo and 40k inset brand new anymore, your wasting your time sorry to say, should have stocked out first.

you modified your exhaust directly affecting your turbo and 40k inset brand new anymore, your wasting your time sorry to say, should have stocked out first.
+1 Yea, everyone knows your suppose to put your car back to stock before going to the dealership for warranty work. So in other words, your pretty much screwed.

I think OP wants to make a test case for an inherent design problem with either the turbo seals or the pcv system. Mazda has to prove that that his mods caused the failure. The burden will be on them. OP needs data on what actually causes these turbos to fail, even on stock cars. For such a test case, it might actually be beneficial to have a modded car. If he wins by proving the defect in either the turbo or the pcv system with a catless dp/rp, then it is a win for everyone. Mazda will fight that hard, but they might just want to settle with him rather than push too hard.

I think OP might want to go over to the MSF board where there are a lot of technical posts and entire "sticky" threads on this issue developed by some pretty serious "gear head" types.

It's almost not even worth the time and money, for something that will only take you a few hundred dollars to fix... Unless he is really that determined to prove a point and stick it to Mazda. His lawyer friend might be willing to give him free advice if anything, but I doubt any decent, hard working lawyer is gonna go to court and fight something this small. And btw, I wouldn't suggest any one from here to go over to MSF and ask for any advice from those bunch of dicks LOL

Subiekiller3, I'm from that forum...so watch out...and the only reason they are dicks is becuase ppl don't donate and ask stupid questions that can be found by searching....forum isn't for a noob....it is the best forum u can join for a speed owner, who actually wants to mod etc

And there is a tsb on msf for ya too...i bet he could win the case, cause these turbos are s***....build up to much oil pressure for the seals to handle and eventually just give out....to OP, just isn't worth it tho, take 3 hrs out of ur day if that, put back to stock, boom, done....new turbo.....mods put back on, enjoy.

And what r u talking about couple hundred dollar fix?? The k04 is over $1000 from the dealer+w.e huge labor charges they will charger u.

Last edited:
Subiekiller3, I'm from that forum...so watch out...and the only reason they are dicks is becuase ppl don't donate and ask stupid questions that can be found by searching....forum isn't for a noob....it is the best forum u can join for a speed owner, who actually wants to mod etc

And there is a tsb on msf for ya too...i bet he could win the case, cause these turbos are s***....build up to much oil pressure for the seals to handle and eventually just give out....to OP, just isn't worth it tho, take 3 hrs out of ur day if that, put back to stock, boom, done....new turbo.....mods put back on, enjoy.

And what r u talking about couple hundred dollar fix?? The k04 is over $1000 from the dealer+w.e huge labor charges they will charger u.
First of all, I think they take it too far on msf with the trying to get everyone to donate. Donating is optional. If they are trying to make money on that forum then they should just go ahead and charge everyone a fee to be a member. I'm sure they are making enough money from advertisements to keep the forum running. Just think its unecessary for the "v.i.p.'s" to go around harrassing people and calling them names just because they choose not to donate. Some of us like me that only go on there every once in a blue moon, dont have computers at home or the time of day to sit around trolling a Mazda forum for that matter. I used to just go on there to see what's in the for sale section, but now you cant even do that bc those greedy ***** made it where you have to donate to have access.

There was a bad batch of turbo's that came on a good number of the 07's. OP could have gotten one, but then again there's no way to be sure since he's modded the car and probably ran the car hard without a propper tune. The ko4 really isnt that bad of a turbo in general. But obviously people have to realize they are taking a risk when they mod. I'm not a big fan of Mazda's service department, but when you take your car in bc the turbo is ****** and they dont want to warranty bc they see that the car has been modded, dont be mad bc at the end of the day its your own damn fault.

And yea, it can be fixed for a couple hundred dollars. No one said he has to go buy a brand new turbo from the dealer. He could get a used one in decent shape, and install it himself or have someone from the Mazda community do it for him on the cheap or maybe even free.

Last edited:
How can you guys tell if your turbo is really shot? I know to look out for white smoke while idling and oil leak I guess. Anything else?

How can you guys tell if your turbo is really shot? I know to look out for white smoke while idling and oil leak I guess. Anything else?

Will smoke like hell and smell like s***.....kno how, mine is blown....have a mod friendly dealer gonna warranty it.

You cannot find better info pertaining to the MZR than whats on MSF. Yeah they pushed the donating thing a bit too hard for a while but i havent seen that in quite some time now. People ask some dumb s*** though, that can be found just by reading sticky's. Its absolutley ridiculous.

Anyways to the OP, Id try stocking out and hitting up a different dealer if they didnt brand you. Yeah they know the turbos are prone to problems, but they will look for any excuse not to replace it.

Well, that's the most common set of symptoms.

But a "shot" turbo can simply start dropping maximum boost and make you think you have a boost leak. I'm having that issue right now at 61,000 miles. No smoke, no oil leaks, just down on boost.

And I've carefully boost leak tested it, checked wastegate solenoid function, wastegate actuator function and even checked the wastegate flapper itself. The only thing left is the turbo itself, probably an exhaust leak from the impeller side into the downpipe even with the wastegate closed.

I do think my sort of failure is probably rare, however.

It's almost not even worth the time and money, for something that will only take you a few hundred dollars to fix.
20.creation.jpg

It's almost not even worth the time and money, for something that will only take you a few hundred dollars to fix.
20.creation.jpg

How is it a few hundred dollars when the k04 from a dealer cost about $1100... Unless u find a used turbo for cheap, in actual good working condition and install it yourself.

Admitting he's running exhaust components without cats is like basically driving around admitting you're breaking federal law OP. If you went to the dealer with the exhaust like that, they could get in trouble even touching those parts, and I'm willing to bet they've noted your VIN to that effect.

Buy a used k04 and call it a day.

Latest posts

Back