Valves/Lifter Shims

Brannon9827

:
2003 Mazdaspeed Protege
So I did a rebuild on my MSP and installed forged rods and pistons as well as had everything resurfaced. Well now I have everything together and the car will not start. So first I checked to make sure all the wires were correct and they were. Then checked the sparkplugs and they all spark. So I did a compression test and there was no compression. The car is also in time. So I thought maybe by accident I put the cams on the wrong side, but I checked and they are correct. Then I checked the spacing between the shims and cam and every one of them are extremely tight against the shaft. I did a smoke test and found out that air was coming in from the intake and out the exhaust at the same time. So now I am confused, does this mean the machine shop messed up? Do I need to get new valves, new shims? If anyone has any advice or even if this has happened to someone before please help. Thanks

Did you replace the cams? Did the machine shop that did your head work put the shims and buckets back into the proper place? If not your clearances could easily be way out of whack.

Okay, what happened was when I had the head resurfaced, Even though they only take off fractions of an inch off of the head. It was just enough to mess up the lash (spacing) between the shim and cam. Im going to order new shims today and will be testing it out.

That makes no sense. That would not affect valve clearance whatsoever. They're feeding you a line of bulls***.

I Bet they put your shims back in the wrong place and your clearances are ****** up.

Back