VIN located on FSDET?

OnlyStandard

:
Mazda Protege5
Hey guys. Not new to forums, but new here. Apologies in advance if this is the wrong spot. Love Mazdas.

I'm going to try to simplify this as much as possible. Also im on mobile. So here's the skinny.

I have a low mileage P5 (red, 72k). On craigslist is a higher mileage P5 (silver 154k) with an MSP swap for cheap. My current plan is to take the MSP engine, fix/upgrade where necessary, install into the red P5, and daily or sell the silver P5.

To be legal for public roads in the state of California, engine swaps must be approved by the BAR. Aftermarket parts must also be approved by the state. There is no evidence that the silver car was BAR'd. It has passed and failed smog several times, but its not clear if this is before or after the swap. Furthermore, it has at one point failed the visual for "tampering". This could be for the turbo, but it could also be for something as simple as a non-California legal intake. There are no details. The current owner bought it as-is and doesn't have any details.

So my concern before I start this project is, is this an engine swap or did the PO swap the turbo parts? The easiest way of figuring this out is comparing the VIN on the block to the VIN on the car. I can't find any info on where the VIN on the block is, and I have heard it isn't there at all. If the latter is the case, presumably I can swap Mazdaspeed turbo parts and just SAY I swapped engines when I get it inspected - no one would know the difference.

So TLDR: Does the FSDE(T) have the vin anywhere on the block?

There is an FS stamp with 6 numbers after it, but they don't match the VIN of the cars they came out of.

Back