USB not Working

:
Mazda CX5
I have a 2014 Mazda CX5. I have been using my mp3 for the past six months without a problem utilizing the USB input. Yesterday for no reason the USB connection stopped working. No warning. No glitches. No nothing. Anyone know what is the reason for this issue?

Well, no need for response. I was checking my mp3 player and I noticed the usb input connection to the player has a little play where the usb connects which is causing a bad connection to the unit. In short, I have a short in my mp3 player. The car system is fine.

Occasionally, my USB will stop working such that I can't FF or RW tracks...or go back to the album / playlist selections...but the song will continue playing. I then have to pull out the stick and reload it (which is a pain in the ass). This started happening a couple months ago (10 months old). To be honest, this stereo sucks ass. Too many bugs (no resume play and Mazda dragging it's heals on a fix), not enough features (no scanning on USB), and the sound sucks (or, it is less than I anticipated from Bose). I'm planning on ripping the whole thing out and going aftermarket. Great vehicle, but Mazda really dropped the ball here, imo.

Bon

I'm a little hazy on the functionality of the USB... I tried to connect my Moto X (2nd gen with Lollipop) to the USB because I heard that lollipop now supports audio over USB like iPhone. But nothing happened. Not even charging. I know the cable works because I plugged the cable into the cigarette lighter charger and it started charging. I would've thought that I would get at least a slow charge out of the thing. I'm concerned that maybe the USB port is busted? I still have to try a USB stick to test, though.

Can you plug an iPhone into the USB port to control music that way? Or is this one of those things that make this headunit suck donkey balls?

Donkey balls. iPhone or iPod into the USB port doesn't work worth a crap. Best way to use the iPhone to stream music is via bluetooth - you get song info on the screen and can use controls to skip, etc, however, the built in Apple player won't be able to shuffle or repeat. Someone in this forum suggested getting the LouderLogic app for music playback where shuffle/repeat works and I have done that and it works. Also, burning MP3/AAC CDs will allow you to resume but you will be limited to 800 MB of data.

USB port also has to completely re-scan a USB stick with AAC or MP3 files upon re-starting the car and it will start at the first alphabetic track every time. There is a very long thread on the USB resume issue. I have recently found a modification that will make the USB resume and initial testing looks pretty good - but you have to have skills to modify the wiring harness.

We just got a 2015 CX-5 Touring with Nav, 2wd and I thought the USB would charge my phone or IPAD. It does not, in fact it isn't highlighted on the dash. I'm not sure it works. Or is it just for playing direct to the radio? Bluetooth works great. I think when we first got it, it would charge the phone. I can wiggle it and it will seem to charge for a second. I may have been seeing things. Anyone else with this problem? Other than that I really love the car.

We just got a 2015 CX-5 Touring with Nav, 2wd and I thought the USB would charge my phone or IPAD. It does not, in fact it isn't highlighted on the dash. I'm not sure it works. Or is it just for playing direct to the radio? Bluetooth works great. I think when we first got it, it would charge the phone. I can wiggle it and it will seem to charge for a second. I may have been seeing things. Anyone else with this problem? Other than that I really love the car.
I have a 2014 Mazda CX-5 and the USB port no longer works. I have 2 iPod classics and 2 nano-pods. I purchased new apple cables because the dealer checked it and said it was my cable, not the USB port. None of the four work in the car. The USB icon on the radio will not light up, no connection. It is definitely a bad USB port but the dealer keeps insisting it is my devices!

Anyone else having a similar issue?

Back