Wagner 2.0 N/A Header Installed!

viVid

:
02 Protege5
That's right, I just got done installing it after just receiving it today (I couldn't wait any longer!). Installation was a breeze, took less time than I thought (less than an hour). I didn't have ANY fitment issues... I don't know if I was just lucky, it was my turn for something to go right, or it that well built :)

On my first run I definitlely noticed some better top-end power and it seems smoother. I'm sure it will take a few days before the ECU gets reaquanted with its new self, and I should see maximum gains then.

Here are a few tips to make your installation easier:

1) Let the engine cool down (braindead
2) Use WD-40 liberally on all the nuts/bolts.
3) Remove the bolt that holds the EGR tube to the engine block.
4) There are two brackets under the car that hold the precat/downpipe in place. You will need to remove these to gain enough clearance to remove the manifold.
5) Don't tighten down ANY bolts until the EGR is hooked up and tight.

That's about it. Oh, and here's some pics. The last two are of the stock manifold in case you have not seen one :)

HInstall1.JPG

HInstall2.JPG

StockMan1.JPG

StockMan2.JPG

make sure you torque down the manifold bolts to no more than 14-18 pounds. looks nice. welds look a little unfinished, but overall, much cleaner engine bay. congrats!

tonkabui said:
make sure you torque down the manifold bolts to no more than 14-18 pounds. looks nice. welds look a little unfinished, but overall, much cleaner engine bay. congrats!
^^^What he said about torque on the bolts. I did mine without a torque wrench, then went back to redo them, and pieces of the threads came out with the bolt because I had tightened them down waaaaay too tight. I probably put 40-50 pounds on them. :( Holding so far.

EDIT: Header look very nice. Looks like they leave a lot more room than my AWR.

live and learn the hard way,
scorch70

The flange they sell is for people wanting to built there own custom header or turbo manifold. These headers are prebuilt using that flange. (the flange is the flat part that bolts to the block)
I can't wait for mine to come in, I also got the downpipe w/o cat!

viVid said:
That's right, I just got done installing it after just receiving it today (I couldn't wait any longer!). Installation was a breeze, took less time than I thought (less than an hour). I didn't have ANY fitment issues... I don't know if I was just lucky, it was my turn for something to go right, or it that well built :)
viVid what are the size of the nuts and bolts and any other hardware that is required??? you did replace all the stock rusted nuts and bolts right? Also did you replace the studs??? Another question did you buy a new gasket or did the header come with one?? Also what are the sizes for the ones for the stock exhaust manifold that bolt on to the stock pre-cat?Now about the studs? how are they? are they sticking out or bolted in. My cousin said that they are hard as hell to replace on his car because you need a special tool or something and that it sucks if you break a stud off. I'am not sure how they are on the P5?? Anyone also know the size for the bolts and nuts I want to replace as much as the stock hardware as I can since it's really rusted to s*** and want everything brand new since I'am getting a new header. Thanks

03ProES said:
The flange they sell is for people wanting to built there own custom header or turbo manifold. These headers are prebuilt using that flange. (the flange is the flat part that bolts to the block)
I can't wait for mine to come in, I also got the downpipe w/o cat!
Me too(attn) 03ProES you order your header at the GB over at protegeclub right? Anyway I can't wait to install this bad boy when it comes in and then I will order the mid-pipe w/o a cat and later save up for a hi-flow pre-cat N/A down-pipe I can't wait.

kid prodigy said:
Im a noob so I just wanted to know whats the difference with the downpipe w/ and w/o the cat ?
The difference is that one is for people who car about emissons the other one is for people who don't care. Either way this piece goes right after the wagner header which can then go to the wanger mid-pipe if you want to complete the whole wanger exhaust system set-up like I do.

Last edited:
The stock downpipe has one of the catalytic converters built into it, you can order the Wagner piece with or without it. I opted to eliminate the first, and keep the second cat that's in the midpipe. If you have emissions testing wherever you are, you'll need to keep both of them more than likely.

Subghetto, yeah, I ordered mine over there as well.

Last edited:
How much is the full set up (headers, downpipe, etc.) ?? I have emissions here so that means I need the cat right ?

I'm not sure what size the bolts/nuts are... the head size it 12mm, but that doesn't really help you. I did not replace them because mine looked almost new and came off very easy. Surprising considering my car is almost 3 years old!

The header did not come with any gaskets. I had a manifold-to-head gasket back from when I was originally going to get an AWR. There is also a gasket that goes between the manifold and precat. I reused the same one and so far it is holding up fine.

The studs should be easy enough to replace. I had to replace the intake manifold studs with longer ones when I put my spacers in. Piece of cake if you use the jamb nut method.

Subghetto said:
viVid what are the size of the nuts and bolts and any other hardware that is required??? you did replace all the stock rusted nuts and bolts right? Also did you replace the studs??? Another question did you buy a new gasket or did the header come with one?? Also what are the sizes for the ones for the stock exhaust manifold that bolt on to the stock pre-cat?Now about the studs? how are they? are they sticking out or bolted in. My cousin said that they are hard as hell to replace on his car because you need a special tool or something and that it sucks if you break a stud off. I'am not sure how they are on the P5?? Anyone also know the size for the bolts and nuts I want to replace as much as the stock hardware as I can since it's really rusted to s*** and want everything brand new since I'am getting a new header. Thanks

kid prodigy said:
How much is the full set up (headers, downpipe, etc.) ?? I have emissions here so that means I need the cat right ?
Mild Steel Header-$185
Stain-less Steel Header-$285
SS downpipe with cat-$300
SS downpipe without cat- $175
SS Mid-pipe with cat-$300
SS Mid-pipe without cat-$175

Yeah for emissions I would at least retain 1 cat so that you might be able to pass as a LEV.

kid prodigy said:
So I'm looking at $1000. Maybe I should start saving for the headers first and the rest later.
Yeah I personally did that over time is not that bad.

This is my future set-up Wanger SS header-----> Wagner Hi-flow Pre-cat Downpipe-----> Wagner Mid-pipe w/o cat------> HKS axle back

I already have the hks axle back and ordered the header so all I need is the mid-pipe and the downpipe it's worth the money considering all the pieces are made in high grade SS and come with the best cats on the market not to mention you have the option of staying legal and still making as much power as those that run cat-less. Another thing is that these pieces are all manderl bent which most custom shops won't do unless they are really into high performance.

Btw... $1000 might sound like a lot but that's in one shot but over time it's nothing I've already spent $2,500 on my mods and the tab keeps adding up just don't thing about it lol because then you will go crazy (eekdance)

Last edited:
You would need both to remain fully emissions compliant. If your state does not do visual inspections, you could get away with one cat... it will still pass.

kid prodigy said:
Would it be a waste if i got both cats, or would that be better for me cause of emissions ?

kid prodigy said:
Would it be a waste if i got both cats, or would that be better for me cause of emissions ?
s*** bro you live in cali they have strong emissions compliance laws over there I think you will need both cats there. Here in NY you can get away with running 1 cat and be classified as a (LEV) Low Emissions vehicle and will still pass you but in cali it's serious just to make sure check out the laws that is what I will be doing as well because I'am not 100% sure either.

Well, viVid, what about performance and sound? I see you're running the Racing Beat, also. How does this header affect the exhaust note?

Hey vivid that is a sweet set up. Hopefully the combo that I ordered will be hear soon.(Header,Down pipe without cat and mid pipe with cat plus a few extras)

Back