ViCS vs VTCS with PICS!

cold starts are basically what its for... so, let that help you decide.

dude, really? you contradict yourself by posting a link that explains the VTCS system, not the VICS system.

the VICS system does NOT open shorter runners, and it pains me to see so much wrong information being spread on the interwebz, but what can you do.

oh, and the protege FAQ is wrong with respect to VICS operation, but edwin is too much of a wanker to admit it and make the change.
thank you.

alright, well this has devolved into pointlessness. I will take exception to one point made by wagonbacker above, which I believe is wrong. Contrary to what he said, the VTCS system does not increase air flow volume.

But seriously, does anyone have their manifold out, and perhaps post up some pics to resolve this?

I feel like this is turning into the great "Interference or Non-Interference Motor" debate

alright, well this has devolved into pointlessness. I will take exception to one point made by wagonbacker above, which I believe is wrong. Contrary to what he said, the VTCS system does not increase air flow volume.

But seriously, does anyone have their manifold out, and perhaps post up some pics to resolve this?

I feel like this is turning into the great "Interference or Non-Interference Motor" debate
LOOK AT THE FIRST PAGE!!!!

the MP3 manifold flows better and cleaner than any other protege manifold. Why? Because it is VTCS-less. I don't know how you can disagree. there is an obstruction in the intake... you remove it, you get less turbulience, and more flow. bottom line.

Last edited:

Post pics of what? The same thing that was posted in the first post? What do we need to know that we don't already know about these two systems? I feel like all questions have been answered already.

the MP3 manifold flows better and cleaner than any other protege manifold. Why? Because it is VTCS-less. I don't know how you can disagree. there is an obstruction in the intake... you remove it, you get less turbulience, and more flow. bottom line.

Lol - epic fail on my part :) - I'm trying top finish up a research paper at the same time as reading posts on here, so I'm not all in the game right now...

Dude, check your words. You said that VTCS increases flow volume.

But seriously, I wouldn't mind a shot down inside that VICS chamber to see if it leads anywhere...

Living in Colorado where it gets cold for 8 months of the year... should I not mess with this (VTCS)?
You live in Golden, CO not Anchorage, Alaska. It doesn't get that cold here. I live in Highlands Ranch and have been VTCS-less for 2 full winters now.

You live in Golden, CO not Anchorage, Alaska. It doesn't get that cold here. I live in Highlands Ranch and have been VTCS-less for 2 full winters now.

Lol - try coming to Iowa sometime. We have a temp. range of 110 degrees in the summer to 50 below in the winter. It's about as hostile of territory as you can get, and a good buddy of mine has been running fine without VTCS for several years.

Lol - try coming to Iowa sometime. We have a temp. range of 110 degrees in the summer to 50 below in the winter. It's about as hostile of territory as you can get, and a good buddy of mine has been running fine without VTCS for several years.
um..... you need to get out more.

Okay. Not sure why you wrote this...I'm not saying it's not bad up in Wisconsin.

try going to an actual extreme climate. alaska, arizona, hell... iraq... before you say iowa is harsh. in reality, its pretty mediocre here in the midwest, we've got it easy.

try going to an actual extreme climate. alaska, arizona, hell... iraq... before you say iowa is harsh. in reality, its pretty mediocre here in the midwest, we've got it easy.

whatever dude - obviously I wasn't comparing Iowa to Iraq, but I'm not going to argue about the weather with you.

if you remove.... what do you do with the thing that moves the vtcs???? just live it like that???

you can either leave the rod in (half ass way) or remove it and fill in the holes with either JB weld, or weld them, or... *insert other solution here*

if you remove.... what do you do with the thing that moves the vtcs???? just live it like that???
You leave the actuator in place, still hooked up to the vacuum system. It will still move the actuator rod in and out, but the rod is no longer hooked up to the butterflies.

Back